Author Topic: Turn signals in roundabouts?  (Read 7627 times)

Psychopoesie

Re: Turn signals in roundabouts?
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2013, 11:27:51 PM »
All I can say is that US roundabouts/rotaries sound like an absolute nightmare. Feeling very sorry for you guys.

Here they really help with traffic flow and only tend to go wrong when people ignore (or don't know) the rules.

Reminding myself never to agree to do a driving holiday in the US.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »
Travel through the rotary and, when you are ready to exit, use your right turn signal.

And, I would say, if you are going to change lanes inside the rotary.

You never, ever change lanes once you are on a roundabout. The lane you start on is the lane you exit on. Way to dangerous to try and change lanes while driving around it and there isn't a need too provided to got onto the right one at the start. Plus it's illegal (well at least here it is)

I really think roundabouts are something you either grow up with and find normal or are some freakish thing you come across as a adult and never quite work out. Growing up in Australia's capital of roundabouts they never bothered me, even when I was faced with some massive ones in the UK. Only time they freaked me out was when driving in Europe and having to go around them the wrong way! (Wrong for me, perfectly fine for the country I was in at the time  ;D )

earlier I posted this, Columbus Circle in NYC:

One simply has to change lanes to get to where they want get to!
The law here is if the line on the road is broken (dashes) you can legally change lanes, if the lines are solid you must stay in lane. As you can see, within the circle itself the lines are broken, making changing lanes perfectly legal.

katycoo

« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »
It is unusual, though not unheard of, for roundabouts in Australia to have more than 2 lanes.

Bluenomi

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2013, 01:59:33 AM »
All I can say is that US roundabouts/rotaries sound like an absolute nightmare. Feeling very sorry for you guys.

Here they really help with traffic flow and only tend to go wrong when people ignore (or don't know) the rules.

Reminding myself never to agree to do a driving holiday in the US.

I agree. The though of people randomly changing lanes on a roundabout freaks the heck out of me!

paintpots

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2013, 07:25:22 AM »
But people do change lanes on a roundabout. If you're turning right for example (I'm uk btw), you hug the roundabout until the exit before you wish to take, at which point you pull over to the outside lane of the roundabout, signalling your intention to exit.

I think part of the problem is that in the UK we've hand roundabouts for donkeys years - every driver has been taught about them and how to drive around them, and we have a very comprehensive test which is really difficult to pass.

In the US/other parts of the world, roundabouts are a relatively recent introduction, and so drivers who already have a license just have to figure it out, when it's not necessarily intuitive.

Signalling helps those waiting to get on the roundabout to know whether they can go and really helps smooth the flow of traffic.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »
According to my dad, Australia has only had roundabouts since the 80s and everyone hated them at first.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
According to my dad, Australia has only had roundabouts since the 80s and everyone hated them at first.

Depends on where in Australia. Canberra has had them since the 1960s, AFAIK. On the other hand, when I was learning to drive in Darwin in the 80s, there were barely traffic lights, let alone roundabouts. (Ok, exaggerating just a tad but traffic was a lot less complicated there).

I'm sure there was grumbling to begin with - there is every time something's introduced - and there are still people who aren't too keen.