Author Topic: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School  (Read 14016 times)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Re: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 11:12:49 PM »
I think the letter sounded good.

This situation reminds me of the kids book "Dear Mr Henshaw" by Beverly Cleary. The main character was always getting his lunch stolen. So he rigged up an alarm that was triggered whenever anyone opened his lunchbox.

Only problem was, on that particular day, no one actually stole his lunch! So he had to open his lunchbox and set the alarm off in the cafeteria in front of everyone!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »
I think the letter sounded good.

This situation reminds me of the kids book "Dear Mr Henshaw" by Beverly Cleary. The main character was always getting his lunch stolen. So he rigged up an alarm that was triggered whenever anyone opened his lunchbox.

Only problem was, on that particular day, no one actually stole his lunch! So he had to open his lunchbox and set the alarm off in the cafeteria in front of everyone!

I was trying to remember the name of that book!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mrsbrandt

• I can run under a 9 minute mile!!!
    • Brandts Online
Re: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School UPDATE pg. 2 and 3
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »
OP I got a response from the Principal last night.

Thanks for including me in this email. I will talk with TEACHER tomorrow and we will address this with the class. I am sorry this has happened to DD.
PRINCIPAL.

I'm very pleased with his response and hopefully this doesn't occur again. I'll keep you posted with what he tells the class.

To address some questions.

The lockers do not have a locking mechanism. And her lunchbox is a cloth box so it doesn't have the capacity to be locked.

My daughter goes straight from my car into the school every morning. So basically as soon she enters the building her lunch box goes into her locker.

Also she decided she wants to buy a school lunch today.  ;)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Glad you got a quick response back. In my experience, this is the type of things that drive school administrators nuts and they are eager to quickly address before it gets out of hand.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »
So, they're not really "lockers," just cupboards?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
OP I got a response from the Principal last night.

Thanks for including me in this email. I will talk with TEACHER tomorrow and we will address this with the class. I am sorry this has happened to DD.
PRINCIPAL.

I'm very pleased with his response and hopefully this doesn't occur again. I'll keep you posted with what he tells the class.

To address some questions.

The lockers do not have a locking mechanism. And her lunchbox is a cloth box so it doesn't have the capacity to be locked.

My daughter goes straight from my car into the school every morning. So basically as soon she enters the building her lunch box goes into her locker.

Also she decided she wants to buy a school lunch today.  ;)

If there's a double zipper, you could use a suitcase lock.

Or - if she's putting her lunch so it's *right there* when you open the locker, have her put it underneath something, so it's not visible and a little less accessible.

So, they're not really "lockers," just cupboards?

If they're like our elementary school, they're lockers, but do not have locks. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »

But ... but ....
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 10:46:24 AM »

But ... but ....

Cubbies -- with doors.

Jones

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
They are unlockers. lol

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »
When I was in grade 3 we had a string of 'the good stuff' getting stolen out of lunch's. Anything healthy stayed with its rightful owner. Once the teachers were made aware the thief was caught and had to apologize. Hopefully now that your DD's teachers are aware the problem will be just as easy to resolve.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
When I was in grade 3 we had a string of 'the good stuff' getting stolen out of lunch's. Anything healthy stayed with its rightful owner. Once the teachers were made aware the thief was caught and had to apologize. Hopefully now that your DD's teachers are aware the problem will be just as easy to resolve.

It's kind of interesting that none of the children noticed a certain person at their table who always seemed to have a whole lunchbox full of candy bars and Hostess Twinkies -- the exact things missing from their own lunch boxes.  Kids are usually pretty observant about things like that.   :)

MrTango

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »

It's kind of interesting that none of the children noticed a certain person at their table who always seemed to have a whole lunchbox full of candy bars and Hostess Twinkies -- the exact things missing from their own lunch boxes.  Kids are usually pretty observant about things like that.   :)

When I was in elementary school, we most certainly did notice.  It was probably mid October of our 5th grade year, and the entire class (about 30 of us) all decided to give him "the silent treatment" for the rest of the school year (essentially, the cut direct).

Horribly mean to subject a 10-year-old kid to that sort of treatment for nearly the entire school year, but as far as I know, he never stole anything again.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
OP, glad to see that the principal responded.  Hopefully, it will get resolved.

I had a similar thing happen in junior high.  My doctor wanted me to have snack before gym class to prevent a low blood sugar.  My mother bought an industrial size box of peanut butter crackers and had it put in the gym teachers' office with instructions to give me one packet before class.

One day I went to get my allotted crackers and noticed half the box gone.  I had only had about 5 packets total (out of a box of 60 packets).  When I told my mother she called the gym teacher who told her sometimes the teachers "borrowed" some crackers.

Mom was furious.  She went to the principal and told him how horrible it was that the teachers were eating the snacks a diabetic child needed in order to remain healthy.  Teachers were reprimanded and I brough the crackers in my pocket after that.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »

But ... but ....

I'm pretty sure the idea is that the locks would probably end up causing too much trouble for children ages 5 to 10 - especially the forgetting or losing of the combination/keys.   They even discourage locks at our middle school.  The story might be different if there was a significant problem with theft.