Author Topic: COLD water laundry question  (Read 3036 times)

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
Re: COLD water laundry question
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
I found this recipe in one of my herbal magazines for foot oder (I used to *really* have a bad problem with it), tried it, and found that it works really well. Also gave it to my SIL for her teenage son, and she is happy with the results too.

You take about 3tablespoons of ground sage, add about 1/2teaspoon of ground cloves, mix them together, and put the mix into the shoes.  At first, do it daily, after a bit can go down to weekly, then to monthly.

An added advantage, besides it killing off the fungus that causes your feet to stink, it also kills Athlete's Foot fungus.  Both of those herbs/spices have very strong anti fungal properties.  And it smells nice  (to me).

Minmom3

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »
My husband has food issues, and we have a rather small side-by-side fridge and freezer.  I think, even if there were room in the freezer for me to put my shoes, bagged securely or not, he would be extremely offended and I wouldn't hear the end of it for months.  Let alone let it happen nightly...  That is NEVER going to happen in this house, there simply isn't space for my shoes in there.  Three complete shelves of meat, one of veg, a large bin of ice and other odds and bobs in the door.  Hate this fridge, it's not super functional, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to bookmark that page about disabling the washer lid lock..  I'm going to do that, it kills me to not have a soak cycle.

You guys are a wonderful source of good ideas, thank you so much!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Library Dragon

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 12:44:31 AM »
We use kitty litter to remove odors from books. You could fill socks with clean kitty litter and put the socks in the clogs each night.  You don't have to change the kitty litter more than once a week. 

For more shoes at once put kitty litter in a plastic tub and place the shoes on top, close with the lid and let them sit. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »
Also, try to find out what kind of water you have. We have very hard water here, and it makes it tricky to get some things clean. When our kids were in diapers, we used a liquid water softener (Calgon, in the laundry aisle) in each load, and it made a huge difference. It might be the water quality, not the cleaners you're using, or maybe some combination.

Thank you for this advice! I have very hard water as well and get frustrated that my clothes often come out dingy.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 02:09:23 AM »
My husband has food issues, and we have a rather small side-by-side fridge and freezer.  I think, even if there were room in the freezer for me to put my shoes, bagged securely or not, he would be extremely offended and I wouldn't hear the end of it for months.  Let alone let it happen nightly...  That is NEVER going to happen in this house, there simply isn't space for my shoes in there.  ...

Ten minutes ago, I just put my Birkenstocks into a plastic ziptop bag and into the freezer. Teenyweeny said to put them there "overnight" not "every night."

I actually don't have very smelly feet. I bought this particular pair of Birkenstocks in 2006. I wear them every summer, maybe 5 months out of the year. This is the first month I've had problems with them and my feet being stinky. It could be some new over-the-counter medications I'm taking or it could just be the age of the shoes. But if the freezer trick works, I shouldn't have to put them in the freezer again for at least another year.

crella

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »
Febreeze makes a laundry additive for odors, I use if for my workout clothes, it works well.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 07:22:57 AM »
My husband has food issues, and we have a rather small side-by-side fridge and freezer.  I think, even if there were room in the freezer for me to put my shoes, bagged securely or not, he would be extremely offended and I wouldn't hear the end of it for months.  Let alone let it happen nightly...  That is NEVER going to happen in this house, there simply isn't space for my shoes in there.  ...

Ten minutes ago, I just put my Birkenstocks into a plastic ziptop bag and into the freezer. Teenyweeny said to put them there "overnight" not "every night."

I actually don't have very smelly feet. I bought this particular pair of Birkenstocks in 2006. I wear them every summer, maybe 5 months out of the year. This is the first month I've had problems with them and my feet being stinky. It could be some new over-the-counter medications I'm taking or it could just be the age of the shoes. But if the freezer trick works, I shouldn't have to put them in the freezer again for at least another year.

Oh yeah, you don't have to do it every night! I don't have especially smelly feet, but I did wear these shoes every day, without socks, for months. I still only had to do the freezer trick once.

Cami

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 11:43:44 AM »
Also, try to find out what kind of water you have. We have very hard water here, and it makes it tricky to get some things clean. When our kids were in diapers, we used a liquid water softener (Calgon, in the laundry aisle) in each load, and it made a huge difference. It might be the water quality, not the cleaners you're using, or maybe some combination.

Thank you for this advice! I have very hard water as well and get frustrated that my clothes often come out dingy.
We have super hard water too and even with a water softener, I too have been frustrated. So thanks for the tip!