Author Topic: You're in my spot..  (Read 6788 times)

amylouky

You're in my spot..
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
Okay, bit of background. I don't really like most camp chairs. They don't fit my body right or something, and they always feel flimsy, like I'm going to fall through them. Then there's the added bonus of having the fabric arms slip down when I try to use them to get up. I just don't like them.

So.. I finally found the perfect camp chair. It has a high back that I can actually lean my head back on, and metal padded arms that are very comfy, but it still folds up like the other portable ones. I bought two, one for me and one for DH.

This past weekend, we went camping with a few of my family members. It seemed l ike every time I went to sit down, someone was in my chair. Now, there were plenty of chairs, because a few people had brought extras, but they were all of the smaller, flimsier, uncomfortable camp chair type.

I know I could just ask them to get up, but that feels weird since there are so many other chairs sitting around. Is it rude and Sheldonesque of me to ask someone to move to another chair so I can have my "spot"?

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Re: You're in my spot..
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
Simply put?  No.  Your chair, your rules

Zizi-K

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »
I would write my name on the chair (directly on it, or on a piece of tape), and announce at the beginning of the trip that the other chairs hurt your back (or whatever) and that you'll need to reserve your chair for your own use. If someone sits in it and you need it, you can say "Sorry Cousin Jimmy, but like I said at the beginning I'll need my chair for my own use. I think I saw yours near your tent." Then just look at him and wait. He'll get up!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
I don't think its rude, but I think it would go over better if you sort of announced it in advance. You don't have to make a big deal announcement but just let people know "I have some physical issues with a lot of the camp chair styles, so if you could just be mindful I'm going to need to always sit in one of the ones I brought" it will make it easier for them, as its more comfortable and relaxing to just pick a chair and sit in it, then to pick one sit then get up and move to another.

You might also want to make a point of making your chairs very super easy to spot - a big logo or something on them. My DH is picky abut his chair, so he got a Yankee's one instead of a generic, its easy to see at a glance due to the huge NY in foot high letters on it, another friend has a Canadian DH and their chairs are easy to spot because they are red & white with the maple leaf. So often camp chairs are quite similar at quick glance, and the differences are only noticeable if you are looking for them; make it so the difference in your chair is ridiculously obvious to make it easy for friends to accommodate you.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
I ask people to give me my chair back all the time.  I also find the flimsier chairs extremely uncomfortable.  Plus, I'm approaching the weight limit for them (most of them are capped at 220 pounds).

So you are fine to ask them to move.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

IrishGenes

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
I think there was a thread on this some time ago.

I do not think it is "Sheldonesque" (love that term! ;D ) of you to ask someone to vacate your chair.  You brought it for your own personal comfort.  You didn't buy it so that Aunt Sally or nephew Ned could enjoy it. 

I have a portable rocking chair that folds up like a camp chair in a bag.  I lovelovelove this chair.  I would not hesitate to tell someone to move from my chair.  I bought it for my enjoyment of rocking (and for my Autistic DS who finds comfort in rocking).  If they like it so much, I'd tell them where they could buy it.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."  ~ The Talmud

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »
Simply put?  No.  Your chair, your rules

^ Simple as that. You don't need to offer excuses. Just a friendly, bright, "Oh sorry-but that's my chair." With an expectant look on your face. If they don't immediately vacate or if they question why you need that one, all you need to say is, "I bought that chair because it's the style I prefer, but there's an available chair over there!"

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
Honestly, even if your chair was just like all the other chairs, I'd still think you are perfectly within your rights to ask people to move. Camp chairs are pretty cheap. There's no excuse not to just go ahead and buy your own and sit in what you brought.

I like the idea of clearly marking your chairs. It's nice to also let everyone know in advance but I don't think it's totally necessary.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
Honestly, even if your chair was just like all the other chairs, I'd still think you are perfectly within your rights to ask people to move. Camp chairs are pretty cheap. There's no excuse not to just go ahead and buy your own and sit in what you brought.

I like the idea of clearly marking your chairs. It's nice to also let everyone know in advance but I don't think it's totally necessary.

I agree with all these.

You don't really need to announce your boundaries--just live them.

Be nice, remember that people aren't inconveniencing you on purpose. Just say, "I'm sorry--can I have my chair? I find it's the only comfortable one for me." And wait patiently. If they say, "oh, but you left!" or anything else, repeat, "This is the only comfortable chair for me, that's why I bought it." And wait.

Then thank them. They're sort of doing you a favor by deviating from the norm (the norm seems to be that all the chairs are communal chairs at the communal gatherings--that seems reasonable to me). And of course, they're getting up, finding another chair, having their conversation interrupted, etc. So they deserve a smile and a "thank you."

After only a few of these instances, people will start vacating your chair, and you won't have to ask (but you should say thanks).

acicularis

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM »
"Sorry, can I have my chair? The other ones hurt my back."

(Unless you think it would go over well to do a "Sheldon" impression, and explain at length why that chair is comfortable, is not too close to the fire but close enough to the other chairs to hear conversation, is not facing into the sun, is not on uneven ground. . .   ;D )
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:18:09 PM by acicularis »

MindsEye

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
If you feel weird asking (telling) other people to get up out of your chair...

What about leaving it folded up and put away (in your tent or whatever) when you are not using it?  Get it out when you want to sit, and fold it up and put it away again when you get up.

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »

(Unless you think it would go over well to do a "Sheldon" impression, and explain at length why that chair is comfortable, is not too close to the fire but close enough to the other chairs to hear conversation, is not facing into the sun, is not on uneven ground. . .   ;D )

You know, I actually love this, given the audience of the past weekend. We all love BBT, so the reference would definitely not be lost. And I'm kind of the Sheldon in my family anyway..

Thanks for the responses! I always feel a little SS insisting on my particular chair, but it really is the only one I can be comfortable in for more than about 10 minutes.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »

This is nice and short! And very clear. Only a churlish person would begrudge you.

poundcake

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »

You know, I actually love this, given the audience of the past weekend. We all love BBT, so the reference would definitely not be lost. And I'm kind of the Sheldon in my family anyway..

Thanks for the responses! I always feel a little SS insisting on my particular chair, but it really is the only one I can be comfortable in for more than about 10 minutes.

That's what I was going to suggest. OWN the Sheldon!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »

This is nice and short! And very clear. Only a churlish person would begrudge you.

That was my immediate thought (although the Sheldon impression would be nice, making your point in a humorous way).
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy