Author Topic: Pens, Paper, Office Supplies  (Read 8941 times)

Lynn2000

Re: Pens, Paper, Office Supplies
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
http://pepespaperie.com.au

This is where I spend a LOT of my drooling-over-stationery time. >:D We got our wedding invitations done there, and I've bought an awful lot of pretty pretty notebooks from them...

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Okay, the only thing that saves me is that it's based in Australia, and although I couldn't quickly find their shipping policy, I'm going to assume the cost would be astronomical to send things to me in the US. BTW, I placed an order with JetPens last night for assorted little memo books and random pens--TO GIVE TO OTHERS--for Christmas.

This place, on the other hand, is US-based...

http://katespaperie.com/

ETA:

http://www.jennibick.com/

http://www.lovenotebooks.com/

You're welcome. ;)

YOU ARE EVIL

I KNOW! I'm evil to myself. I want those Paperthinks notebooks, SOLELY because they come in so many colors and I want to stack/line them up in a rainbow like they are in the pictures. Lovenotebooks has the biggest selection of products from this line, I think, but from what I could see all three sites have about the same prices. Amazon had a few when I searched there also.
~Lynn2000

Lynn2000

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2013, 11:07:52 AM »
I am such a bad person. I am enabled by the people around me, though. ;D I went to Office Max this weekend and picked up a few new notebooks--some pretty composition books, just the standard sort, but also a couple of nice journals by C.R. Gibson that were on sale. You never know what you will find on the clearance rack!

I also saw that the company Tul (which sometimes has an accent mark over the U--I think it's pronounced tool) has branched out into pens. I bought some of their highlighters for work a couple years ago and they're still liquid and very nice. At Office Max I saw they had both gel pens and rollerball pens, so I picked up a four-pack of the gels in blue/green/red/purple. I haven't tried them yet because I am committed to using up the plain black ballpoint I'm using right now, which came from a conference... but soon!

Does anyone else have to use up a pen before going on to the next one? I usually do, though occasionally I get tired of some pen that just lasts forever and I chuck it back in my pen can and get a new one. Or, if I actively don't like a pen, I'll get rid of it rather than use it up--life is too short to write with bad pens! ;D
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
No, I immediately try pens out so I know if they go in the desk cup (where are the carpy ones end up) or in my personal stash. I use them interchangeably as I go along.

Carotte

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

Does anyone else have to use up a pen before going on to the next one? I usually do, though occasionally I get tired of some pen that just lasts forever and I chuck it back in my pen can and get a new one. Or, if I actively don't like a pen, I'll get rid of it rather than use it up--life is too short to write with bad pens! ;D

Years ago (around 4 or 5 years) I bought a 10 pack of regular Bic ballpoint pens, stuck a little label with numbers 1 through 10 and released them into the "wild", aka, my bedroom at my then parents' place.
I've moved in with my SO now, but if I were to really look for them in my old bedroom (aka the new storage space  ::)) I'd probably only find 5 or 6 of them, not one got used up until empty, so I'd hate to have to wait for a pen to be empty!
Funny thing with this "catch and release" was that the label was quite unique, no way anyone would have the same, I'm still boggled at how my dentist came to use one of them. I had probably lost it in her waiting room, but never asked her what number was on it so I would know  :P, I didn't want to seem like I was asking for a simple black pen back.

I still have pencils and pens and markers from that time when I was in art school, and most still have their electrical tape wound around that I used to mark my stuff. It does come in handy when everyone pretty much have the same stuff and some are not as civilised as you'd wish: I still remember at the end of a class, a classmate saying "oh, here's my not-so-cheap pen!" and me telling him something along the lines off "pull the other one, it also has my name on it"  ::) >:(

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
Just bought this in Staples the other day:

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »
I used to do the "catch and release" thing, too. When we signed credit slips instead of using the electronic pads, I would use my own pen that I was tired of and forget it.  :)

Lynn2000

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
What an awesome tape dispenser!! I kind of want to get that for work. My boss is very anti-alcoholic beverages so I'm sure she would find a way to indirectly ask me to remove it. ;)

At Office Max this weekend I also picked up a pencil cup on clearance. It is actually square, divided into four sections, and made of that metal mesh stuff. In purple. I was using an old mug on my counter to corral my random, grocery list-making pens, but now I can use this!

Also... did you know Pantone, the color people, make journals? There's only three on their website, though--one pink, one orange, and one with many squares of color on it. What a missed opportunity! If they had a rainbow of them I would be sorely tempted to get several...
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
This isn't really an office supply, but we now have a Container Store near us. I bought an awesome waterproof file box, pretty colored hanging file folders, angled Post-it tabs for the folders and a desk organizer. It is so pretty!

Lynn2000

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2013, 06:59:03 PM »
This isn't really an office supply, but we now have a Container Store near us. I bought an awesome waterproof file box, pretty colored hanging file folders, angled Post-it tabs for the folders and a desk organizer. It is so pretty!

Oh, I think it counts! :) That reminds me, at Office Max I saw some decorated file folders--instead of solid colors they had flower patterns on them. So pretty! But really something I have no potential use for--I am already committed to throwing out excess folders as they get beat up. I have literally been hanging on to some for twenty years. Something's got to go!
~Lynn2000

Carotte

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2013, 06:53:43 AM »
Oh, I think it counts! :) That reminds me, at Office Max I saw some decorated file folders--instead of solid colors they had flower patterns on them. So pretty! But really something I have no potential use for--I am already committed to throwing out excess folders as they get beat up. I have literally been hanging on to some for twenty years. Something's got to go!

I was a bit irrationally cross with my SO when he came back from the other side of the world with the folder I had reluctantly loaned him all beaten-up.
It's nothing special, a very basic cardboard folder, but it's been going strong since at least 1996 (the only date on it). It probably wasn't used all throughout that time but still  :(

Lynn2000

« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
Well, *I* don't find it irrational! ;D

Yesterday I checked out the Piccadilly website. This brand has been called "the poor man's Moleskine" and indeed they have a couple lines of notebooks that look rather like Moleskines. I found them at a discount book store the other day and picked some up--haven't tried them yet, but I'm sure they'll be fine for my purposes, and so colorful! :)

But--anyone who hangs around the Barnes & Noble bargain rack perusing their discount notebooks (usually spiral, hard cover, about 5"x7" although they also have larger 8.5"x11" ones) will recognize the patterns of their other notebooks! :) They have several dozen patterns/pictures and they use these on spiral and bound notebooks of all sizes, even the nice ones with magnetic closures. Then I suppose retailers buy whatever they think will appeal to their customers. I've been getting the bargain rack B&N notebooks for years and I really like them--I think the paper quality is rather good, they're a substantial size (both height/width and page number), and a great price (the 5"x7" ones are often in the $5.99 range I think). So I'm pleased to discover they belong to a brand I've actually heard of.

Piccadilly is allegedly sold in a couple other chains near me besides B&N, so I'm going to go hunting soon and see what I find. ;)
~Lynn2000

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
Piccadilly - I have three of the thin stitch-bound notebooks in black and one blue thick notebook with an elastic strap. The paper is a soft ivory, so very different from most notebooks I have.

Lynn2000

« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Oh the excitement!!! A website called Hyatt's has many Pantone notebooks available. :D

http://www.hyatts.com/pantone/pantone-universe-notebooks-2.5101

Some of them need to come home with me.

I will say, though, that I bought what they call the "artist and writers notebook" on Amazon, and while it is beautiful, it is unlined. I prefer lines. I will try to write in it anyway. It has two to three different Pantone color chips on the lower outside corner of each page, and sometimes whole pages are a solid color or shades of a color. I look forward to writing in it, but they did not really make it clear it was unlined...
~Lynn2000

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
As if I needed this website right now!  They are sooo sooo pretty though

Lynn2000

« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
Mwhahaha! They have other notebooks, too. There's a huge Rhodia selection, Decomposition notebooks, Leuchtturm, Moleskine, a few others. It was a bit hard to get there--I clicked the big red Art button, then on the menu on the left if you hover over "Papers" submenus will pop up, some with brand names and some with more general categories. I had to look carefully at the descriptions to see whether something was lined or not.

I may make an account there. I hope they have a wish list function, that makes it so much easier for me to play around and eventually build up to ordering something...
~Lynn2000