Author Topic: Vegetarians are the rude ones for not graciously eating food with chicken stock  (Read 2590 times)

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
I'm absolutely appalled by this article on Slate, where someone says not only do they routinely use chicken stock in preparing food for vegetarian guests, he thinks the vegetarians would be the rude ones if they declined this (assuming they figured it out, since he tries to keep it on the down low).  Apparently if someone cooks for you, you must take it; it is rude to stick to your vegetarian beliefs; and vegetarian food is gawdawful.   

I wouldn't mind so much if he didn't bring etiquette into it, portraying himself as the polite one and the vegetarians as the rude one.  Personally, I wouldn't be friends with him and would never eat a thing he cooked. 

But yet I am running across people who think he is right.  Thoughts?  http://mobile.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/09/chicken_stock_vegetarians_need_to_compromise_and_stop_pretending_it_counts.html
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
Iím being a responsible, frugal meat eater by doing thisócanít vegetarians acknowledge my effort by letting slide the few tablespoons that might end up in their soup?

Iíd hope so, because, to be honest, to do otherwise is really rude. While I realize that etiquette is on the wane at this late date, I maintain that it is very impolite to straight-up refuse something someone has taken the time to make for you (and the other, probably carnivorous people present) because of your personal preference.

J. Bryan Lowder asserts etiquette is on his side.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

LeveeWoman

It's rude to refuse to eat something that violates your beliefs? Something that could make you ill?

This guy is a 14-carat gold jerk.

GLaDOS

• FKA TheAscension
  • Would you like some delicious cake?
He knows he's wrong and he's flailing wildly at everything he can to justify lying to his friends.

He admitted it was originally a mistake, which means he wouldn't have put it in if he thought about it.
 Because he wouldn't have, his justifications about chicken stock being some absolute bastion of home cooking that transcends basic human decency are moot.  Feed people what you say you're going to feed them, or don't abuse their trust. Simple as.

His argument boils down to: "Oops. I accidentally made this non-vegetarian. I don't want to start over, but I don't want to feel guilty either. Chicken stock is a super important part of every meal that I make! And it's not like it's /real/ meat.  I mean, yeah, sure, it has animal components in it which goes against the very basic tenets of vegetarianism or veganism, but it's not like it's  got a /lot/ or anything. And I'm really actually doing you a favor because you're a vegetarian and vegetarian food sucks, and instead of taking it as a challenge because I clearly have a sky-high opinion of my own cooking, I'll resent you because I can't eat half a cow at one meal.You won't even know the difference if I don't tell you (even though, it's like, a super special amazeballs ingredient that everything is lacking without), and you'll probably even /like/ it. Besides, I bet John and Marsha will be here, and they eat meat. So really, you're stupid for being vegetarian and I'm awesome for feeding you animal products. Done!"

I have no quarter for people who decide that instead of being honest or truthful ( "I don't like cooking vegetarian fare. Let's either go out, or do something that doesn't involve food."), hide things and snicker to themselves as they intentionally go against their unsuspecting friends' wishes.
There's Science to do!

Queen of Clubs

This is already being discossed in the Coffee Break folder.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=130068.0