Author Topic: Pens, Paper, Office Supplies  (Read 10464 times)

mime

Re: Pens, Paper, Office Supplies
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 05:32:16 PM »
I like the Pilot G2 pens as well. They come in a multi-color pack for a good price at our warehouse club. I'll have to get my hands on the Uniball Signo now.

As an indulgence, I like the TWSBI fountain pen. It is a really great-feeling pen. I use J Herbin inks and change the color every time I refill so I have some variety.

I've learned to do bookbinding so I make my own journals, but I haven't found "the one" when it comes to paper yet. For now I like Neenah Classic Laid because of the texture.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 06:28:44 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:30:51 PM by LazyDaisy »
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
Another website for pen and paper fans...

http://apenchantforpaper.blogspot.com/
~Lynn2000

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
my credit card is begging you all to please stop.  I'm pretty sure it's in a corner rocking right now :D

dawbs

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
I used to do calligraphy in high school, but I stopped in college.  I still have a hard time walking away from ink and nibs when I see them on sale.  The ironic thing is my actual handwriting is atrocious, but somehow I managed to do beautiful calligraphy

I'm with you on this--I think that my brain draws a distinction between 'writing' and 'lettering'--they're not the same thing (kinda like how 'drawing' isn't the same as 'biology diagram'--you get in trouble for shading on the latter :)

I'm actually currently 'shopping' for pre-lined calligraphy paper--with ERASABLE lines.  Because my last project took me 3x as much time to 'line' as it did to write!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
I used to do calligraphy in high school, but I stopped in college.  I still have a hard time walking away from ink and nibs when I see them on sale.  The ironic thing is my actual handwriting is atrocious, but somehow I managed to do beautiful calligraphy

I'm with you on this--I think that my brain draws a distinction between 'writing' and 'lettering'--they're not the same thing (kinda like how 'drawing' isn't the same as 'biology diagram'--you get in trouble for shading on the latter :)

I'm actually currently 'shopping' for pre-lined calligraphy paper--with ERASABLE lines.  Because my last project took me 3x as much time to 'line' as it did to write!

ahem...you're not helping ;)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »
so was browsing around just now and saw these...

http://fab.com/product/peeping-notebook-set-ii-413676/?ref=browse&pos=8

I WANT ONE!

edited to add this too: http://fab.com/product/margiela-claustrophobic-jrnl-sm-434353/?ref=browse&pos=28

These things are beautiful! However, I think they'd be better seen as art objects than as useful
stationery. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
I bought some interesting items recently in the Met's gift shop:

I also have the business card case:

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »
I bought some interesting items recently in the Met's gift shop:

How elegant!
~Lynn2000

LazyDaisy

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
so was browsing around just now and saw these...

http://fab.com/product/peeping-notebook-set-ii-413676/?ref=browse&pos=8

I WANT ONE!

edited to add this too: http://fab.com/product/margiela-claustrophobic-jrnl-sm-434353/?ref=browse&pos=28

These things are beautiful! However, I think they'd be better seen as art objects than as useful
stationery.
To me the creativity of the notebooks would inspire creative writing or sketching while still being completely useful as notebooks -- there is plenty of space to write. The claustrophobic one would be interesting -- you could separate one page on the right binding, and the next page on the left, to open up a 3-page spread for writing or drawing. I can see how the peeping notebook would probably appeal to children more than adults though. I know they are more expensive than a regular lined notebook from someplace like Target, but not so much that I would gasp at actually using them.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Syfygeek

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
I have an unnatural desire for this post it note holder.

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-up-Dispenser-Includes-Alternating-Colored/dp/B003VNE25M

If you don't want to click, it is a black purse.  A purse!!

I have that on my desk! During our recent purge of dead office equipment and fixtures, I carried it around with me flagging things to toss. So handy!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
I think I could qualify as one of their "Notebook Addicts of the Week":

http://www.notebookstories.com/

:P

ETA: Another brand I like (I was reminded by the link to the brand's website on the above blog) is C.R. Gibson. Sometimes "Markings by C.R. Gibson." They do pretty good quality journals both bound and spiral, and are reasonably priced--I've found them at Wal-Mart, office supply stores, and Barnes & Noble. Some have the faux leather cover, magnetic closures, fun things like that. Maybe the person who was looking for narrow-ruled spiral journals could check them out--I don't remember the spacing on the journals I have, but it's possible they might work.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:11:26 PM by Lynn2000 »
~Lynn2000

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 06:03:15 PM »
I think I could qualify as one of their "Notebook Addicts of the Week":

http://www.notebookstories.com/

:P

ETA: Another brand I like (I was reminded by the link to the brand's website on the above blog) is C.R. Gibson. Sometimes "Markings by C.R. Gibson." They do pretty good quality journals both bound and spiral, and are reasonably priced--I've found them at Wal-Mart, office supply stores, and Barnes & Noble. Some have the faux leather cover, magnetic closures, fun things like that. Maybe the person who was looking for narrow-ruled spiral journals could check them out--I don't remember the spacing on the journals I have, but it's possible they might work.

That was me.  I have a couple walmarts near me as well as a B&N. 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
^Cool! I hope they work for you. I assume you're looking for a "nice" spiral journal as opposed to, say, a Mead spiralbound notebook like you can get at Wal-Mart for 17 cents during school supply sales. Because those come in narrower college-ruled versions all the time. There are also some brands of nice bound journals that are stitched such that they lay flat(ter)--might take some experimenting to find one that works just right, though. If they don't lay flat for me I just crack 'em... and that's why I can't have nice things. ::)  :P
~Lynn2000

suekel

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
I've always loved office supplies.  Back to school was always so exciting, with new notebooks, folders, pens etc.  Everything would be pristine, unwritten in - it made it seem like anything was possible that year. 

I also loved buying stationary as a teen, all different kinds.  I still have some that I've had since I was in my mid teens, and I am 47 now.   From  thick paper with bold designs to dainty, super thin sheets with barely visible floral designs, I loved it all. 

As for pens, I am not so concerned with brand, but for me they must be not fine tipped, and most important of all, they must be fat.  I don't like using normal thickness pens, for some reason the rounder ones feel more comfortable in my hand. 

Lastly, are you all ready to be jealous now?  I work for the company that makes Post-It Notes.  Our supply room is an absolute dream of every kind and color Post-It you could want.  My favorite are the 6" by 4" lined note pads, preferably in blue.  We also have all the fun dispensers, themed Post-Its and other accessories available at a considerable discount in our company store, which is just a couple flights of stairs below me.  My actual job has nothing to do with the manufacture or sale of Post-Its, but it sure is a nice fringe benefit.