Author Topic: Thinking about moving.  (Read 3458 times)

holly firestorm

Thinking about moving.
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
So, I'm thinking of moving, totally out of state. I've been in LA about 25 years, maybe it's time. But, I don't know where I want to move. If you live somewhere outside of Southern CA, what's it like? I like not too much congestion, but somewhat cosmopolitan, a varied ethnic (and otherwise) culture, not dominated by one or two groups, although I'm half Greek and I do love me some Greek culture (restaurants, festivals, etc). What's the employment picture? The climate? I love Sci Fi stuff and cosplay. In a nutshell, that's some of the things that would determine where I'd move. What'cha got EHellions?

Jocelyn

Re: Thinking about moving.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Google 'Places rated'. I've used it to compare the city where I lived and the city I was considering moving to, on a wide variety of variables, from size to ethnic distribution to climate to proportion of population who registered *******. :)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »
Why do you want to move? A change of scenery or a fresh start?

Why out of CA? It's a large enough state that you should be able to find what you are looking for without going too far.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
What field are you in?  My town is a well known city with great cultural events, sports teams, very diverse population, and some of the best Greek food festivals (mmmmmmm).  The biggest emplyers are technology and the health field.

Betelnut

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
Just stay out of the Northern Virginia/DC/Maryland region is you don't want congestion.  We have it out the wazoo.  Maryland is a nice state other than that.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »
Houston has a lot of things going for it - I'm not sure about Greek festivals - but there are a lot of other things going for it.

Congestion (traffic) would be one thing against it.

It's a port city - so it might depend on where in the Houston area you looked at...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

rain

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:15:02 PM »
Think about the weather - we had a teacher from Cali quit her job midyear and move back because she couldn't take being cold anymore, the weather made her miserable

(there were other things too)
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

BarensMom

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
You could always come up the coast to the Bay Area.  Traffic is (slightly) better, the atmosphere is more laid back, and it's probably not quite as expensive as L.A.

Amara

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »
Well, I'm in Santa Barbara, not far up the coast from LA but enough to feel separated. If you'd like to ask me questions, please feel free to send me a private message. (If you want to read a popular local website, google "Edhat."

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 11:50:46 PM »
Well, I love the Salt Lake City area. It gets a lot of bad press, IMO, because it's the center of the LDS church. I'm not LDS at all, but what many people think they know of Mormons is often sensationalized. The people are wonderful. I've never had an easier time making friends. The weather is great, except for January, and the road system makes for pretty good traffic flow most of the time. It's a good place to be if you like Indian food. The mountains are RIGHTHERE, and after three years here I still walk out my door almost every day and am amazed at how lucky we were to get plopped out here from the (cold, cloudy) place we were before.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 06:46:19 PM »
Well, I love the Salt Lake City area. It gets a lot of bad press, IMO, because it's the center of the LDS church. I'm not LDS at all, but what many people think they know of Mormons is often sensationalized. The people are wonderful. I've never had an easier time making friends. The weather is great, except for January, and the road system makes for pretty good traffic flow most of the time. It's a good place to be if you like Indian food. The mountains are RIGHTHERE, and after three years here I still walk out my door almost every day and am amazed at how lucky we were to get plopped out here from the (cold, cloudy) place we were before.

Wow, has it been that long? I remember your posts when you were moving, etc. Seem like yesterday!

I sometimes wish I could pick up and move elsewhere, but as my mom did with her mom, not while she's still with us. Which is fine, i just don't want to move any further from her than I already am, and the job market by her stinks. So every now and then I think about where I might want to move to! Just for fun

Promise

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
The Detroit metro area or Ann Arbor. There are Greek churches, Greektown, a large middle easter community, very ethnic and diverse, etc.

redheadnky

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »
I'm totally biased, but how about Louisville, KY? It might be too small if you are used to LA, but it is cosmopolitan without being congested. It has several long-standing refugee ministries that have resulted in yummy ethnic restaurants. It is laid back like a southern city, but progressive ideologically and a low cost of living.

Its industries are healthcare and e-commerce.

It was voted top 5 food city of the South by Southern Living, number one travel destination by Travel Planet and some other magazine said we have the best tap water. We have 4 distinct seasons.

It would be an especially good choice if you like festivals, bourbon or festivals that include bourbon.

Its a bad choice if you have allergies.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »
Consider Charleston, SC! It's beautiful, rich in history, has a sunny climate (the summers are hot, but that just means beach weather!). It's small enough that you don't feel lost but big enough that it attracts all kinds of cultural events. We have our annual Spoleto festival, of course, which is a huge arts festival. We have a large Greek community, complete with an annual Greek festival. There is no single dominant culture in Charleston; we have it all! I have friends from all over the world that have settled here. You can easily find any type of cuisine you could desire, from down home southern soul food to fine European cuisine. We also have the lowest gas prices in the country!

Our job situation is probably better than many areas. We have several very large employers in the area (Boeing, Medical University of SC, among others). Not knowing your field, it's hard to say much beyond that.

It's a great location, as well. it's a 6 hour drive to Disneyworld, if that's your thing. Or six hours the other way to Atlanta, if you have a desire to go. It's close to Asheville NC, where a lot of people go to see the leaves changing color. It's also a 30 minute drive to the beach. Boating, swimming, fishing and other water sports are very popular here.

Can you tell I love it here?  :) 

I'm not much into Sci Fi or Cosplay so I couldn't tell you about that.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
Consider Charleston, SC! It's beautiful, rich in history, has a sunny climate (the summers are hot, but that just means beach weather!). It's small enough that you don't feel lost but big enough that it attracts all kinds of cultural events. We have our annual Spoleto festival, of course, which is a huge arts festival. We have a large Greek community, complete with an annual Greek festival. There is no single dominant culture in Charleston; we have it all! I have friends from all over the world that have settled here. You can easily find any type of cuisine you could desire, from down home southern soul food to fine European cuisine. We also have the lowest gas prices in the country!

Our job situation is probably better than many areas. We have several very large employers in the area (Boeing, Medical University of SC, among others). Not knowing your field, it's hard to say much beyond that.

It's a great location, as well. it's a 6 hour drive to Disneyworld, if that's your thing. Or six hours the other way to Atlanta, if you have a desire to go. It's close to Asheville NC, where a lot of people go to see the leaves changing color. It's also a 30 minute drive to the beach. Boating, swimming, fishing and other water sports are very popular here.

Can you tell I love it here?  :) 

I'm not much into Sci Fi or Cosplay so I couldn't tell you about that.

DragonCon is in Atlanta, I think....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?