Author Topic: dealing with food-related comments  (Read 5445 times)

gingerzing

Re: dealing with food-related comments
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
"Good, you can't have any."

My vote.

Or "So glad that I didn't make you a serving" 

White Lotus

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »
I can go off on this because comments in what other people eat or don't, and comments on food at table -- besides saying it is good -- are totally rude.  To keep Evil, Snark, Wicked and Nasty in their cages, I usually do the raised eyebrow cold look and bite my tongue.  Better is when I can answer the question I wish they'd asked: "Sorry.  I don't have enough to share."  And turn away and ignore.

mlogica

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »
My workplace is relatively small and quite friendly, but there are a few people who seem obsessed with what everyone else is eating.  I do find it odd.  Fortunately, no one has ever said anything really negative, such as the OP experienced.  In the interests of workplace harmony, I would simply keep a slightly pleasant expression and say, "Good thing it's my lunch and not yours!" in a slightly pleasant tone, and leave the room ASAP.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
I'd vote for a slightly hurt rebuke: "Please don't make comments about my food."

And if they say anything to defend themselves, then, "I certainly didn't intend for my food choices to become your business. Please don't make comments about my food."

And then stick to "please don't make comments about my food."

Amara

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
One could, with a brilliant smile, say "I love slime!" >:D That ought to take the wind out of their sails.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »
When my children were toddlers, I taught them the phrase, "De gustibus non est disputandum".  There's no arguing with tastes.

(Though now I wiki'ed the spelling, I may have to go correct their pronunciation.)

A little Latin tends to shock the system of people like that.
                www.ellenseltz.com

sweetonsno

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »
I'd respond with a smile, shrug, and "Well, I like it."

Aquamarine

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
"I don't comment on your food choices and would appreciate if you would refrain from commenting on mine.  I find it intrusive and annoying."

After you say the above once, I would start saying "So you keep repeatedly saying" when they comment said with a sigh.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
When DH's close and extended family visit, it's usually for the weekend.  They are from rural areas.

He always tells me "Don't cook wired stuff".  About the fifth time, I asked him what weird stuff I cooked.

His answer - lamb stew, cheesy garlic biscuts, waffles, bruschetta, steamed veggies, ya know, weird stuff. 

And yes, I have had his family turn up their nose at the cheese garlic biscuts.

So ya know, I do think you might have to go uh post to the recipes thread... how many ehellions think Phoebelion should go post these lovely recipes on the recipes board?

As for the naysayers the OP experienced, just give them the look and continue enjoying the food (i tend to eat "weird" stuff too)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
"It's an old family recipe - I guess that you won't be wanting it?"
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

checkitnice

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »
I usually go with a combination of the raised eyebrow and "more for me"

Quinoa tabbouleh at a work potluck got some comments from the more "meat and potatoes" guys ... one of them said "who brought the fish eggs?"  It was actually a hit though, and one of those guys secretly ate some after his comrades took off.  :)

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 01:30:52 AM »
"different strokes for different folks"

I'd use the comments to start a conversation "It always amazes me what people find to be weird, because this food is normal to me.  What do you eat that other people say is awful?"

I think that if you have a conversation about lunches you may head off the comments that co-worker will make every day you sit down to lunch.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »
I get this a lot from my family.  Because I went to culinary school, I tend to be much more adventuresome with my food than the rest of my family.

My go to phrases are "It's a good thing you don't have to eat it" "I didn't plan on offering you any" "And your point is?..."

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 02:12:48 AM »

How about packing octopus sashimi and, when they comment, saying "Oh, but the suckers feel so cool on your tongue!"  >:D

Coralreef

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »
When DH's close and extended family visit, it's usually for the weekend.  They are from rural areas.

He always tells me "Don't cook wired stuff".  About the fifth time, I asked him what weird stuff I cooked.

His answer - lamb stew, cheesy garlic biscuts, waffles, bruschetta, steamed veggies, ya know, weird stuff. 

And yes, I have had his family turn up their nose at the cheese garlic biscuts.

So ya know, I do think you might have to go uh post to the recipes thread... how many ehellions think Phoebelion should go post these lovely recipes on the recipes board?

As for the naysayers the OP experienced, just give them the look and continue enjoying the food (i tend to eat "weird" stuff too)

Yes, I'll second that notion.  Now, that lamb stew... can I make it in a crockpot? 

[/right