General Etiquette > Life...in general

dealing with food-related comments

(1/8) > >>

that_one_girl:
I don't know if we already have a topic on this:

What is the polite response to comments someone makes about your food?
I moved to a rural area, so some of the things I eat are more exotic than most locals are used to.  It most often comes up when my coworker sees what I have prepared for lunch, something along the lines of vegetarian sushi or seaweed salad, and for some reason decides to say something like, "Eww! gross!"
I haven't offered to share it with them, tried to convince them they will like it, or anything of the sort.  I don't understand why they are compelled to comment.  There are things that I prefer not to eat, but I don't go around telling other people their food is gross.

Slartibartfast:
I've used ". . . then you don't have to eat it!" as a gentle rebuke when someone takes an overly critical interest in my food.

siamesecat2965:
Crack them over their knuckles with a fork? Oops, sorry, evilsiamesecat has now been put back in her cage.

I hate that. I am kind of adventerous when it comes to food, and I've had that happen to me. I usually just go "mmmm or uh huh" and ignore. Its just rude. I don't mind if someone asks "oh, what do you have there, it looks interesting" as long as they aren't being rude, and are merely curious. 

camlan:
I handle comments like that with a big smile, a shrug and "All the more for me!"

Sometimes I get, "You aren't going to *eat* that, are you?" To which I smile and reply, "Yep."

scotcat60:
I don't understand why they are compelled to comment.  There are things that I prefer not to eat, but I don't go around telling other people their food is gross.

Nor do I. But some people who have never seen such food, and do not understand why people eat it, are like the girls in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who giggle beecause Tula tells them she has brought in humus for lunch.It's wired into their brains to mock the unfamiliar.
I got this once when I had haggis for lunch, but a friend, who is a sensible girl asked "Is it nice?", so I gave her a piece and she said "Hey, I like haggis!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version