General Etiquette > Life...in general

Priest unloads on videographer/s during a wedding ceremony

<< < (10/10)

squeakers:

--- Quote from: jpcher on September 22, 2013, 06:10:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: squeakers on September 22, 2013, 04:51:27 PM ---http://www.kpho.com/story/23484565/priest-stops-wedding-over-videographers

I don't blame the officiant.  Weddings are supposed to be holy moments and not picture opportunities. I could see the flash of the still photos (watch the draping.. the flash is from behind the priest) and I am betting that is what set the priest off.

--- End quote ---

Watch the original link . . . the "flash" that you're talking about isn't there. In the above link, I'm betting that the "flash" was due to editing the video.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, could be from editing.

I still think that the ceremony is a sacred thing and to have the photographer and a videographer up on the altar was wrong.  But it should have been taken care of before the ceremony started.

Something set the priest off though... it's too bad they didn't respond to CNN's inquiry (the priest and his church.)

Sharnita:
I disagree that it is what the bride and groom think that really matters. That might or might not be true. I have helped out with wedding at our church where the pastor made it crystal clear that there was to be mo alcohol on the grounds. The bride and groom agreed to abide by the rules and yet there was an almost empty fifth of vodka left in the bride's changing room. Sometimes brides and grooms are disrespecful dolts who promise to abide by standards they have no intention of keeping because they figure the officiant is "trapped" once theceremony starts. I have no idea if that is what happened in this case but I wouldn't automatically.trust the judgement of the bride and groom.

Katana_Geldar:
It's their wedding, I'm sure the priest could have been more discreet than that. This is what they're going to remember: the priest being angry at the videographer at their wedding.

gramma dishes:
On a news site the main photographer takes some of the blame on himself.  He says he did ask the priest if there were any specific restricted zones and the only thing the priest said was "Stay out of the aisle!"  So they - he and his two assistants - all did.

Apparently the videographer wasn't as close to the priest as it would appear in the video.  He was using a telephoto lens. 

BUT two of them were working together behind the priest to capture the couple's faces during the ceremony and the still photographer said that he had not turned the still camera's shutter sound to silent (standard operating procedure at most weddings) and he thought that was what set the priest off.  The camera's shutter sound.

[For those who have zero interest in photography or cameras, virtually ALL still cameras have a silent mode which completely eliminates any clicks, bells, chimes, beeps or any other sound from emanating from the camera.  Even simple and inexpensive point and shoot cameras have that option and the big professional Nikons and Canons, etc., certainly all do.]

Why he didn't use the silent mode is incomprehensible.  Apparently you can even hear the sounds of the still camera in the video footage,  so you know it had to be loud.  So I think the priest was a little rude in his manner of telling them to stop, but I can also understand why he was so irritated.

Ceallach:

--- Quote from: squeakers on September 22, 2013, 04:51:27 PM ---http://www.kpho.com/story/23484565/priest-stops-wedding-over-videographers

I don't blame the officiant.  Weddings are supposed to be holy moments and not picture opportunities. I could see the flash of the still photos (watch the draping.. the flash is from behind the priest) and I am betting that is what set the priest off.

--- End quote ---

Mass is a holy ceremony, and from my years attending I know that things often go wrong. There is a massive difference between a priest who handles a situation discreetly and calmly versus one who creates an ugly scene, and sadly I've seen both!    I think the same applies here. Even I the officiant was right, he still created an unpleasant scene during the ceremony.  I can think of many other ways he could have handled it, including waiting until a later moment or transition stage to speak to them instead of stopping mid speech.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version