Author Topic: Give that to the birthday girl!  (Read 7423 times)

AnnaJ

Re: Give that to the birthday girl!
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »
I was thinking about this thread today.  The admin assistant in my office, Tess, was declared employee of the month for October, and three of us took her out to lunch.  We went to her favorite restaurant - she's sort of an adopted daughter there - and the owner greeted her warmly.

We mentioned to the owner that Tess has gotten the award, and the owner sent over four *really yummy* banana stuffed dessert rolls, making it clear there was one for each of us, to congratulate Tess.  I thought that was a great way to give a perk, though we all would have been fine with it if the owner had only sent one.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »
People are weird about prizes, awards, or perks.

I worked at a place where a group of employees had a lotto pool.  You had to pay every week and I kept tally of the contributions (I didn't contribute and was the office manager, so I was reliable and trustworthy.)  When they won a sizeable jackpot, one of the regulars was on vacation and hadn't contributed.  She tried to sue all of the others for her supposed share because she had never missed a week before.  Alienated the entire staff and she ended up quitting over it (and got nothing for her trouble).  The manager, who was part of the winner's circle gave me $100 for managing the books.  I was tickled because I wasn't expecting anything.  When I told friends, most people would say, "THAT'S IT?!  They should have given you at least a thousand!"  It was $100 more than I had before and a little presumptious for my friends to be so generous with other people's money.

I once won a 50/50 raffle at work and was going to buy everyone a coffee.  Before I had a chance to take orders, or even tell people I was going to cover the bill, a co-worker announced on the PA system that coffee was on me that day.  I was so put off by the presumption, I bought nothing.  For anyone. 

Would it have been rude for Sally to respond to Presumptor, "You misheard, I was given these cards as a thank you to me for arranging today, not to re-gift."

I would rather be generous of my own accord, rather than being ordered, shamed, or coerced into giving.  It takes away the joy of giving, in my opinion.

POD

My mother used to work at a bank. Many of the workers had been there a long time and had expectations about any giveaway. For example, say Joanne loves green and has made a unilateral decision that any green item at a giveaway is automatically hers. It became tiresome quickly.

The office manager and administrative assistant at my work have top pickings of any and all items that come in. I have reached the point where I don't care any more.

I am team Sally all the way.

tinkytinky

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
I don't think the guests paid into the gift certificates. What they paid for were the services and tip. The money came from the manager/owner, and it was their decision to gift it to Sally. they did not give one to Sally and one to the birthday girl, not both to the birthday girl. It could be considered similar to "you are our 100th customer! you win a prize!" would insister demand that the prize go to the birthday girl? I think Sally is fine with keeping the certificates.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

turtleIScream

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »
I don't think the guests paid into the gift certificates. What they paid for were the services and tip. The money came from the manager/owner, and it was their decision to gift it to Sally. they did not give one to Sally and one to the birthday girl, not both to the birthday girl. It could be considered similar to "you are our 100th customer! you win a prize!" would insister demand that the prize go to the birthday girl? I think Sally is fine with keeping the certificates.

But, if customers 1-99 hadn't come in, customer 100 couldn't have won. Therefore, they all contributed to #100's prize, and are entitled to a share! The same "logic" is at work here.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »

But, if customers 1-99 hadn't come in, customer 100 couldn't have won. Therefore, they all contributed to #100's prize, and are entitled to a share! The same "logic" is at work here.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. Do you really think that all 100 people are entiteld to 1/100th of the prize in that situation? 
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

turtleIScream

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. Do you really think that all 100 people are entiteld to 1/100th of the prize in that situation?

Yes, sarcastic. I thought I was clear, but even my husband couldn't detect the sarcasm. Sorry for the confusion.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I got the sarcasm.   :)  It was the quotes around logic that clued me in.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »

Yes, sarcastic. I thought I was clear, but even my husband couldn't detect the sarcasm. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, my goodness, thank you. I have to admit, my imagination went off on a silly tangent trying to figure out how that would even work. Like, each person could get 1/10th of one fingernail painted and start a new trend, or form their own super-exclusive club and that's how they would recognize each other  :P   Sometimes I am not smart, LOL.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem