Author Topic: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School  (Read 14648 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »
Skip the note, call the administration.  It's not happening in the room, therefore it's beyond the classroom teacher's control.

That is another point - sounds like it is going on during class time (maybe a kid going to.the bathroom?) so the teacher is in class teaching.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »
While the school should be aware of the situation with a note/phone call, I'm not sure what they can do other than assign guards or start providing locks.  I don't see that happening though.  Until there is a solution, I would buy a lunch bag that can be locked, or somehow fashion the current bag to be able to lock.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »
This is something the school should be made aware of.

Have your child tell their teacher and you call the school office.

"Hi, this is MrsBrandt. My dd is in Mr  Z class in third grade. I'm fine thanks. DD has been having food taken from her lunchbox while its in her locker. I'm trying to find out who I should talk to about it to figure out what can be done."

And then say that you know they don't have locks but what do they recommend be done to fix the problem.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »
This is something the school should be made aware of.

Have your child tell their teacher and you call the school office.

"Hi, this is MrsBrandt. My dd is in Mr  Z class in third grade. I'm fine thanks. DD has been having food taken from her lunchbox while its in her locker. I'm trying to find out who I should talk to about it to figure out what can be done."

And then say that you know they don't have locks but what do they recommend be done to fix the problem.

This. It isn't really within the teacher's control, and that note is kind of abrasive. "Unacceptable situation" suggest they know and haven't done anything, where in reality this might be the first time they've heard that there's a problem.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mrsbrandt

• I can run under a 9 minute mile!!!
    • Brandts Online
Re: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School UPDATE pg. 2
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
This is the email I sent. Please let me know what you think.

Dear Mr. TEACHER,

My daughter, SUPERSTARSTUDENT, has told me that some items have been going missing from her lunch box for the past two days. She's been putting her lunchbox in her locker every morning and by lunch time, things seem to be going missing. The items that are going missing are her chips and her dessert (starbursts). DD brought this to my attention yesterday, the 18th. Apparently, the same items went missing again today, the 19th. Her sandwich, fruit, string cheese and drink seem to be safe. :) I know we discussed the possible candy bar going missing issue a few weeks ago. I wonder if you are aware of any other students that may be having a problem like this?

Since this has become an issue for DD, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of who to speak to regarding this issue. Please feel free to contact me at #### or by email to discuss this.

I hope you don't mind that I cc'd Mr. PRINCIPAL. I just wanted to keep the administration in the loop, as well. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,

OP

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »
Sounds good

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Oh Joy

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
Sounds great!  Keep us posted.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 08:59:07 PM »
This is the email I sent. Please let me know what you think.

Dear Mr. TEACHER,

My daughter, SUPERSTARSTUDENT, has told me that some items have been going missing from her lunch box for the past two days. She's been putting her lunchbox in her locker every morning and by lunch time, things seem to be going missing. The items that are going missing are her chips and her dessert (starbursts). DD brought this to my attention yesterday, the 18th. Apparently, the same items went missing again today, the 19th. Her sandwich, fruit, string cheese and drink seem to be safe. :) I know we discussed the possible candy bar going missing issue a few weeks ago. I wonder if you are aware of any other students that may be having a problem like this?

Since this has become an issue for DD, I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of who to speak to regarding this issue. Please feel free to contact me at #### or by email to discuss this.

I hope you don't mind that I cc'd Mr. PRINCIPAL. I just wanted to keep the administration in the loop, as well. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,

OP
This is great.

I have a couple of questions
1. Are the lockers locked? has your child shared the combo with anyone.
2. Were is the locker I've seen them in the classroom and in the hall?
3. Could you secure the lunch box for now?

And for everybody - Um from my training in US schools in the federal lunch program confiscating food a child brings from school at Lunch is a HUGE NO NO. This is my 12 year teaching. I've confiscated food in the cafeteria 1 time. The child had a food allergy listed - but the food contained the allergen. The clarification from the parents made me want to beat my head against the wall (one parent says the child is allergic, the other says child is not)

Love the idea of putting the food in boxes and in the frig. We put all of 2nd grades in a basket. After recess the basket is brought out of the Pod and the kids pick up their kits on the way to lunch. (Don't take them out to recess because of ants on the playground.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 09:01:20 PM »
You are assuming just because the sandwhich, fruit and cheese are left that the thief didn't touch, lick or otherwise do anything to them (yick!). Therefore, even if the candy and chips never get stolen again, how safe is it to leave a lunch in an unsecured place? The school adm. must find a way to keep the lunches safe. Or else, you have to get a lock on the lunch box.

Just speaking from experience (adult coworker snooping and stealing experience).

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 09:32:17 PM »
could someone get to her lunch bag on the bus?

LeveeWoman

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 09:33:05 PM »
You are assuming just because the sandwhich, fruit and cheese are left that the thief didn't touch, lick or otherwise do anything to them (yick!). Therefore, even if the candy and chips never get stolen again, how safe is it to leave a lunch in an unsecured place? The school adm. must find a way to keep the lunches safe. Or else, you have to get a lock on the lunch box.

Just speaking from experience (adult coworker snooping and stealing experience).

Okay. I now officially have the willies!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »

It's possible, sure, but I don't think anyone is tampering with the other food. They just didn't have any interest in the "healthy" items.  ;D

Gogi

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »
mrsbrandt , that is a great letter! I'm curious as to how this will play out (and who is doing the snatchin'!)

LeveeWoman

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 10:40:08 PM »

It's possible, sure, but I don't think anyone is tampering with the other food. They just didn't have any interest in the "healthy" items.  ;D

Oh, I'm sure you're correct, but the image I got from Ohjustlovely's post sent shivers all over my nervous system.