Author Topic: Company App on Your Personal Smartphone?  (Read 9031 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Company App on Your Personal Smartphone?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 03:13:55 PM »
Wow! I'd be pretty livid too! 

My DH got a smartphone because his company needed him to have one, as he needed a phone with a good camera and the ability to check email and send pictures back to the office in order to get the right parts for appliances. 

But the company does help with the cost of the bill so it's not a problem with us.  It would be if they had insisted we have one when it wasn't really needed for the job and refused to pay but then put an app on there without asking. Oy.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
I paid a lot of money for my smart phone. My money. And that makes it mine, and mine alone. No way would I be ok with this, at all.

I think OP you, or maybe your co-workers since it didn't actually happen to you, should put this complaint in writing to management (your manager, the IT manager, etc). This is, to me a VERY BIG DEAL and not just something that should be overlooked and the app simply deleted. This type of behavior sets a very bad precedent. What if next time its tracking software that can't really be deleted (sometimes apps can appear to be deleted but are actually still there, running in the background inaccessible).

Hillia

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »
Since you say your boss is a piece of work, and wasn't surprised at the downloading, I wonder if this is some sort of email app so she can email subordinates outside of work hours and hold you responsible for answering, since it's obviously work related, and on the work email server so there's an audit trail.

My company does have the ability to receive work emails on our cell phones, but as others have stated, it's strictly opt-in, and there are several hoops to jump through.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LeveeWoman

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »
Since you say your boss is a piece of work, and wasn't surprised at the downloading, I wonder if this is some sort of email app so she can email subordinates outside of work hours and hold you responsible for answering, since it's obviously work related, and on the work email server so there's an audit trail.

My company does have the ability to receive work emails on our cell phones, but as others have stated, it's strictly opt-in, and there are several hoops to jump through.

Can a company demand an employee perform work when they're not at work?

Hillia

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 03:29:01 PM »

My company does, in certain areas anyway.  On the team I was on previously, all of our work was driven by deadlines set by various state governments.  You were expected to do whatever necessary to meet those deadlines, since missing one could result in fines, threats to the contract, etc.  People working an hour or two from home in the evenings was very common.  We often worked through a weekend to complete a project.  Managers tried to compensate with extra time off, but it wasn't always possible.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Arila

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »
Work can put stuff on my phone when they pay for my phone.

I wouldn't mind a company paid for phone and getting emails on something smaller than my laptop either, but since I don't have one, I'll switch off/leave the baggage behind if I want to.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 03:37:27 PM »

My company does, in certain areas anyway.  On the team I was on previously, all of our work was driven by deadlines set by various state governments.  You were expected to do whatever necessary to meet those deadlines, since missing one could result in fines, threats to the contract, etc.  People working an hour or two from home in the evenings was very common.  We often worked through a weekend to complete a project. Managers tried to compensate with extra time off, but it wasn't always possible.

They've never  heard of the 18th Amendment?

Actually, I was thinking of a situation in which an employee would be at the grocery store or at dinner or the like, would get an e-mail and would be expected to read it and reply right then.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »

My company does, in certain areas anyway.  On the team I was on previously, all of our work was driven by deadlines set by various state governments.  You were expected to do whatever necessary to meet those deadlines, since missing one could result in fines, threats to the contract, etc.  People working an hour or two from home in the evenings was very common.  We often worked through a weekend to complete a project. Managers tried to compensate with extra time off, but it wasn't always possible.

Actually, I was thinking of a situation in which an employee would be at the grocery store or at dinner or the like, would get an e-mail and would be expected to read it and reply right then.

Prohibition? I think you might need to recheck your numbering.  ;D

Eeep!

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »

Considering the whole working overtime to meet deadlines and such, I think the 21st might be more fitting.  >:D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

squeakers

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »

If you are salaried? Yeah.  DH even works when we are on vacation: there isn't anyone else who can do his job, his bosses have no clue on how to do his job and his subordinates are nowhere near his technical level.  So he can talk them through steps but he's the one who has to sign off on stuff. 

Then there is payroll ... he has to do it for his people or they don't get paid on time. Which is why in addition to a company phone he also has a company laptop.

And since some of the companies his company does business with are on the other side of the world there have been times when he has to do conference calls or troubleshooting calls late at night.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »

Yes, in IT, its pretty common. If I have two people who administer an application that goes down but I have people in another geographic region needing to use it, it doesn't matter if it's 9pm their local time, I need one of them to log in remotely and get the system back up. It's pretty common in IT actually. Though we try to have global coverage for basic support items, you can't always have senior experts on every issue across all three regions. But it's something you are aware of when you get into IT.

I'm sure people in public relations, HR, and other industries have the same issue. Even office facilities employees may need to respond in the case of an emergency if there has been some type of damage done to the office.

nuit93

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »

Speaking as an American--yes, if they are salaried and the job requires it.  IT comes to mind.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »

LOL! Sorry about that. It's been one of those days.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »

If you are salaried? Yeah.  DH even works when we are on vacation: there isn't anyone else who can do his job, his bosses have no clue on how to do his job and his subordinates are nowhere near his technical level.  So he can talk them through steps but he's the one who has to sign off on stuff. 

Then there is payroll ... he has to do it for his people or they don't get paid on time. Which is why in addition to a company phone he also has a company laptop.

And since some of the companies his company does business with are on the other side of the world there have been times when he has to do conference calls or troubleshooting calls late at night.

I trust it's worth it.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »

Yes, in IT, its pretty common. If I have two people who administer an application that goes down but I have people in another geographic region needing to use it, it doesn't matter if it's 9pm their local time, I need one of them to log in remotely and get the system back up. It's pretty common in IT actually. Though we try to have global coverage for basic support items, you can't always have senior experts on every issue across all three regions. But it's something you are aware of when you get into IT.

I'm sure people in public relations, HR, and other industries have the same issue. Even office facilities employees may need to respond in the case of an emergency if there has been some type of damage done to the office.

As long as people know what they're in for,...