Author Topic: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School  (Read 14137 times)

NyaChan

Re: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
This happened when I was in first grade and we had the cubbies.  There were always times during the day when students would get back to the classroom early or leave later than everyone else, by asking to go to the bathroom during recess for example.  I personally witnessed a student taking a chocolate bar from my friend's cubby and putting it in her own coat (yes I turned her in). 

Momiitz

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »
Can she keep her lunchbox with her in class. Maybe keep it in her bookbag?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2013, 06:16:03 PM »
Can she keep her lunchbox with her in class. Maybe keep it in her bookbag?

Again using our elementary school as an example - the lockers are for the kids' backpacks/bookbags, they're only to bring papers/folders/pencils into the classroom.

mrsbrandt

• I can run under a 9 minute mile!!!
    • Brandts Online
Re: Stolen Lunch in Elementary School Update pg. 4
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Her bookbag stays in her unlocker during the day (as per school policy, there is nowhere specified in the classroom for her to store her lunchbox). And I'd prefer not to have to send her with a locking lunchbox (not sure she can handle it and her's doesn't have the ability to be locked). Additionally, her teacher spoke to her today and asked about what has been happening. It appears that the teacher will be taking this issue up with the assistant principal. However, the principal has not addressed anything with my daughter or her class/school yet to my knowledge or DDs. Monday I'll be sending her lunch with her to school again (it will remain in the unlocker, unless there is a school policy change) and we'll see what happens I suppose.

I think I was expecting more of a response than just the teacher asking for more facts than my email provided. I'm not really sure what additional factual information could be provided, as my DD is in class while this is occurring...

Momiitz

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »
Maybe you could pack some harmless joke candy that turns your tounge black when you eat it. You can order it on amazon or get it at "5 below" if you have one in town.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2013, 06:39:11 PM »
Her bookbag stays in her unlocker during the day (as per school policy, there is nowhere specified in the classroom for her to store her lunchbox). And I'd prefer not to have to send her with a locking lunchbox (not sure she can handle it and her's doesn't have the ability to be locked). Additionally, her teacher spoke to her today and asked about what has been happening. It appears that the teacher will be taking this issue up with the assistant principal. However, the principal has not addressed anything with my daughter or her class/school yet to my knowledge or DDs. Monday I'll be sending her lunch with her to school again (it will remain in the unlocker, unless there is a school policy change) and we'll see what happens I suppose.

I think I was expecting more of a response than just the teacher asking for more facts than my email provided. I'm not really sure what additional factual information could be provided, as my DD is in class while this is occurring...

Maybe they are doing something, or formulating a plan or whatever, but have nothing to really report back to you yet. The teacher asking more info from your DD might have just been double checking while also subtly letting your DD know the issue is on her radar.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »
Does your daughter's school have security cameras in the hallways?  If so, the principal probably has all the information they need (during classes/before lunch) to find the thief.  It also means they would deal with the culprit privately, without making an announcement. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »
It appears that the teacher will be taking this issue up with the assistant principal. However, the principal has not addressed anything with my daughter or her class/school yet to my knowledge or DDs.
. . .

I don't think this is principal-worthy yet. He's "big-picture" stuff, and you have only JUST notified them of a problem.

What did you want from them? The teacher needs more facts than your email provides; she needs to verify them herself, scope out the physical situation, and prevent it.

i think you were/are expecting way too much. They just found out about this problem. I think you got a GREAT response--the principal acted immediately, replied to you with a plan, gave the info to the teacher, the teacher has started.

That's really, really good!

They're not ignoring it.

I would suggest that you not expect anything more out of this at all. Except that the pilfering should stop. That's it. They have no obligation to tell you what they did to "fix" this, especially since it will involve another student.

Be content. They're on the case. Be patient while they sort if out.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2013, 06:59:07 PM »
I think it is principal stuff because it is hallway/locker  stuff and not classrom specific. It.could be a kid in another class or another grade doing this.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
OP, glad to see that the principal responded.  Hopefully, it will get resolved.

I had a similar thing happen in junior high.  My doctor wanted me to have snack before gym class to prevent a low blood sugar.  My mother bought an industrial size box of peanut butter crackers and had it put in the gym teachers' office with instructions to give me one packet before class.

One day I went to get my allotted crackers and noticed half the box gone.  I had only had about 5 packets total (out of a box of 60 packets).  When I told my mother she called the gym teacher who told her sometimes the teachers "borrowed" some crackers.

Mom was furious.  She went to the principal and told him how horrible it was that the teachers were eating the snacks a diabetic child needed in order to remain healthy.  Teachers were reprimanded and I brough the crackers in my pocket after that.

Something tells me that no one thought that there was a "medical need" for the child to have the snack - they were just looking at "oh, I NEED a snack and nobody will notice if I eat just one" - then thirty-odd go missing in a matter of days.....and someone notices!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
I think it is principal stuff because it is hallway/locker  stuff and not classrom specific. It.could be a kid in another class or another grade doing this.

I don't think of principals as handling "hallway/locker stuff" in the small scale. Yes, setting policies for how things are supposed to happen. But the hands-on administration of those policies? That's generally delegated to the teacher, or a vice principal or something.

My dad was a teacher, and hallways / hallway discipline *was* a teacher issue. Every teacher had a responsibility there.

Principals *need* to keep their attention on the bigger picture. And this principal HAS acted on this letter--he's delegated someone (the teacher) to work on his behalf.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
At my DD's school, the teacher is responsible for their class and the only time the hallway is their issue is when their class is in the hallway.  The principal and vice principal are responsible for the hallways.  If a theft is occurring from lockers (we have unlockers too..regular lockers but no locks allowed) as it also has at our school the principal and vice principal are on it like flies on...you know.  Our big thing stolen is winter coats!

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2013, 04:03:24 AM »
At our school, the Principal/Head dealt with all of these issues. Just saying *shrugs*

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2013, 04:04:29 AM »
Toots, I'll ask my Aunt (ex teacher) and Uncle (ex headmaster) about it, when I can.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

JanaL

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2013, 07:28:43 AM »
OP, If things don't get solved soon, maybe one of these would work, if it fits inside her locker:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10030818&N=&Ntt=fridge+safe