Author Topic: Disney World!!  (Read 2076 times)

katiescarlett

Disney World!!
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »
I am so excited.  We are booking our trip to Disney World tomorrow.  We (my parents, my baby sister, Ella who is 8, my other sister and her 4 year old son, Wade, and myself) will be going to Disney World May 24th.  This will be a couple of days after the kids get out of school, and two weeks after my college graduation.  My parents took us grown kids back in 98 and 99, so we have all been there before, except for our kiddos. 

Now, I have been there before, so know a lot about what they have, but it has been many years since we went.  Do y'all have fun stories from when any of you went, or fun new attractions?

katiescarlett

Re: Disney World!! Three weeks Away!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Three weeks from today, I will be on a plane for Disney!  We have two excited little kiddos right now.  Took me a long to get excited, but I am very much looking forward to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios.

suzieQ

Re: Disney World!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »
So you are going to Universal and also to Disney? How many days do you have? Hope you enjoy it!  :)
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »
Have a wonderful time! I was in DW a few times, about .15 years ago ( wow, has it been that long?) ( this was while I was married to my now-ex). Anyway, it was all before HP.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »
I live in the area and would be glad to answer any questions you have. Just so you know, that time is going to be peak season, so prepare the young ones for long lines.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
Have a wonderful time and be sure to take lots of pictures!  My best friend and her husband and kids go almost every year, and she has some adorable pictures of her little girl, with that look of wide-eyed wonder.

This is a story about the Disneyland in California, but my favorite Disney story takes place when I was 12 and went there for the first time.  My little cousin cousin, Amanda, lived in California at the time.  I was 12, she was four, and although she had been there before, her being four years old for this visit made it prime time perfect, as far as her enjoyment.  We had a super fun day there, and towards the end of the day, my mom and I took her on the "It's A Small World" ride, with all the singing dolls representing different lands.  The best part of the ride was the look on Amanda's little face.  She had big blue eyes as it was, but on that ride, her eyes grew to the size of dinner plates, and she was completely in the moment, trying to take it all in.  It was the most adorable thing ever, and we all still talk about it.  She passed away not long ago, and that remains one of my fondest Amanda memories. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

pearls n purls

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 02:13:56 AM »
Dh and I got engaged at Disney World, at the restaurant in Cinderella's Castle, so Disney World will always hold a special place in my heart. 

Dh has been planning dd's first trip there ever since I got pregnant.  He wants to go for her 10th birthday.  She a little over a year right now. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 11:44:47 AM »
We have annual passes on and off (off during really busy semesters). You will be there just in time for Star Wars weekends at Hollywood Studios! It is amazing.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Memorial Day weekend is looking very busy, but after Monday, crowds drop to moderate levels.  I'd definitely have a plan for Sunday, and dining reservations set for the weekend to avoid long waits at table service restaurants. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »
Yes and check the days for events as not every event occurs every day. Some nights there is one Fantasmic and sometimes there are two.

katiescarlett

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 12:32:33 AM »
Thanks!  We will be there from the 23rd to the 31st, and will spend one of the days at Universal.  I, too, have been there before.  The first time in 1998, and then in 1999.  The kids are the only ones who have never been.  We also went to Universal the first trip we went on in 98.  I am curious to see how much it has changed.  Wade is 5 and is so excited that he can hardly stand it.  Not sure if he is more excited about the airplane, or "Mickey's house."  Ella just turned 9 and has not acted very excited until the last week or so.  She told me yesterday that her heart was pounding because she realized that the trip was almost here.  I know the lines will be long, so hopefully the kids will do okay.  I just hope it is not as hot as it was last time, as we were there in July.

songbird

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
I don't know how well you've researched the trip, but A LOT has changed since the last time you were there.  I think the Disney website has a feature where you can get all the things that have changed since you were there.

Look up Fast Pass + and Magic Bands.  My daughters were at WDW for spring break and they loved using their magic Bands.

My best WDW story was August  1999.  I went with my three sisters and my two daughters.   My daughters were 8 1/2 and just turned 7. 

My older daughter was treated for strep throat just a few days before we went on vacation, was still taking her antibiotic when we left, but she was feeling fine.

Well, we arrived at our resort (what was then called Dixie Landings and is now part of Port Orleans) early in the day.  Our rooms weren't ready, but we were able to check our luggage and bring the kids over to the pool.  After the girls had been swimming awhile, younger daughter tells me she doesn't feel well..feverish and cranky. 

So our vacation began in the hotel lobby, comforting a feverish and cranky child while we waited for our room.  and yes, Disney doctors do make hotel room calls!

Is anyone surprised that his diagnosis was strep throat?

And yes, the local pharmacy will deliver to your hotel, and the staff in the lobby will hold your medication for you if you're not in your room.  Once we got her some Tylenol and her own antibiotics she felt absolutely fine.

The next morning we had 7:30 AM reservations for a character breakfast at Cinderella's Castle, but we decided it was better to sleep in and make sure younger daughter was OK.

But here's the happy ending -- isn't there a happy ending to every Disney story?

A few days later, we were in the Magic Kingdom and went into Town Hall to see if we could make a dinner reservation. 

How about dinner in Cinderella's Castle?  How about dinner in the castle during the fireworks show?  How about a window seat during dinner in the castle during the fireworks show?

Magical.

katiescarlett

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
Well, songbird, that is not good!  I am glad she felt better, though.  We received our Magic bands in the mail yesterday, and our luggage tags with our hotel name on them.  We opted out of the fast pass, though.  I have a good story on myself for when we went in 1999.  (Well, not great, although it makes for an interesting vacation story).  We were there in July of '99, and my 20th birthday was on the 3rd.  Apparently my parents and the little ones (6 and 9 at the time, and 15) had been keeping Cinderella Castle reservations a secret from me for months, as a surprise for my birthday.  Unfortunately, I had a seizure (I have epilepsy) on the way out the door of the hotel room to go to breakfast.  Spent my birthday, and this was also our last day there, in the ER and then sleeping off the seizure.  We did go back to the Magic Kingdom that night for awhile and for dinner, but I don't really remember it.  Don't remember much about that day at all, actually.

So, there will be absolutely no ER trips for this girl!  17 more days, we are all getting so excited now!

kelly_jeanie

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
I'm so excited for you!  We went for the first time last October and had a blast, I can't wait to go back in a few years.

I have a story that involves Cinderella's castle breakfast as well.  My 5-year-old daughter went to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique that morning, she was floating around in her princess dress all made up and feeling on top of the world.  She and I had a late breakfast at the castle afterwards, and during the meal they asked everyone to close their eyes and make a wish.  Of course, I couldn't resist asking my little girl what her wish was - "I wished I could be a princess forever!" 

katiescarlett

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Ella is 9, but getting made into a princess is absolutely not her thing.  My nephew does not care about Cinderella's castle either.  Only my sister who is 27 wants to go (thankfully not able to get reservations, too expensive anyway).  I don't think she has ever gotten over not getting to go all those years ago.  Sorry.  Little brothers and sister were 12,9, and 15 then.  Sis was 12.  So not a little girl, but still young enough to enjoy it.  Ella is just not a girly girl.  She has never played with dolls, and although she likes nail polish, heaven help me if I put a bow in her hair.