Author Topic: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School  (Read 14089 times)

mrsbrandt

• I can run under a 9 minute mile!!!
    • Brandts Online
Stolen Lunch in Elementary School
« on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:05 PM »
My third grader brings her lunch to school the majority of the time. In her lunch is normally packed: (1) sandwich, (1) apple, (1) string cheese, (1) juice box, (1) bag of chips and (1) piece of candy. For the past two days both the chips and candy have gone missing from her lunch. The lunch is kept in her lunchbox inside of her locker. Additionally, about 3 weeks ago she purchased a candy bar at school (as part of a fundraiser) and kept it in her locker. That candy bar went missing. It may have been lost by her. However, I highly doubt the chips and candy in her regular lunch have ever been lost.

I would like some help crafting a note to her teacher about this situation. She hasn't yet told her teacher, but I told her to let him know tomorrow and I plan on sending a note or email and cc'ing the principal. I don't think this is anyone in administration or any of the teacher's faults. I just think this is an unacceptable situation and something needs to be done. I would appreciate any help you can give me in conveying that sentiment. Thank you.

LeveeWoman

Re: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »
Could the school be confiscating the chips, candy and candy bar?

Oh Joy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »
 I don't think this is anyone in administration or any of the teacher's faults. I just think this is an unacceptable situation and something needs to be done. I would appreciate any help you can give me in conveying that sentiment.

Uh oh!  Wonder if it's someone looking for goodies, or the school enforcing a food code.

The something that needs to be done is to have someone tell the teacher about it. 

Keep it simple.  Dear teacher,  DaughterBrandt tells me that food has been going missing from her locker.  First a candy bar a few weeks ago, and now both chips and a candy bar on both 09/17 and 09/18.  Have there been problems with items disappearing from lockers?  Also, please let me know if we can provide any more information to help figure out what's happening.  Thank you.  -Mrs. Brandt

Best wishes in solving the mystery.

heartmug

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
Do you think someone is breaking into her locker, or is someone getting to her lunch another place?
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
Dear Teacher,
  On dates x,y,z, my DD's lunch bag has had items missing when she went to lunch.  It is the same two items (a & b) and seems to be taken from her lunch bag after she puts it in her locker when she gets to school.  Is there a more secure location for her lunch bag to be kept everyday ?

Thank you
mrsbrandt

At our school, all carried lunches are collected in big plastic totes (each class has one, like a beach tote) and they are taken to the lunch room and put in the refrigerator.  Each classes totes are then pulled out when they go down for lunch and doled out.  We have over 750 kids in the school and somehow this system works very well.

AvidReader

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
mrsbrandt, I took your very well articulated words defining the problem and propose the following:

Dear (Teacher)-
I bring to your attention what my daughter (name) reported to me.  She brings her lunch to school the majority of the time. In her lunch is normally packed: (1) sandwich, (1) apple, (1) string cheese, (1) juice box, (1) bag of chips and (1) piece of candy. For the past two days (Tuesday, September 17 and Wednesday, September 18...or whatever is factually correct) both the chips and candy have gone missing from her lunch when she retrieved it. The lunch is kept in her lunchbox inside her locker.

I don't think this is the fault of the school's faculty or staff. This is an unacceptable situation and I wish it to be investigated.  I also wonder what suggestions you may have for a child to secure his/her lunch.

I look forward to your early response.

Thank you,
mrsbrandt
cc: School  Principal

If true, you may wish to add to the first paragraph: "She has not made an accusation that would identify who took these items."

mrsbrandt

• I can run under a 9 minute mile!!!
    • Brandts Online
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »
The school does not have a policy for confiscating food, that I am aware of. No information has come home regarding such a policy. Honestly, I can't imagine a teacher or someone just going into lockers and taking food out of lunch boxes. I assume if they had a policy they would tell students who violated the policy they were confiscating the food and not to bring it again.

My daughter walks into school every morning and drops off the backpack and lunch box in her locker every morning. The locker is located outside of the classroom in the hallway and none of the lockers have locking mechanisms. She returns to her locker at lunch time to retrieve her lunchbox and carries it into the lunchroom. At other random points during the day, children return to their lockers to retrieve different books/items for class. Based on the events my daughter describes it looks like it's going missing directly from the locker.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »
Are the lockers locked? If so, you might look into seeing if she can have a new lock issued, because someone may have sussed out her combination.

It doesn't sound like an official confiscation to me; it sounds like someone is raiding the most desirable items.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Can you lock her lunchbox somehow? Does her locker actually lock? If it doesn't, can you give her a lock to put on it (unless it is against school rules)? Evil Sami would like your daughter to fill her locker with marbles so the thief would be easily caught out. Or a camera that would take his/her picture the moment the locker is opened. Or some kind of non-toxic but obvious dye in food that would reveal the thief's identity...okay, I'm going off the rails here, so I'd better just stop it!

I agree that a missive to the teacher and copied to the principal is in order, as well. Perhaps something like this:

Dear Mr. Teachername,

My daughter, Superstudent, has told me that some items have been going missing from her lunch box for the past few days. Evidently someone has been going into her locker and removing these items while she is in class. I wonder if you are aware of any other students that may be having this problem?

Since this has become an issue for my daughter, I am requesting your help in coming up with a solution. I am concerned not only about the theft of her lunch items, but also that someone could easily put things in her locker, as well, that don't belong there. Please contact me at XXX to discuss the best way to ensure this does not happen again.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
mrsbrandt, I took your very well articulated words defining the problem and propose the following:

Dear (Teacher)-
I bring to your attention what my daughter (name) reported to me.  She brings her lunch to school the majority of the time. In her lunch is normally packed: (1) sandwich, (1) apple, (1) string cheese, (1) juice box, (1) bag of chips and (1) piece of candy. For the past two days (Tuesday, September 17 and Wednesday, September 18...or whatever is factually correct) both the chips and candy have gone missing from her lunch when she retrieved it. The lunch is kept in her lunchbox inside her locker.

I don't think this is the fault of the school's faculty or staff. This is an unacceptable situation and I wish it to be investigated.  I also wonder what suggestions you may have for a child to secure his/her lunch.

Thank you,
mrsbrandt

I loke this wording except for the part that I struck out.  I wouldn't make any statement regarding who I believe is (or is not) responsible.

Peregrine

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »
If it was me, I might leave out the exact items of food that are being stolen for fear of the administration coming back with the line; well just don't pack chips and candy she shouldn't be having them anyway.  That isn't the point of the complaint.  I would perhaps rephrase that along the lines of "desirable items" being stolen.

If the school isn't willing to do anything, I would ask them what they would be doing if it was a student's lunch money being stolen from their backpack.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
I am not sure I'd use the."unacceptablesituation" thing at this point. It kind of.suggests that they have already had a chance to fix it and failed to do so, which you find unacceptable. Since it seems that she never told them about the problem the tone vomes off as too confrontational.

Oh Joy

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »

Dear (Teacher)-

Thank you,
mrsbrandt

I loke this wording except for the part that I struck out.  I wouldn't make any statement regarding who I believe is (or is not) responsible.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the language about the unacceptable situation and demand for investigation reads, well, rather haughty and adversarial to me.  It's petty theft in a school setting, and - from what we know - the first that the school is learning about it.  I'd keep the tone more informative and cooperative, and only escalate if it's not handled appropriately.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
Oh Joy, it isn't just you.

bonyk

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
Skip the note, call the administration.  It's not happening in the room, therefore it's beyond the classroom teacher's control.