Author Topic: Thinking about moving.  (Read 3523 times)

cwm

Re: Thinking about moving.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
I'm going to plug the greater Kansas City area. There's not too much congestion, especially when you compare with a lot of metro areas, just suburban sprawl. Plenty of culture, we have a Greek festival every year, and an international festival.

The weather is pretty intense, though. We get snow and ice in the winters, tornadoes and thunderstorms in the spring, and heatwaves in the summer. And if you're partial to the ocean, we're a bit far away, but it's still a really nice place to live.

southern girl

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »
Atlanta is great for young people and has almost everything you would want.  That being said, the traffic there is awful.  However, there are some funky neighborhoods close to downtown (which, when I was there was DEAD at night) which are great.  MARTA (public transportation) is not great, but is a great way to get to the airport.

I haven't lived in Indianapolis, but close and I would agree that it's a great place.  The airport is easy to get to and to navigate.

I'm in northern Virginia now and agree that if you live close to the Metro, you'll be fine.  Tons of museums in DC, restaurants all over and very diverse culturally.

The only problem about moving from California to somewhere else is that it often doesn't "take", especially if you're a young person.  My husband has worked with many transplanted Californians who thought they would be okay in another area, but really miss the cultural mindset of California.  They usually only last out of California about five years.

All of that being said, kudos to you for wanting to experience something else.  The more we know, the more we grow.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
I will suggest, generally, smaller Midwestern cities that no one thinks of right away--Louisville KY, Indianapolis, Kansas City have been mentioned already, but also Des Moines IA. These places often have all the basic resources of a much larger city, but with less traffic and sprawl. I was particularly impressed with Des Moines when I visited it last year--just very beautiful and clean and forward-thinking, was the feeling I got.

And/or I would look for a university town in the Midwest/Upper South (KY, TN). Start with lists like the Big Ten or best state universities for X field, and see what towns they're in. A small city where the university is the dominant force, especially if it attracts a lot of foreign students/faculty, will likely have a lot of cultural events and ethnic restaurants, and the atmosphere may be more liberal/social justice-oriented with an overall intellectual bent for people of all opinions. You can narrow down the list by seeing what the university is most famous for--this is just a stereotype :) but a strength in computer science or engineering or math might go along with more sci-fi type of resources, whereas a university known more for an arts program would probably foster a lot of creative spin-offs like theatre groups, art shows, etc..
~Lynn2000

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
I'm going to plug the greater Kansas City area. There's not too much congestion, especially when you compare with a lot of metro areas, just suburban sprawl. Plenty of culture, we have a Greek festival every year, and an international festival.

The weather is pretty intense, though. We get snow and ice in the winters, tornadoes and thunderstorms in the spring, and heatwaves in the summer. And if you're partial to the ocean, we're a bit far away, but it's still a really nice place to live.

Adding my pod here!

Betelnut

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
Des Moines is not very diverse though so that would keep it out of contention.  I'm sure it's a nice place...
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
Des Moines is not very diverse though so that would keep it out of contention.  I'm sure it's a nice place...

Ah, well, I was only there for a brief visit, so I guess I didn't notice that part. Sorry! :)
~Lynn2000

Firecat

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
I live in the Minneapolis, MN area.  Its hot in the summer, cold in the winter, the roads are full of potholes year-round, "Minnesota Nice" becomes "Minnesota Passive-Aggressive" on the roads, and we're continually disappointed by our professional sports teams.

Even with all of that, I would never want to live anywhere else.

LOL - that is so very Minneapolis! But like you, I'd never want to live anywhere else. One of my former bosses told me once that a recruiter friend of his said that Minneapolis was one of the most difficult places to get people to move to - and one of the most difficult to get them to leave. I love it here.

We have a vibrant and active SciFi community, with several conventions: CONvergence www.convergence-con.org (full disclosure, I'm on the CONvergence convention committee); MarsCon, and Minnecon. There are also several anime conventions (Anime Detour and Anime Fusion, for example). Con of the North is a nice little gaming convention, and BritCon is a relatively new convention about all things British. CONsole room is a new Doctor Who convention for 2014. We also have what is, to the best of our knowledge, the only geek-oriented community center in North America (the Geek Partnership Society www.geekpartnership.org).

Last but certainly not least, we have one of the finest science fiction bookstores in the country (Uncle Hugo's, which shares a building with Uncle Edgar's, which is ditto for mysteries).

Minneapolis/St. Paul is fairly diverse; we have one of the largest GLBT communities away from the coasts. There's also at least one large Greek festival (I believe that's in St. Paul). Also a large Somali community. Lake Street, which used to be one of the worst areas in the city, is in the midst of a great turnaround thanks in large part to immigrant families from various Central and South American countries, African countries, who have moved in and set up businesses. I know of several wonderful Irish pubs, too.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
I live in the Minneapolis, MN area.  Its hot in the summer, cold in the winter, the roads are full of potholes year-round, "Minnesota Nice" becomes "Minnesota Passive-Aggressive" on the roads, and we're continually disappointed by our professional sports teams.

Even with all of that, I would never want to live anywhere else.

LOL - that is so very Minneapolis! But like you, I'd never want to live anywhere else. One of my former bosses told me once that a recruiter friend of his said that Minneapolis was one of the most difficult places to get people to move to - and one of the most difficult to get them to leave. I love it here.

We have a vibrant and active SciFi community, with several conventions: CONvergence www.convergence-con.org (full disclosure, I'm on the CONvergence convention committee); MarsCon, and Minnecon. There are also several anime conventions (Anime Detour and Anime Fusion, for example). Con of the North is a nice little gaming convention, and BritCon is a relatively new convention about all things British. CONsole room is a new Doctor Who convention for 2014. We also have what is, to the best of our knowledge, the only geek-oriented community center in North America (the Geek Partnership Society www.geekpartnership.org).

Last but certainly not least, we have one of the finest science fiction bookstores in the country (Uncle Hugo's, which shares a building with Uncle Edgar's, which is ditto for mysteries).

Minneapolis/St. Paul is fairly diverse; we have one of the largest GLBT communities away from the coasts. There's also at least one large Greek festival (I believe that's in St. Paul). Also a large Somali community. Lake Street, which used to be one of the worst areas in the city, is in the midst of a great turnaround thanks in large part to immigrant families from various Central and South American countries, African countries, who have moved in and set up businesses. I know of several wonderful Irish pubs, too.

Firecat, you forgot to list all the theaters, playhouses, art museums, etc!  I know when I moved here, I was stunned at the diversity of things to go see and do. 

Also, re: diversity.  The metro area is very diverse in terms of ethnic groups, LGBT, etc.  Other parts of Minnesota....well...aren't.  When I attended college down in St. Peter, MN, we used to joke that I was the college's idea of diversity - I had dark hair instead of blond hair, and was Irish Lutheran instead of Swedish Lutheran!  :P 

I'll also put in a plug for Minnesota's natural beauty.  It's very green here during the spring and summer - the sheer amount of plant life that grows without any assistance at all from people can be stunning to someone who is used to a more arid climate.  During the fall, the trees changing color are spectacular, especially near a lake or river.  Up north, there's the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, along with lakes, a few lakes, some forests, and then lakes.  ;D 

Peppergirl

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 06:37:01 AM »
I'm a bit homesick right now, so take this with a grain of salt:

My hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio is wonderful.  Traffic isn't too bad, lots of culture (for a midwestern/southern city) and has a decent Greek population.  Lots of Greek culture and events, too.

I moved to central Florida recently (my mother is ill) and I'd kill to go home. :(

HorseFreak

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 07:46:48 AM »
You may also want to take the political/religious environment into account. I moved from up North to the Bible belt and it's hard when you're the only Plum in a sea of Bananas and everyone assumes you're some variety of Banana. It's very uncomfortable for me, personally, and I have to hide it carefully at work.

The culture is VERY different here. I deal with it, but a lot of people make a lot of assumptions about what I'm OK with or not.