Author Topic: COLD water laundry question  (Read 2642 times)

Library Dragon

Re: COLD water laundry question
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
Good suggestions above.  I almost only wash in cold water. 

Use baking soda wash in the wash and then vinegar in the rinse.  It should do the trick. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
if your clogs are leather or would absorb liquid, try this shoe dryer: 

http://www.peetdryer.com/product_power_cell.html

The most important thing is to get the environment inside the shoes dry. Use it every night.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:03:53 PM by TootsNYC »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »
I only wash in cold, but my husband and teenage DS make for some stinky socks. We use Oxyclean in every load we wash. It works great on odors and bacteria.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »
Another thing that helps with biological smells is enzymatic detergents. 

When I got my first dog, the vet nurse recommended Biozet (not sure if this is an Aussie brand, but there should be something similar where you are) for removing 'accident' odours.  I've used it for all laundry since, and it works very well.

The dogs have an indoor toilet area (lino offcut covered with old synthetic bath mats) where they can go when they can't get out.  I change out the mats every day, and wash them in cold water and Biozet.  They come up smelling fine - which definitely wasn't the case before they got washed!

Oxiclean, vinegar and bleach - not together - are all good at getting rid of smells.  I would be cautious using bleach on synthetic hose because if it's too strong it can degrade the fabric. 

I also agree with a PP - clean the clogs.  You could also fill some old socks or hose with bicarb +/- a few drops of essential oil, and put them into the clogs overnight, every night.  Change out the bicarb/oils regularly.

Another option is some soft 'odour eater' type inner soles for the clogs, but you may need to make them adhere somehow - double sided tape? 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
I soak my workout clothes in cold water and oxyclean between washings.  I don't have enough clothes to wash them every day, so I usually go a week or so before washing them.

I second cleaning your clogs everyday as well.  If they are plastic you can throw them in a bleach bath for about 15 min each night.  If they are leather or fabric, baking soda or wiping them down with bleach would help.

Minmom3

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »
We own the house, and somehow I didn't notice the lack of hot water in the wash room when we walked through originally.  Plenty of hot water elsewhere in the house, and I WILL get hot piped into the washroom eventually!!!  Codes are loosely enforced here in the Santa Cruz mountains, so all kinds of things go on that would get busted elsewhere.  Besides which, I would NOT have moved into a home without hot water.  EVER.

Leather clogs, and I have 2 pairs, and alternate which pair I wear every day.  Not sure how fast they would dry out, and budget is tight, so I can't afford the shoe dryer somebody linked, although I bookmarked it, because it looks like a really good idea for my sweaty feet!  I've read elsewhere about filling cotton socks with baking soda and putting them in shoes to help de-stink

I DO use cold water Tide in the wash, and it works nicely for everything but the hosiery.  I think I'll try getting the Oxyclean and doing a pre soak - do I need to get a plastic tub for that?  Or would a steel pot or the kitchen sink work just as well? 

I can also use vinegar in the rinse water - I could put it in the fabric softener dispenser, couldn't I?  Not sure how to do it if not - my new washer (top loader) locks closed, and unlocking it means aborting the wash cycle...  Couldn't find a washer that allows you to soak at ALL, anywhere.  At least, not for the kind of money DH was willing to spend. I really miss that part of the older washers I've had over the years.  No more long soakings, no more stopping (but not draining) the wash just by raising the lid.  No more dying fabric or t-shirts in the washing machine, either.  Sigh. 

Oh, and I have an actual clothes line out back, which I use in any weather dry enough to work - so they get dried in the sun in decent weather.  Things smell very nice when line dried!  The hosiery get dried on a wood rack in the winter wet weather, which isn't as nice, but I don't put the hosiery in the dryer unless it's really an emergency, and then I heat up the dryer for something else, and then turn off the heat and put the hosiery in on air only.

OK, thanks for all the ideas.  I'll try them out. 

Melinda
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »
I put it in the fabric softener dispenser.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
Wait you can't get a washing machine with a soak function?  That should be illegal :)  I think using a metal pot should be fine.  No need to buy a plastic tub if you don't have to.

If you use a spray bottle with a diluted bleach mixture on your shoes, they should dry in by the time you need to wear them again.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 01:39:45 AM »
I use Odor Eaters spray (Tinactin is another good brand) in my Crocs and Birkenstocks when they get stinky. They should work on your clogs, or even sprayed onto your socks.

squeakers

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 03:09:54 AM »
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/questions/240313-disable-lock-top-load-kenmore-washer?page=1&per_page=50

A guy on that link took his lock apart and finagled it with a second lock and some clips so that the lock did not lock shut except when they wanted it to. 

Better yet, further down in the comments, someone just bought the second lock and attached it to the lid... which allowed one to open the lid w/o aborting the wash cycle.

I'm glad we bought a cheap top load washer the last time around: I am often throwing one more thing in after the load has started.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
Leather clogs, and I have 2 pairs, and alternate which pair I wear every day.  ...  I've read elsewhere about filling cotton socks with baking soda and putting them in shoes to help de-stink

This should help, too.  I've had leather sandals that smelled really bad.  I just sprinkled the baking soda directly on the foot bed, left them over night, rinsed them off and dried them in the sun.  It worked.  Putting the baking soda in socks would be a lot less messy!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Teenyweeny

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »
I wear my ballet flats, without socks, all day every day in summer. Yes, they used to get stinky, to the point that I would get seriously anxious if I unexpectedly had to go to a 'shoes off' place.

They are now totally fixed, via the most simple method in the world. Place shoes in plastic bag. Place bag in freezer overnight.

That's it. The cold kills the bacteria that cause the smell. Plus you have some super cold shoes when you first put them on, in case that's ever been something that would interest you.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
We have used ammonia and baking soda in the wash along with the detergent.

You might try the Borax and another product called Washing Soda.  or rub the foot part of the stockings with a bar of Fels Naphtha soap or another laundry soap bar called ZOTE.

We also used to have a product called Lestoil but that is probably for heavy stains & dirt, not sure about odor.

!!!Do NOT use ammonia & chlorine bleach, or any product containing chlorine bleach, together!!!

cwm

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 01:38:30 PM »
I wear my ballet flats, without socks, all day every day in summer. Yes, they used to get stinky, to the point that I would get seriously anxious if I unexpectedly had to go to a 'shoes off' place.

They are now totally fixed, via the most simple method in the world. Place shoes in plastic bag. Place bag in freezer overnight.

That's it. The cold kills the bacteria that cause the smell. Plus you have some super cold shoes when you first put them on, in case that's ever been something that would interest you.

I was going to come say that. It's worked really well for my shoes. I'm known as notoroious for stinky feet, and my socks seemed to be bearing the brunt of it, but only until I actually paid attention to the shoes. You said you had two pairs of shoes, so you'll be able to leave one in the freezer fully overnight without having to worry about them "thawing" for use the next day, too.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 02:50:53 PM »

I'm so glad that you suggested this. I'm going to try it as well! Thanks!