Author Topic: Priest unloads on videographer/s during a wedding ceremony  (Read 6448 times)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Priest unloads on videographer/s during a wedding ceremony
« on: September 20, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83544043/

In the video, you see the back of the officiant and the front of the couple and the guests beyond.  He suddenly realizes that there are people behind him filming and he turns around and addresses them and dresses them down.

The couple look a bit mortified.

My problem with what he did is that he changed the whole tone of the wedding.  Whether or not the presence of the video people was disruptive or not, this officiant made it even more disruptive.

The way that I think he should have handled it was to say something to the bride and/or groom and let them say something to the video people.

To angrily say that its a solemn ceremony and that its "all about God" wasn't the best choice, I don't think...

What do you think?

JustEstelle

Re: Priest unloads on videographer/s during a wedding ceremony
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 01:16:08 AM »
It appears to me that maybe the couple knew that there was someone filming and maybe they had arranged for someone to film the ceremony from that angle.  I personally think the minister was a bit out of line with how he handled it.  If there was going to be a problem with filming, the issue should have been brought up in the pre-ceremony counseling that a lot of ministers do prior to a marriage ceremony, and he should have then told the couple his guidelines of what he considers appropriate. 

I would have really been upset with the officiant if something like that had happened at our wedding.

Addy

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »
When I read the thread title, I was thinking Catholic church, and was preparing to defend the idea that photographers should not be up on the altar, but this is totally not that.

It's too bad that photographer placement wasn't discussed beforehand, but yeah, I think the officiant was very heavy-handed. The poor couple did not look happy. I agree that the officiant was out of line.

Library Dragon

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
The guidelines may have been reviewed before hand.  We did this for DS2 & DIL's wedding weeks before.  A printed sheet of guidlines is part of the standard info given to photographers.  We spent a large portion of the wedding rehearsal telling the photographers where they could not go because they ignored the instructions.  Yes, the photographers still tried to go into those areas and step between the priest and HC during the wedding.  Our pastor has a patented death stare and it stopped them. 

The HC in this instance does look like they knew and may have okayed it.  Perhaps contrary to previous instructions?  It wouldn't be the first time (DH has reams of stories from the weddings he's conducted).

At first look the the admonition is over the top.  Yet, I ask what was said to HC and photographer before the wedding?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 02:40:13 AM »
Having watched the footage I think the officiant was incredibly rude and inappropriate.  If he hates photography so much he's in the wrong line of work.   He disrupted a solemn, important ceremony with an unnecessary and angry outburst, and quite frankly he owes that couple an apology for being so disrespectful.  I hope they didn't pay him!

I agree church rules must be respected, but this was a garden!  I think it was more that he was uncomfortable having anybody behind him, but that's his problem.   Again, wrong line of work! I am appalled that he would let his own pompous self-righteousness disrupt a wedding ceremony.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

BarensMom

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 02:47:12 AM »
If this was inside the church, I'd say the priest had reason to rebuke the videographers.  However, outside the church, no, he was rude.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:09:24 AM »
If it was such a solemn ceremony, why is the first thing you see is the preposterous making a joke and the bride and groom making funny faces?

ettiquit

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
How unfortunate. That would have upset me enough to make it hard to enjoy the rest of my wedding.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »
If this was inside the church, I'd say the priest had reason to rebuke the videographers.  However, outside the church, no, he was rude.

When I first saw this post, I thought it would have been inside a church.  I would have still thought the priest was rude, but that it was outside makes it simply unconscionable.

The poor couple looks horrified - the groom especially.

Margo

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 09:40:07 AM »
 I think it depends on the circumstances, and on what had been discussed beforehand. I don't think that it being outside makes it less rude than if it were in a church.  **IF** the priest had made it clear to the couple and the photographers in advance that it was not appropriate, then I would consider that it is the photographers who were rude, not the priest.

At various weddings I have been to the officiant has made an announcement at the start - typically asking people not to take photos during the ceremony itself, and I would expect it to be something discussed with the couple ahead of time, too.

Regardless of the religious issue, if the photographers were behind the priest I would think they'd be pretty distracting for the couple, and for the congregation.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:55:42 AM »
I don't know. I think its pretty rude (and unusual) for the videographer to be behind the guys back, essentially looking over his shoulder. And he does ask nicely/politely (perhaps a bit unhappily but not rudely) as first and clearly is met with resistance hence him going on. But he first asks them to move and pauses, he doesn't just launch into a tirade.

edgypeanuts

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I was confused by the term priest as I have only heard of that used for Catholic priests, but the actual definition is more open than that.

The officiant was wrong.  It should have been addressed prior to the ceremony if it was that big of a deal to him.  The camera people seemed polite and were asked where they should stand, so I assume they were not told beforehand not to be there.

At our rehearsal the night before, the Deacon asked the flower girls to please not play on the altar, my husband then asked about the photographer and where she was allowed during the ceremony.  The Deacon said that she could be anywhere she wanted as long as she wasn't directly in the way or tripping people. 
This was a big Catholic wedding in a large older church and she was at times behind the officiant but was always as inconspicuous as possible.  I was glad that we asked, as I don't know that I would have assumed that was okay.  I think in a church it seems more like you are in the clergy's home or space, whereas an outdoor ceremony where the couple set up the place, etc it seems less likely that the officiant would have an issue.

But if it was NOT okay, esp in a non-church wedding, the officiant should have brought it up beforehand and not just expected people to know.  (once again, I am assuming it wasn't discussed as the camera people were asking where was allowed during the video.)

Poppea

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 03:06:40 PM »
Any professional "videographer" or photographer would talk to the officant before the ceremony to determine where they could stand.  I have never seen a photographer directly behind the priest.  It looks like they were standing at the apex of the outdoor altar. 

Also really unprofessional to argue with the priest.  He is in charge.  I don't think the priest was rude at all.  If you want a religious ceremony you need to do what the priest says.  Otherwise get a justice of the peace.

Poppea

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 03:13:05 PM »
Having watched the footage I think the officiant was incredibly rude and inappropriate.  If he hates photography so much he's in the wrong line of work.   He disrupted a solemn, important ceremony with an unnecessary and angry outburst, and quite frankly he owes that couple an apology for being so disrespectful. I hope they didn't pay him!

I agree church rules must be respected, but this was a garden!  I think it was more that he was uncomfortable having anybody behind him, but that's his problem.   Again, wrong line of work! I am appalled that he would let his own pompous self-righteousness disrupt a wedding ceremony.

If you are a member of a church there is no fee to get married (or be christened).  Many couples give the officiant a stipend as a thank you.  Our priest refused all stipends and asked that the HC make a donation to the benevolence fund instead.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
Having watched the footage I think the officiant was incredibly rude and inappropriate.  If he hates photography so much he's in the wrong line of work.   He disrupted a solemn, important ceremony with an unnecessary and angry outburst, and quite frankly he owes that couple an apology for being so disrespectful. I hope they didn't pay him!

If you are a member of a church there is no fee to get married (or be christened).  Many couples give the officiant a stipend as a thank you.  Our priest refused all stipends and asked that the HC make a donation to the benevolence fund instead.

This varies by church. The fee for a wedding at my church ranges from $150 for registered parishioners to $550 for people who register just to get married at the church. It's to reserve the church for the wedding. You can, if you wish, give the priest a gratuity.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn