General Etiquette > Life...in general

Re: Shoe Shopping Ambush UPDATE PG 6

(1/20) > >>

weeblewobble:
Since getting into shape, I've developed a passion for cute high heels.  I'm six feet tall and before I tried to "hide" my height by only wearing flats or low heels. But now, I'm wearing nicer clothes and my balance has improved significantly, so why not wear platforms if I can get around in them without injury?

There was a HUGE shoe sale at my favorite store yesterday.  I tried on several pairs of 4-5 inch heels.  While I was walking around in them, testing their foot-pain factor, a woman approached me and said, "You're too tall to wear such high heels.  It's unattractive.  Men don't like women being taller than they are.  You should stick to flats and low heels."

I smiled at her sweetly and said, "I'll take that under advisement." and continued to try on my shoes. And resolved to buy several pairs of the tallest heels I could find.  Because THHHHPPP on her, that's why.

When the woman saw that I was trying on more high heels, she said, "I just said you shouldn't wear such high heels, why are you ignoring me?"

Me: (still smiling sweetly) "I said I would take it under advisement."

Her: "I don't like your attitude, smiling at me and acting like you're going to do what I say, when we both know you won't.  You're being really rude."

Me: "I'm sorry you feel that way."

And I picked up three pairs of shoes (with REALLY high heels) and took them to the register.  As I walked out with my purchases, I heard the woman griping to her friend about a "horrible young woman" who was rude and condescending while this lady was only trying to offer her advice.

Now, other than my "I'm sorry you feel that way" non-apology, I don't feel I was rude.  (I don't like non-apologies on principal, but this one seemed unavoidable.) I will admit that hearng someone tell me I should go back to my "old ways" and hide my height with shorter shoes struck a "GRRR" chord in my head.  I did avoid JADE-ing, by not telling her that 1) I enjoyed wearing high heels and 2) my husband, who is four inches taller than me, LOVES it when I wear heels because we see eye to eye.  And maybe I shouldn't have smiled at her, which seemed to set her off.

But really?  I'm supposed to follow the advice of a random stranger and change my shoe philosophy because she decides I'm unattractive?  How would my trusted ehellions have responded?

Also, do I have an invisible sign on my back that says, "Please come tell me what you think of me?"

Zilla:
I was going to ask if you know this person.  Honestly I admire that you were even able to speak.  I would have gaped at her like who the heck are you and do I know you?

Hmmmmm:
I think you handled it well.

On her second approach, I don't think I could have been as nice.

MorgnsGrl:
I think you handled it brilliantly.

menley:

--- Quote from: Zilla on September 19, 2013, 08:42:38 AM ---I was going to ask if you know this person.  Honestly I admire that you were even able to speak.  I would have gaped at her like who the heck are you and do I know you?

--- End quote ---

Same here! I would have been too shocked to speak. You were absolutely not rude (and perhaps even a little too polite!) and this woman was unspeakably rude.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version