Author Topic: It's Not The Amount of Perfume... UPDATE, p. 62!  (Read 17770 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: It's Not The Amount of Perfume...
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 10:41:53 PM »
You know what boss? Carla is right.  The perfumes around here have totally gotten out of hand.  To be equitable, how about if we have a no perfume policy at work?  I had a terrible sneezing fit the other day when Carla resprayed herself in the bathroom when I was in there.  Great idea, boss!"

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
I was just going to suggest that Carla is doing this to get back at you or do a preemptive strike on what she anticipates will be your complaints.

I think suggesting a fragrance-free environment is the way to go. That's actually common in most offices these days, anyway.

I agree. Sounds like Carla sensed (or should that be "scentsed", he he he?) that you would complain about her perfume, so she jumped in first and complained about yours.

I really like the idea of having a perfume-free workplace. However, the key is how to implement it. If Boss doesn't want to get the ball rolling, could you go to HR? Or even just speak to your other co-workers and get their agreement?

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Carla, or anyone or that matter, requesting relief from exposure to perfume is fine.
But, requesting someone else not wear perfume because she does't like the way it goes with her perfume?  Not ok.

What's next?  Will you have to check what outfit she is wearing each day so that it doesn't clash with hers?

I would ignore what the boss said.  He has no right ti enforce such silliness on you.  Ad if you have to go to HR, its not you making it a big thing, its him for failing to properly manage Carla.

onikenbai

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 11:42:55 PM »
Go directly to HR as it sounds like your boss is like stapling jello to a wall on this one.  If you are willing to give up your perfume as well, you are much more likely to get them to deal with Carla.  Seems a worthwhile sacrifice.  I can pretty much guarantee you that other staff members have grumbled amongst themselves about Carla, whether or not they have raised the issue formally with the boss or HR.  Carla clearly does not understand the concept that the nose adjusts for scent.  She thinks her perfume is wearing off but her nose is just learning to ignore it.  This is why she douses herself in the bathroom throughout the day, compounding the problem.  Wonder what she would do if she worked on a pig farm?  How would she keep the smell fresh then?  :P

We had this exact problem in our company.  We had two new people join who both enjoyed their scents.  The scents weren't bad, it's just that there was so much of it to be had.  It wasn't until I got chased out of the office from a scent-induced migraine and had to rush home before the puking set in before the background grumblers decided en masse that we'd all had enough.  Since the company charges me out at more than $100/hr, a lost day also isn't exactly cheap for the company.  Luckily my boss was also kind of icked out by the perfume and we didn't have to do the full out HR route so we did reach a happy medium.  Our office hasn't gone strict scent-free, but it draws the line at perfumes, colognes and body sprays.  We are ok with continuing to use whatever shampoos and body lotions you so choose.  Pretty much if you have to do a lean in to get a whiff of your scent, it's cool.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »
Frankly, if Carla wears so much perfume, I'm surprised she can even smell yours. 

We had a volunteer who must have literally bathed in White Diamonds.  It was so bad that people could tell she had been in the library two hours after she left.

When the Boss says, 'Well, you know how Carla is.' I would respond with something along the lines of, 'Yes, I do.  That's part of the problem'. 

Unless Carla is an absolute, five-star, cast-iron plunger of an employee who can't possibly be replaced, I'd take this issue as far as it can go.  Pushing for a fragrance-free workplace is probably the best solution. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »
I agree that I think Carla was reacting to your sneezing fit and going to the boss in retalliation.

If your boss is going to wuss out, I say go find the person who was willing to complain to you about your gum and get them to take on Carla.

But I wouldn't concede to your boss's request to stop wearing scent. I'd go back to him/her and say:
"I thought about it and I find it unfair that you are requesting I stop wearing a scent but continue to allow Carla to wear one. I think the options are 1) You ask HR about implementing a no scent policy 2) You tell Carla that you passed on her request about my stopping to wear perfume and I refused and the matter is dropped 3)You pass the whole situation off to HR and Carla and I go both go speak with them about a resolution. Let me know what you decided."

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
I agree that I think Carla was reacting to your sneezing fit and going to the boss in retalliation.

If your boss is going to wuss out, I say go find the person who was willing to complain to you about your gum and get them to take on Carla.

But I wouldn't concede to your boss's request to stop wearing scent. I'd go back to him/her and say:
"I thought about it and I find it unfair that you are requesting I stop wearing a scent but continue to allow Carla to wear one. I think the options are 1) You ask HR about implementing a no scent policy 2) You tell Carla that you passed on her request about my stopping to wear perfume and I refused and the matter is dropped 3)You pass the whole situation off to HR and Carla and I go both go speak with them about a resolution. Let me know what you decided."

Perfect!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
I'm astonished at the idea of going to my boss to make him/her tell another employee "stop using (aesthetic item), because it classes with someone else's (aesthetic item), and they don't like it." Your boss should have laughed her out of his office.

What next? "The person beside me is wearing ORANGE! Have you any idea how badly that clashes with MY clothing's colour? Make them go home and change into neutral tones at once!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
What next? "The person beside me is wearing ORANGE! Have you any idea how badly that clashes with MY clothing's colour? Make them go home and change into neutral tones at once!"

You know, I always thought the smell of all the coffee my coworkers consume 24/7 interferes with the smell of my hot chocolate.  Hmmmmm.  This thread is giving me an idea.

Kari

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
Your boss handled that poorly. No way should you have to stop wearing a scent while Carla gets to bathe in hers. Since the boss isn't handling it, it needs to become a "big deal" and fall into HR's lap now.

Steve

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »
Please give your boss a chance! I know he is handling this "poorly" as people see it here, but really he is looking for the easiest way out. That usually makes the most business sense. Firing people is expensive (at least it is here) and it is not something that you would want in a recession.

If the boss is confronted with both parties sticking to their case, he will look at each case and judge it's merit.... if he does not have to, he will not.

Just, tell your boss what you told us: her perfume is suffocating, and your's is appropriate. You will not change your cologne, but while on the subject, you demand that she changes hers. Have him sort it out before you go (or threaten to go) to HR.

Goosey

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
Your boss should never even have brought this complaint to you and certainly should NOT have told you who complained.

If Carla's perfume is bothering you, take it to your boss first. If you haven't made a formal complaint, there's no reason for anything to change. If it's not bothering you and the only issue is the absolute hypocrisy of her complaint, I would just let it drop.

As others said, the best thing would prob be a perfume-free work environment.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »

POD to this, and I also like Steve's perspective. I would give the boss a chance to step up and handle it first--basically, let him know you are not going to quietly roll over and do whatever Carla told him to tell you to do. Personally, I think you would be on stronger footing to push for a scent-free policy, because it is very difficult to objectively measure whether someone is wearing too much scent. IME administrative types want solutions that draw a nice, clear line, so if you're willing to sacrifice wearing your perfume in order to get Carla to stop wearing hers, that would be the most easily defended suggestion, I think.
~Lynn2000

lowspark

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
This is a case of the "squeaky wheel" winning over the wheel that goes along to get along. Carla is the squeaky wheel. Boss knows that. He figures you'll give in and make his life easier and that she will give him no end of trouble if he doesn't give her what she wants.

I think in your situation, I'd probably just keep wearing my perfume as always. I wouldn't kick up any trouble because it's just going to reflect badly on me. If asked again to stop, I'd say I did. How are they going to prove you haven't?

If Carla wants to escalate this to HR, it's just going to bring up her own overuse of perfume and she is most likely going to suffer most of the fall out. I would just smile and act as if I'd done nothing wrong, since I haven't, and let her push this as much as she wants till the powers that be decide she's more trouble than she is worth. Meanwhile, you sit back, relax, and keep your mouth shut.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Please give your boss a chance! I know he is handling this "poorly" as people see it here, but really he is looking for the easiest way out. That usually makes the most business sense. Firing people is expensive (at least it is here) and it is not something that you would want in a recession.

"Looking for the easiest way out" is my definition of a boss handling an issue "poorly." This does not make the most business sense -- it's creating a very poor working environment which will hurt productivity. It also shows the boss as weak and people will lose respect for him/her. The boss had a chance to handle it and failed.

Also, it's not a choice between the "easiest way out" and firing -- that's a false dilemma. There are plenty of steps in between that are appropriate.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain