General Etiquette > Life...in general

Do you need to give a gift for a destination (and possibly non-hosted) wedding?

<< < (5/5)

LifeOnPluto:

--- Quote from: aussie_chick on September 20, 2013, 04:49:06 AM ---
I know that people can have any wedding they choose and guests have the choice to attend or not but let me get this straight, they're having a wedding in Vegas, inviting people from O/S and they're not having any kind of reception afterwards? No refreshments except those the guests pay for themselves? Did they not expect people to attend their wedding? It seems a little off to me that nothing is being provided for the guests.

--- End quote ---

aussie_chick, that is correct. We are all from Australia. My friend and her fiance have had this USA trip planned for months. Then he proposed, and they figured "why not get married in Vegas while we're there?"

That said, they completely understand if people don't attend their wedding. In fact, the invitation we received actually read "You are invited to celebrate our special day, but we will understand if you can't make it."

A couple of friends could only get one week off, and my friend and her fiance actually told them not to waste their annual leave travelling all the way to the USA for only a week!

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on September 20, 2013, 12:18:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twik on September 20, 2013, 10:12:30 AM ---Yes, normally, you give a gift to indicate your feelings towards the couple, not as recompense for the invitation.

However, I'm a little  :o at someone who has invited friends from as far away as Australia, and will not even pick up the cheque for a restaurant meal for them to celebrate afterwards. I'd be miffed enough to make my gift a very small one.

--- End quote ---

I'm wondering if the couple do, in their minds, intend on taking people out to dinner they simply haven't communicated it because they don't have a firm idea of who/how many are coming and also because they are simply not planners, and its a more off the cuff type situation and they plan to play it by ear... so they just aren't saying anything yet.

--- End quote ---

WillyNilly, there are eight people flying over for this wedding (including DF and myself). The HC - while lovely people - aren't exactly great planners. So who knows what will happen? The actual ceremony is taking place on a Monday at 11am, so it's not exactly a "meal time". But I guess we'll see what happens.  :)

I really like the idea of giving them a nice photo. I know they aren't having an official photographer (or indeed, any services apart from the celebrant - as I said, it's a really casual wedding) and DF and I are both keen amateur photographers. We might take some photos and put them together in a nice album or frame, to give them when we're all back in Australia.

White Lotus:
Great idea, Life on Pluto!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version