Author Topic: dealing with food-related comments  (Read 5049 times)

that_one_girl

dealing with food-related comments
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:17:45 AM »
I don't know if we already have a topic on this:

What is the polite response to comments someone makes about your food?
I moved to a rural area, so some of the things I eat are more exotic than most locals are used to.  It most often comes up when my coworker sees what I have prepared for lunch, something along the lines of vegetarian sushi or seaweed salad, and for some reason decides to say something like, "Eww! gross!"
I haven't offered to share it with them, tried to convince them they will like it, or anything of the sort.  I don't understand why they are compelled to comment.  There are things that I prefer not to eat, but I don't go around telling other people their food is gross.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: dealing with food-related comments
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:29:32 AM »
I've used ". . . then you don't have to eat it!" as a gentle rebuke when someone takes an overly critical interest in my food.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »
Crack them over their knuckles with a fork? Oops, sorry, evilsiamesecat has now been put back in her cage.

I hate that. I am kind of adventerous when it comes to food, and I've had that happen to me. I usually just go "mmmm or uh huh" and ignore. Its just rude. I don't mind if someone asks "oh, what do you have there, it looks interesting" as long as they aren't being rude, and are merely curious. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:53:21 AM »
I handle comments like that with a big smile, a shrug and "All the more for me!"

Sometimes I get, "You aren't going to *eat* that, are you?" To which I smile and reply, "Yep."

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

scotcat60

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
I don't understand why they are compelled to comment.  There are things that I prefer not to eat, but I don't go around telling other people their food is gross.

Nor do I. But some people who have never seen such food, and do not understand why people eat it, are like the girls in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who giggle beecause Tula tells them she has brought in humus for lunch.It's wired into their brains to mock the unfamiliar.
I got this once when I had haggis for lunch, but a friend, who is a sensible girl asked "Is it nice?", so I gave her a piece and she said "Hey, I like haggis!"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:02:22 AM by scotcat60 »

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
"More for me!"
or
"And you are commenting on  my food because..."'
or
"Don't worry, I won't make you eat any."
or
"You said that out loud, you know."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Response to an "ewww gross" to me will be met with a raised eyebrow with a bemused look and a "Excuse me, did you just call my lunch gross?" Then a short laugh, a shake of the head, and a return to my lunch.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
I usually come up with 'I don't recall asking for your opinion on my food'.   
Coldly.  Very coldly. 

nayberry

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
i tend to take a bite bite and make yummy noises :)  and if they persist reply with "did i offer you any? no? then stop commenting on it!"

Phoebelion

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
When DH's close and extended family visit, it's usually for the weekend.  They are from rural areas.

He always tells me "Don't cook wired stuff".  About the fifth time, I asked him what weird stuff I cooked.

His answer - lamb stew, cheesy garlic biscuts, waffles, bruschetta, steamed veggies, ya know, weird stuff. 

And yes, I have had his family turn up their nose at the cheese garlic biscuts.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:57 AM »
The one that used to get my goat at the library regularly came from someone who was a newly converted vegetarian.  She would often look at my lunch and say, 'Oh, you're STILL eating meat?'. 

Her vegetarianism didn't last very long.  After a few months I saw her tucking into a Big Mac.  Hoo boy, it was a huge temptation to make a comment. 

It wasn't her vegetarianism that bothered me, it was the moral superiority in her voice.  I think it bothered me because it was rare to encounter someone like that. 

IME, vegetarians, vegans, people who keep Kosher or observe Halal are happy to share recipes.  The only thing that should be said about another diner's food is, 'That smells great!  What is it?'. 

Cherry91

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »
I have a massive appetite, and have done since I was a teeny-tiny little girl. The amount of comments I get about my dietry choices is really irritating, from the "concerned" ("a moment on the lips...") to the "waste police" ("why did you order all that, there's no way you're going to eat it!"). It also doesn't help that I have a massive sweet tooth...

BeagleMommy

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:44:33 PM »
Don't "yuck" my "yum".  I said this to someone who said she couldn't believe I was drinking "that nasty Diet Dr. Pepper".  She obviously doesn't know it's addictive.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
I have found the direct look and a pause will make most commenters move on.

That is so annoying!

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »
"Good, you can't have any."