Author Topic: S/O Smartphone: Log in and "like" the company on FB  (Read 3063 times)

MrTango

S/O Smartphone: Log in and "like" the company on FB
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:23:25 AM »
A few years ago, I worked for Evil Insurance Company.  While I liked the work I did, I really grew to hate the environment and despise the management.  They ended up firing me (for an honest mistake) before I could find another job and quit, but I was so incredibly glad to be out of there.

One day, they announced a decision to launch a social media campaign...by having each employee go on Facebook and "like" the company.  About a month after they told people to do this, my boss & his boss came to my desk and said "You haven't 'liked' us on Facebook yet.  Do that today before you leave work."

I refused, citing privacy concerns (IT had recording software, including a keylogger, on all their PCs) and said that the company can do its marketing without resorting to mooching off employees' personal accounts.  "Besides, how do you even know I even have a FB account?"

Big boss went away for a few minutes and then came back and said "I'm sorry.  I didn't realize there were still people around that aren't on Facebook.  I did a search and couldn't find you anywhere."

Oddly enough, I'd had my account for about 5 years at that point.  It's under my real name, but the privacy settings are ratcheted down so tight that unless you're already my friend, you can't find me even if you're looking for me.

Has anyone else had their employer expect them to use your own personal FB or other personal accounts to perform company business or marketing?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: S/O Smartphone: Log in and "like" the company on FB
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:30:21 AM »
My company has occasionally sent out a company-wide email asking us to like their FB page and sharing this link or that, but it is very much a matter of asking rather than demanding. They're asking us to do them a favour, rather than expecting us to do anything.

For that reason (and because I like my company :) ) I've had no problems liking and sharing when relevant.

Had they demanded it of me it would have been a different matter altogether.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Syfygeek

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
When my company started pushing social media, they came up with a "Social Media Policy" all employes have to adhere to or could be warned, or ultimately fired.

Part of the policy that really bugged me- if I had my employer listed on my facebook page (which I did), and complained on FB that it was a rotten day at work, phone calls drove me crazy, etc.. that it was considered harming the company and I could be reprimanded or worse.

After confirming this, I unliked the company page, and removed my employer from my profile. Also, there are some employees I do not want seeing my FB page, we are not FB friends, or even work friends. But those people could see my page if they went into FB as administrator on company page.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
Part of the policy that really bugged me- if I had my employer listed on my facebook page (which I did), and complained on FB that it was a rotten day at work, phone calls drove me crazy, etc.. that it was considered harming the company and I could be reprimanded or worse.

This is pretty standard nowadays. I have heard of people being fired for complaining about their jobs on Facebook even without listing their employer.

cwm

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
I don't list my current employer on FB. Ever. I will list past employers, though. But people can't search for me unless they know me already. It can't be done. I've had too many scares with actual crazy people threatening me. Sorry, no.

The only person from my current company I have on FB is my mom, and I think the personal connection between us kind of blurs the lines of "fraternization" between manager and employee. (Note, she's not a direct manager above me, she's in an entirely different department.)

My company itself doesn't have a FB page. Our parent, which is also one of our biggest clients, does. We're encouraged to follow and like them, and share their posts, but I don't. If I say something about work, it's completely vague, so unless someone knew the situation, I could be talking about my job or working in the yard or working around the house.

At my old employer, we ended up firing three employees and writing up five more because of FB. The write-ups were completely ridiculous, in the opinion of everyone up to and including the distrcit manager, but it was policy, you see. People who had been FB friends for years, since they all signed up, were told to un-friend one of them because she had recently gotten a promotion. Technically they did, but they still wrote on each other's walls and left comments because all of their families were still friends. And because they had interaction outside of work as equals, that was against the company policy. They were discussing pregnancy, children, family outings, cute things their kids said, nothing at all that could possibly be construed as detrimental to the company. So where is the line for FB use and how much say an employer has in personal use?

Hillia

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
The company DS just left had a major FB spam campaign...if you 'liked' their page, you got hit with multiple posts a day about their services, specials, etc.  He got yelled at a few times for not posting enough on their FB page, and not getting enough outside people to 'like' it - they were required to get 5 new 'likes' a week or something ridiculous like that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »
My main job has no FB page. they are deathly afraid of what MIGHT happen if they set one up. So no worries there.

My second PT job is retail. I have neither liked their page, or post on it, even though when I see some of the whiny rants posted, I am sooo tempted to respond back, since I'm "in the know" But I don't

That being said, I also do not have my work info in my FB profile, and I also make it a point to never post anything that would lead back to me or where I work. I might vaguely post about what a terrible day I had, and how work was tough, but no specifics, and certainly nothing about anyone i work with. even though there is PLENTY I could.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »

At my old employer, we ended up firing three employees and writing up five more because of FB. The write-ups were completely ridiculous, in the opinion of everyone up to and including the distrcit manager, but it was policy, you see. People who had been FB friends for years, since they all signed up, were told to un-friend one of them because she had recently gotten a promotion. Technically they did, but they still wrote on each other's walls and left comments because all of their families were still friends. And because they had interaction outside of work as equals, that was against the company policy. They were discussing pregnancy, children, family outings, cute things their kids said, nothing at all that could possibly be construed as detrimental to the company. So where is the line for FB use and how much say an employer has in personal use?

My store manager at my PT job was my FB friend, and then defriended anyone currently working there she was FB friends with. I understand why, but she also is funny about managers and staff "associating" outside of hte office. really? its not like we talk about work, or her, and its not forbidden by company policy, so some of us still do it, but just keep quiet about it.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »
My facebook profile is under my married name, which I do not use at work.  I use my 'legal' name (unmarried name which i did not change when I got married).  And I made sure that I used a previous employer name, instead of my current one.  For just these reasons.

(I'm not paranoid at all!  Really I'm not!  :-)

nuit93

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
We were asked to 'like' the company's FB page, but no one is required to.  That would be...well, silly!

I don't friend coworkers unless I already knew them outside of work before I started there, or they were a FoaF.

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
My facebook profile is under my married name, which I do not use at work.  I use my 'legal' name (unmarried name which i did not change when I got married).  And I made sure that I used a previous employer name, instead of my current one.  For just these reasons.

(I'm not paranoid at all!  Really I'm not!  :-)

I do think too but the difference here is that both names are my legal names.  I can legally use either at will.  of course, in some situations (like when taking out a mortgage) I have to disclose my other name as a legal alias.

Firecat

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:27:39 PM »
I don't list my employer or like them on Facebook, and I don't friend coworkers. If my employer demanded that I like them or start posting/sharing their stuff, I'd start looking for a new job. Not kidding even a little. I don't post about work, ever, and I expect them to respect that I prefer to keep my personal and professional lives a bit separated.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:54:43 PM »
One day, they announced a decision to launch a social media campaign...by having each employee go on Facebook and "like" the company.  About a month after they told people to do this, my boss & his boss came to my desk and said "You haven't 'liked' us on Facebook yet.  Do that today before you leave work."

I refused, citing privacy concerns (IT had recording software, including a keylogger, on all their PCs) and said that the company can do its marketing without resorting to mooching off employees' personal accounts.  "Besides, how do you even know I even have a FB account?"

Big boss went away for a few minutes and then came back and said "I'm sorry.  I didn't realize there were still people around that aren't on Facebook.  I did a search and couldn't find you anywhere."

How dare they? Even if you do have a FB account, personally Facebook is what I use outside of work, to relax and connect with friends. If an employer tried to tell me what to do with my personal FB page I would be astonished and outraged.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:17:02 AM »
Semi related. About 1/3 of my Facebook friends have accounts under names that are not theirs. It helps keep your name from ever popping up on a Google search. I finally got tired of arguing with the ever changing privacy settings and did the same. Works well.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »
I don't list my employer or like them on Facebook, and I don't friend coworkers. If my employer demanded that I like them or start posting/sharing their stuff, I'd start looking for a new job. Not kidding even a little. I don't post about work, ever, and I expect them to respect that I prefer to keep my personal and professional lives a bit separated.

You don't have to put your employer down.   As far as anyone on Facebook knows, I never went to school, never worked in my life, and live in a cardboard box anywhere I can.   I don't have a birthday, either.   Nothing. NO information whatsoever in my Facebook account, except for my name.