Author Topic: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?  (Read 3394 times)

Yarnspinner

Re: Does your cat/dog KNOW when they're headed to the vet?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:16 PM »
When Kitty Such was alive, I used a technique I learned from--of all places--the For Better or For Worse comic strip.  I pulled out the carrier, which happily (for me) had a top opening, as well as a side opening.  I opened the top and left it by the door where Kitty didn't see it.

Then I grabbed a towel and a the brush and gathered her up, spread the towel in my lap and brushed her until she was limp.  This is where the FBOFW comes in:  immediately I wrapped the towel about her so she looked like a chubby kitty taco, snuggled her in my arms and popped her in the cage.

Of course, one was obliged to slam the top down immediately as she could get out of the taco wrap in 5 seconds flat. 

All the way to the vet I heard the plaintive "Mommy, WHY are You Torturing Me?" song.  And if she was staying for a kennel (and spa) visit while I was on vacation, you can bet I got cussed out nine ways to Tuesday all the way home.  ("Meeeeow!  Meeeeow!  Meeeeow!"

The funniest time, I hate to admit it, was when she was so mad, she decided to indicate it by peeing in her towel free carrier and looked at me smugly as if to say "There you miserable woman, SMELL the heat of my rage!"

She didn't bank on us going around a corner which caused the urine to run towards her.  Poor kitty was backed up flat against the back of the carrier screeching her fear of her own bodily effluvia alllllllll the way home.

And yes, I had to bathe her once we got home.....and I had just paid someone else to do that!  I think we were both punished that day.

Coralreef

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
The dogs were always happy to go to the vet.  They'll jump on the scale without prompting.  Not so much happiness at getting their temperature taken, but overall, there was no problems.

The parrot, on the other hand... I have some scars.

[/right

Cami

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
Our dog did, but that was because 95% of the time, the only reason he got into a car was to go to the vet because my family ascribed to the theory that our pets belonged in our home.

Betelnut

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »
Nah, they're pretty stupid.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »
I swear my dogs stop listing at the word "go", as in "We're going to the vet", they hear "We're going" and are like alright lets go, come on, leashes, shoes and out the door! They don't seem to realize whats going on until the see the vet tech in scrubs. Then they're both like, no, no thank you. Before they're walking all around, sniffing everything, saying hi to people, happy as clams!

They're actually pretty good during the exam. Though one of my boys has learned to sit as soon as he see the thermometer. Just sits all the way down and looks at us like, this is what you wanted right? I did sit! Where's my treat? The other just kinda lays down, holds his rump up a little, like just get it over with already.

It helps that a good visit to the vet results in a good treat. I have a feeling when we do the kid thing a good visit the pediatrician will also yield similar results.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
My dogs all loved the vet clinic - they got fussed over and in the great balance of Dog Logic, the excitement outweighed the occasional Bad Thing.

The downside: My ancient dog Josey was arthritic and frail. When I took her to the vet to be put down, the excitement and fun of being at the vet gave her a burst of happy energy. So I'm in tears at the counter, paying in advance. Another client asked what's wrong, and I sobbed, "I'm here to have her put down."

Client looked down at this bouncy, happy, excited Australian shepherd and luckily forebore to say anything.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

onikenbai

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »
My SIL is my vet so 50% of the time she comes to me.  This leads to one confused and conflicted kitty when she comes over.  He can't quite decide whether to surf in for scritches or to keep his distance because she's the one that pokes him with pointy things.  When he does make the trip into the clinic, he does a great velcro impression: we literally have to turn the carrier on its end and shake it to get him out, and then he immediately clings to me like a koala.  And yet, every single time I get the carrier out he seems to have zero memory of ever having seen it before.  The joy of having a pure bred idiot.  So beautiful, yet so dumb.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »
Ah, the Delightful Doofus model of cat.

My youngest was fostered at the vet hospital so I'm always a little worried that they won't give her back.  Every doctor has to stop by and cuddle her.  She voices her displeasure at being put in the car and then she pouts. 

BB-VA

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
Forgot to mention the Beaglemix Twins. 

Gracie didn't mind the vet all that much - it was fussing over!!!  she was SO entitled to be fussed over, just because she was GRACIE!!

Brother Carl, OTOH, would sit under the chair in the waiting room - and pant.  And drool.  You could tell where he had been just by the drool.  Whichever one of us took him, we had to be sure to sit in a chair that he could get under.  He would really go bonkers if he couldn't get under the chair.  OH well, it did help contain the drool...
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 01:11:50 AM »
It is a two person job for any of our cats to get them in the carrier.  They don't seem to know it's coming - of course recently we have been to the vet so many times that the carrier is just left out so taking it out doesn't give them a warning.  Poor Mouse is always so scared - he cries his heart out on the way there and always pees himself and needs to be cleaned up.  A 19lb cat is not so easy to clean but they do what they can.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Oh yes, they know. Trying to put them in the carriers is not fun, and the claws come out to play.

veronaz

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
The carrier is sitting out.  Getting geared up for vet appointment tomorrow.
Kitty knows something is up.........giving me the "who do you think you're kidding?" stinkeye. :-\

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 08:45:33 PM »
They do get a bit twitchy when we get out the carriers, but they also like to sleep in those and we put them in them when they go on visits when there's an inspection.

Going to the vet for our two involves walking up and down a hill, as we don't have a car, DH wants to get a kitty pram.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
Smokey (our lab/hound mix) LOVES going to the vet.  It involves car rides, which are the best thing ever, and people who pet him and talk to him and give him treats!  He will happily bounce out of the car, drag me through the doors, and spend 20 minutes investigating every nook and cranny he can access.  He stands nicely on the scale, hops up on the counter to say hi to people, etc.  My vet loves him and he loves her right back! 

My old dog, Rody, hated the vet.  He'd clamp his tail between his legs, and stare mournfully at everyone to announce his mistreatment.  He turned into a puddle of jello when in the exam room, so we'd have to hoist him up on the table and move him around as needed.  It did make things a bit easier for the vet since he never fought. 

One of my parent's dogs, Ziggy (half lab, half husky), was a talker.  We used to say that he was talking under his breath, since he was usually pretty quiet about it.  When we took Ziggs to the vet, the talking got a little loud and a little closer to growling than normal, and we joked that he was cussing us out in dog language.  :P

BigBadBetty

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »
My current dog doesn't mind the vet. She hates the groomer. She stops walking about 2 blocks from the groomer. My former dog didn't like the groomer, but she seemed to have no clue where we were going. I don't have any fear that the groomer is hurting my dogs. My current dog hates being bathed and brushed. My last dog couldn't stand having her nails cut or dremeled.