Author Topic: Viewpoints on a situation  (Read 2909 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Viewpoints on a situation
« on: September 19, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »
There is an elementary school bus stopped in a neighborhood and the kids are getting off, walking to their homes.  A car is stopped behind the school bus and suddenly the passenger, a women in her early 20's gets out, and starts running towards a group of kids, yelling "Hey guys, guys!  Stop!  I want to give you something."  In her hands is a stack of small fliers.  The group she goes for first are still walking but looking over their shoulders at her. They do not engage her in any way and continue walking but she is still calling to them and then others walking past her, handing the ones closest to her these fliers.  A few adults (5) see this and have different reactions (not all the adults are parents of kids on the bus, just happen to be walking by.  What would your reaction/thoughts be?

heyyoume

Re: Viewpoints on a situation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
Whether her intent is harmless or not I think that is inappropriate.   Children don't have the ability always to refuse items they aren't interested in.  As an adult watching I would have intervened, asked her what she was distributing, and suggested she go through the school - if it was a valid service.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
I think this is inappropriate.  Even if it's a flyer for something legitimate, e.g. a library schedule, a schedule of things happening at a local park, etc. it should be given to parents rather than the students themselves. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
I would ask for a flyer and then decide what to do next.

Miss Understood

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:28 PM »
Replying without reading the other replies:  I would find the woman pushy and rude but I wouldn't consider it creepy or dangerous.  Unless of course it turned out that there was something creepy or dangerous about the flyer content.

lilfox

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »
I would intervene as well - get between her and kids, and ask her what she was handing out.  I guess she feels she's exempt from the "don't talk to strangers or accept things from them" for some reason.  She's not.  I would also get one of the flyers and call any contact number on it to report the behavior of their representative.  There are legitimate means of advertising - accosting kids on the street is not one of them.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
"Want some candy, little child?"

While I'm certainly not insinuating that the flyer-giver-outer had any nefarious intent, what she did was waaaay wrong.

One simply does not approach any child in such a manner.

I would have called the police and reported it.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
I'd be concerned about the safety issue.  Kids getting off school buses are at risk from traffic, they can be over-excited and erratic, and this woman is distracting them further?  No, it sounds like a disaster in the making.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »
I'd be proud of the kids for walking away and not engaging with a stranger. I'd also be walking right up to her and ask who she was, what organization she was with and why she was badgering minor children.

It could be something totally innocent like "Hey kids, we're having this cool free concert in the park this Saturday, ask your parents to bring you!", but telling kids getting off the bus to stop and come back to her is not the proper way to go about this.

And frankly if she were a guy doing it...I'm pretty sure all five adults would've been on their cell phones to the local police department. Being a woman makes her seem less threatening in our society, so does being in her early 20s (young). Doesn't actually make the behavior any better.

doodlemor

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »
"Want some candy, little child?"

While I'm certainly not insinuating that the flyer-giver-outer had any nefarious intent, what she did was waaaay wrong.

One simply does not approach any child in such a manner.

I would have called the police and reported it.

Yup!  She was way, way out of line. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 08:46:22 PM »
I'd be highly irritated and indicate the kids were fine to ignore her or tell her no thanks.

I wouldn't automatically assume predator because I can't imagine one using "here's a flyer" as an enticement as other adults are close by. But I dislike marketing directly to kids (don't get me going about the discussions my kids had to sit through during Sat morning cartoons...I have a degree in marketing).

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
She should not have approached them.

magician5

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »
Predator? Almost certainly not. But getting information to children is best done through the school or the parents. The situation described runs counter to everything most children are taught.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 03:05:28 AM »
I dont think it requires calling the police, but I definitely would not want anything to do with this person at all.  She is showing extremely poor judgement around children in front of their parents/adults. Even if she gave me/kids a flyer for something that would revolutionize my life, I'd still ball it up and throw it away.

People tell you who they are and she is saying she's inappropriate, kinda weird, and possibly lacking in common sense.  No thank you

Cami

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 07:10:15 AM »
That behavior is totally inappropriate and since it's distracting at a bus stop drop off, potentially dangerous.

My reaction would have been to go up and ask for one of her flyers, then tell her to stop bothering children. I'd also ask the bus driver if this person was following the bus. If the flyer were for an organization,  I'd call the organization and complain.

I also second the PP who noted that if a man were doing this, people would have probably called the cops. What people don't realize is that, sadly, people with nefarious intent often are in cahoots with the enabling women in their lives and use the women as lures.