General Etiquette > Life...in general

Please stop pawing my keys.

<< < (7/7)

Possum:

--- Quote from: jmarvellous on September 21, 2013, 01:24:52 PM ---While I think your account of your discussion makes it clear you weren't going to have a tag suddenly appear on your keys, I have been that customer who absently sets her keys down *somewhere* between herself and the clerk, sometimes closer to my side of the counter than I probably should, in order that the clerk might grab them to scan my card when she comes to that part of the process.

--- End quote ---
I've done that, too.  If they're in the middle of the counter, I don't mind so much.  But these were so far away enough from her that she was leaning forward and resting on her elbows while she went through them.  That also put them about inches from my belly!  Please don't put your head that close to my middle unless you're buying me dinner and a movie!  ;)

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: Possum on September 25, 2013, 01:50:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: jmarvellous on September 21, 2013, 01:24:52 PM ---While I think your account of your discussion makes it clear you weren't going to have a tag suddenly appear on your keys, I have been that customer who absently sets her keys down *somewhere* between herself and the clerk, sometimes closer to my side of the counter than I probably should, in order that the clerk might grab them to scan my card when she comes to that part of the process.

--- End quote ---
I've done that, too.  If they're in the middle of the counter, I don't mind so much.  But these were so far away enough from her that she was leaning forward and resting on her elbows while she went through them.  That also put them about inches from my belly!  Please don't put your head that close to my middle unless you're buying me dinner and a movie!  ;)

--- End quote ---

Or have four feet, a tail, and fur...sheesh...

mlogica:
No etiquette advice, I simply want to say that I never realized that many people see their keys as such a personal item.  As long as someone wasn't trying to take my keys away from me in order to break into my house or steal my car, if they were on a counter or a desk, in plain sight, someone handling them wouldn't bother me.  Depending on the situation it might seem a little odd, but "rude" wouldn't enter my mind.

Now I'm busily trying to remember if I've ever handled someone else's keys without permission.  I don't recall any incidents, so can only hope that either there were none, or they occurred with people who also weren't bothered.  But I'm filing this away for reference, for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version