Author Topic: Pear ice cream  (Read 564 times)

Snooks

Pear ice cream
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
Does anyone have a recipe for pear ice cream that uses weight rather than quantity?  I've got lots of home grown pears and they're not particularly uniform in size.  If the recipe doesn't have eggs that would also be a bonus purely due to my lack of culinary skills!

Library Dragon

Re: Pear ice cream
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »
Not exactly what you asked for, but I'd purée the pears in a food processor or blender and use a cup measurement.

1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar (actually I'd use less, but I don't like my ice cream very sweet)
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup puréed pears

Mix 5 ingredients together in a sauce pan over low heat and mx until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and mix in the pear purée.  Refrigerate until cool, then make in your ice cream machine.  About 4 servings.

I think adding in diced pears near the end would give a nice "bite".

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

sweetonsno

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »
Will you accept a sherbet instead? This is from Julia Child. I made it once with my little sister. It's not difficult.

It doesn't use weight, alas, but you puree the pears, so just stop chopping when you get enough.

5-6 pears
2 lemons
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg white (fear not!)
3-4 T. pear liqueur (optional)

Grate the rind of the lemon into a large bowl. Strain in the juice of both (you want about 4 T.).

Peel, quarter, and core the pears, then cut into chunks. Put them in with the lemon juice and toss to coat. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar. (Do this as you go along. It will prevent discoloration.)

As soon as they're ready, pour into a food processor with all of the juice and the rest of the sugar and puree. When it's smooth and the sugar is dissolved, add the egg white and puree for awhile longer.

(If you only have a blender, you'll need to beat the egg white in a separate bowl until soft peaks form, then fold in the puree).

Put that bad boy into your ice cream maker and process as per manufacturer's instructions.

Snooks

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
These are brilliant thanks so much. Library Dragon for yours how should I puree them?  Can I just smush them from raw in the food processor or do I need to boil them in something first?

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »
You can purée them raw as long as they are soft enough.  I would just peel, cut into cubes and throw them in the food processor.  You can strain the purée, but I wouldn't bother. 

Hmmm, now I'm wondering about trying to make a red wine poached pear ice cream.  Pears and blue cheese ice cream!  Now you've got me started.  I wish I had a pear tree  ;)

Snooks

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 04:15:40 PM »
Thanks, our crop hasn't been great this year but I've got enough to make some ice cream and other bits.  Mmm blue cheese.

Library Dragon

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:36 PM »
You inspired me. I did cheat and bought pear purée.  I made chocolate, pear, and walnut ice cream.  It was yummy. 

Snooks

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
I've pureed up the pears (slippery little buggers) and I'll get the other ingredients at the weekend.  I've held a couple back so I can add chunks of pear into the finished product.

The rest of the crop went into sorbet which I can make super easily (fancied ice cream as a change).  When I'm home at the weekend I might pick some more pears for cakes.

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
Yum.  Let us know how it turns out.