Author Topic: When Your Level of Enthusiasm Doesn't Match Your Spouse's - UPDATE  (Read 17220 times)

Shea

Re: When Your Level of Enthusiasm Doesn't Match Your Spouse's
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »
I like going to quilt shows, looking at quilts, reading quilt books, and sometimes I even make one...

VorGuy likes sleeping under quilts on cold days.  Or watching a football game on TV with a quilt tossed over his legs.  He likes to watch sports.  I don't like most sports...ice skating can be fun, sometimes.  I look at the costumes if the choreography doesn't appeal.

I offer to stay home from quilt shows - if he wants to talk about quilts with me.  Or help me sort out something in the fabric stash.

I end up at the quilt show and he watches sports on TV.  We are both happier that way.

Reminds me - I need to finish a couple of projects...
How many is "a couple"?  ;)  If you are a quilter like me, you have Artistic Attention Deficit Disorder.  You get about halfway through a project, and then the newest issue(s) of your favorite quilt magazine(s) come and there on the cover is a project  that's just perfect for that blue leaf fabric that you've had forever, waiting for just this project to appear, so you set the previous project aside, just for a little bit, while you start the Blue Leaf quilt before you forget about it, but it may or may not be finished before the next round of magazines come out...

Or you go to the quilt shop, and there is a bolt of fabric in your favorite color, just crying to go home with you, and you can't disappoint it by putting it in the stash with all the other fabrics, so you haul out the books until you find the perfect project...

Sound familiar?   Hey, OP, take up quilting!  Let DH have Halloween.  They make a lot of cute Halloween fabric now, so you could make him a quilt!

Ha, I'm a quilter, but I'm the exact opposite. I get laser-focused on a project and spend all my free time working on it. BF (who, in addition to not being into quilting, is colorblind and so can only partially appreciate my quilts anyway) just lets me do my thing and spends the time playing Starcraft or whatever game he's into that week ;D.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

MrTango

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
I like going to quilt shows, looking at quilts, reading quilt books, and sometimes I even make one...

VorGuy likes sleeping under quilts on cold days.  Or watching a football game on TV with a quilt tossed over his legs.  He likes to watch sports.  I don't like most sports...ice skating can be fun, sometimes.  I look at the costumes if the choreography doesn't appeal.

I offer to stay home from quilt shows - if he wants to talk about quilts with me.  Or help me sort out something in the fabric stash.

I end up at the quilt show and he watches sports on TV.  We are both happier that way.

How many is "a couple"?  ;)  If you are a quilter like me, you have Artistic Attention Deficit Disorder.  You get about halfway through a project, and then the newest issue(s) of your favorite quilt magazine(s) come and there on the cover is a project  that's just perfect for that blue leaf fabric that you've had forever, waiting for just this project to appear, so you set the previous project aside, just for a little bit, while you start the Blue Leaf quilt before you forget about it, but it may or may not be finished before the next round of magazines come out...

Or you go to the quilt shop, and there is a bolt of fabric in your favorite color, just crying to go home with you, and you can't disappoint it by putting it in the stash with all the other fabrics, so you haul out the books until you find the perfect project...

Sound familiar?   Hey, OP, take up quilting!  Let DH have Halloween.  They make a lot of cute Halloween fabric now, so you could make him a quilt!

Ha, I'm a quilter, but I'm the exact opposite. I get laser-focused on a project and spend all my free time working on it. BF (who, in addition to not being into quilting, is colorblind and so can only partially appreciate my quilts anyway) just lets me do my thing and spends the time playing Starcraft or whatever game he's into that week ;D.

That sounds oddly familiar.  This week for LadyTango and me, it's her origami and my Kerbal Space Program...

pinkflamingo

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »

Please.  We don't condone retaliatory cuteness here.

Off topic, but I just wanted to say that I've been laughing about this for a couple of weeks. I keep imagining what it would be like if people actually did that.

"Fine! If you're going to be that way about it, I'm just going to show you this picture of a kitten snuggling with a bunny!"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »

You forgot the new pattern catalog for clothes (Renn Faire & Halloween costumes are clothes, too), a new counted cross stitch kit or magazine, the machine embroidery magazine (coincidentally, one arrived yesterday), the class schedule for the Quilt Festival in Houston the end of this month, and the polo shirts that VorGuy needs embroidered just as fast as possible to pass out to his students...while I sort out a place to stand after dumping 1/4 or so of the total contents of my storage closet in there to let me use a fan to dry the carpet & padding...and find at least six to twelve hidden UFOs, then start two more due to the Renn Faire NEXT weekend, when VorGuy tells me that I'll be spending this weekend driving students back & forth to a marching competition with him since the other teachers who were going have dropped out (real estate closing out of state & medical leave for recovery after emergency surgery).

I wasn't too busy juggling until after he tossed me several more balls, two pins, a hatchet, and a plate!

And I've been to the fabric store twice in the last few days to get "just a little fabric" to redo a costume....I don't look good in brassy gold, so I'm replacing that fabric in the costume with a pewter/dark silver satin....and I needed to get the satin, some silver ribbon for trim, some silver net off eBay for a snood (no silver net at the fabric store), etc., etc. etc. - as the King sings in the musical Anna & the King (of Siam - I loved the Yul Brynner version on the after school reruns growing up).

There's an idea.  The OP can start obsessively watching musicals and singing along with them, then insisting that her husband should like them just as much and sing along with her - there are so many duets in romantic musicals, after all!  If he doesn't LIKE Rogers & Hammerstein, she can offer to get out a Gilbert & Sullivan...or something newer!  But if he doesn't sing along...well, that's the fun part!

Get out of my head, VorFemme!  I actually loooooovvvvvveeee Broadway musicals and have a tendency to break out in song just because I get one in my head and it has to come out!  Combine that with my ability to quote Jane Austen whenever the mood strikes and I can be quite annoying.  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
o/` Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down... o/`

Oops, I'm not helping, am I?

I am embroidering somewhere close to shirt #43 or so - so about thirty left...the stack is smaller...

The Renn Faire trip this weekend is being rescheduled - someone couldn't get off work, so their vehicle is no longer available to try to get a third to half the college students there.  Which at least gives me a little longer to finish the shirts and then get back to work on my pale green stripe on stripe on stripe chemise (and the weather to cool off so that the extra layer of fabric will be welcome warmth).  Not to mention, if we are lucky it won't rain much and the ground will dry out for walking on.  I do not camp out in tents, even with an air mattress, if I can avoid it.

I was looking at the cutest little gypsy wagons yesterday (some on Tiny Houses links) and thinking, now, if I ever want to go camping at the Faire - that's the way to go!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of 'He had it coming, he had it coming, he only had himself to blame...'

BeagleMommy

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2013, 08:59:38 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of 'He had it coming, he had it coming, he only had himself to blame...'

Hippy Chick, I now have this stuck in my head and DH is going to be stuck in a car with me for two hours tomorrow.  REVENGE IS MINE!!!!!!! (insert evil laugh) >:D

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:50 AM »
My work here is done...

cabbageweevil

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »
I actually loooooovvvvvveeee Broadway musicals and have a tendency to break out in song just because I get one in my head and it has to come out!  Combine that with my ability to quote Jane Austen whenever the mood strikes and I can be quite annoying.  ;D

Maybe you could try your hand at creating a Broadway musical about the life and writing career of Jane Austen...?

Iris

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
I actually loooooovvvvvveeee Broadway musicals and have a tendency to break out in song just because I get one in my head and it has to come out!  Combine that with my ability to quote Jane Austen whenever the mood strikes and I can be quite annoying.  ;D

Maybe you could try your hand at creating a Broadway musical about the life and writing career of Jane Austen...?

I would go see that.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

BeagleMommy

Re: When Your Level of Enthusiasm Doesn't Match Your Spouse's - UPDATE
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
UPDATE:  So on the aforementioned car trip I plugged in my iPod and began singing:

Me:  He had it coming, he had it coming...(followed by) Shall we dance, on a bright cloud of music... (followed by) Come to the Cabaret old chum... (followed by) I could defy gravity...(followed by) Master of the house; keeping of the zoo...
DH:  Are you going to sing all the way?  (I nodded and kept singing) Okay, how about something that's not a Broadway musical.

Me:  Okay. (Went to playlist and picked Andrea Bocelli) Con te par tiro...

DH:  How about something in English?

Me:  Okay (Went to playlist and picked Maroon5) I've got those moves like Jagger, moves like Jagger...

DH:  How about we turn off the music and talk?

I think I won.

Girly

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »
UPDATE:  So on the aforementioned car trip I plugged in my iPod and began singing:

Me:  He had it coming, he had it coming...(followed by) Shall we dance, on a bright cloud of music... (followed by) Come to the Cabaret old chum... (followed by) I could defy gravity...(followed by) Master of the house; keeping of the zoo...
DH:  Are you going to sing all the way?  (I nodded and kept singing) Okay, how about something that's not a Broadway musical.

Me:  Okay. (Went to playlist and picked Andrea Bocelli) Con te par tiro...

DH:  How about something in English?

Me:  Okay (Went to playlist and picked Maroon5) I've got those moves like Jagger, moves like Jagger...

DH:  How about we turn off the music and talk?

I think I won.

I don't think you won - unless your sole goal was to annoy your husband and 'get back' at him.

I hope you guys talked about the Halloween issue, and came up with an acceptable compromise to the both of you instead of trying to go tit for tat with each other when you disagree. I'd hate if my husband were to do that with me.

Elessarion

• As I swam ashore, I dried myself to save time.
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
I'd agree with Girly. That doesn't seem like "winning" to me, that seems needlessly retaliatory and tbh a little childish.

I hope you guys can talk and get things sorted out in a way that makes everyone happy.

Calypso

« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
Sometimes you can talk something to death and all you achieve is to annoy the other person. BeagleMommy, good job. It can be much more effective to "lead someone to discover" your point via a short object lesson.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »
Sometimes you can talk something to death and all you achieve is to annoy the other person. BeagleMommy, good job. It can be much more effective to "lead someone to discover" your point via a short object lesson.

Unless they had just been talking about how he annoys her with constantly asking why she doesn't enjoy Halloween again, I seriously doubt he made the connection.  It just seemed she wanted to annoy him back which is rude and not beneficial to a healthy relationship.