Author Topic: NYC hotel dilemma- help me choose  (Read 979 times)

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
NYC hotel dilemma- help me choose
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
So I'm returning to my favorite city on the planet, NYC, at the end of October. I've booked my flight, I'm working on my costume for the Halloween parade, and am making lists of all the cool things I wanna do.

I booked a terrace room at the South Street Seaport inn, in Lower Manhattan- at the time, it was a few hundred dollars cheaper than a view room at the New Yorker. But just out of curiosity, I went back to the New Yorker's website today and checked their rates, and I can score a view room for a few dollars less than my booking for the Seaport Inn.

I really like both hotels, I've had great experiences with them both, I'm just not sure if I should stay with what I have, or cancel and book the New Yorker instead.

The Seaport Inn's a lovely small hotel, but it's a bit of a walk to the subway station.

The room I booked has a terrace, which I got a lot of use from on my first visit. But would I use it as much at the end of October?

The New Yorker has smaller rooms, but it's a lot closer to many of the things I want to do, I won't have to take a subway to get something to eat after 9 pm at night (I'm a night shift worker, I keep weird hours)

So assuming the cost is about equal, which would you go for? A bigger room with that lovely terrace, or a smaller one whose location is a little more convenient?

I don't know if this would affect things any, but I'll be flying into LaGuardia, and most likely taking a cab to my hotel, and back to the airport afterwards. Would the extra distance to Lower Manhattan (as opposed to Midtown) make for a significantly longer commute?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: NYC hotel dilemma- help me choose
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 03:22:11 PM »
I would base my decision on how much time I am likely to spend in the room and on the likelihood of inviting freinds back to hang out.

If I expected to spend very little time in the room and meet my friends out places, I'd go with the more centrally located but smaller room.  If I expected to spend a fair amount of time in my room, I'd go with the larger room and buy a cooler for food so I wouldn't have to go out after 9:00.  And as for weather, New York is quite likely to have some nice mid-60's days at the end of October.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Amanita

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
For me, going out after 9 is quite normal, after 10 years of night shift security, I'm a certified Nightwalker. I don't feel intimidated being out after dark either. (This is in sharp contrast to a friend of mine who hates to be out any time after dark, even in our city, which is reasonably safe)
So I wouldn't worry about going out for food at a late hour, it's just a matter of convenience- having to take a subway uptown or not.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:35:18 PM »
Hotels are like all real estate. There are three things to consider.

Location, location, location.

Cami

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
Location, location, location. (I'm  a native New Yorker,btw.)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:18:16 AM »
To elaborate--riding the subway takes time. You have to walk around underground (going in and coming out), wait for the train to arrive, and ride on the train.

There's value in being near the things you want to do.

If the money difference were big, my answer would probably be a little different. (Like you, I wouldn't worry overmuch about taking the subway late.)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:33:46 AM »
I'd go with the New Yorker, because it costs less and is more centrally located... and because the mall at South Street Seaport recently closed and the area has even less  there no then it did in years past. As for the cab ride, I thought it was a flat rate from LGA to anywhere in Manhattan (I don't know I live in Queens), but if its not and its metered, mid-town is going to be significantly cheaper. Also I believe there are low priced shuttle buses from LGA to Penn Station which is only about 3 blocks from the New Yorker, so if you are on a budget and don't mind a bit of a walk, that's an option too.

But definitely book the New Yorker room first, then cancel the SSS hotel, just to secure things - it would suck to cancel the one then find out you can't book the NYer.

fountainsoflettuce

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
I would go with what room or hotel "speaks" to you, for the most enjoyable experience.  I've stayed at a lot of places over the years and actually prefer the boutique hotels. Can't really tell you why, I just like them better.

Amanita

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
I ended up booking the New Yorker- I plan to spend some time in the garment district, which is right nearby. (I may end up shipping home a box of trim and fabric!)
I think I may end up using the Seaport inn as my destination for warmer months, when I'm sure I'll be spending more time chilling on that terrace.
As huge as it is, I DO like the New Yorker, I found the staff there friendly and helpful, and it's a lovely hotel.

Kaypeep

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »
I heard on the news this week that the parade may  not happen.  They lost money from it being cancelled last year due to Hurricane Sandy, and haven't raised enough to pay that debt from last year let alone the costs for this year.  If I were you, I'd check online to confirm that it's actually happening or not.  I'm sure you can still find a bar or club with costume parties though, but be prepared that there may not be a parade this year.

Amanita

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
I've been following the parade on facebook, they're raising funds on kickstarter, and it looks to be going well.
I don't really "do" bar or club halloween contests anymore- too many bad experiences where people in lousy outfits won the major awards, because they got on stage and did vulgar things like flash the audience. That, and a lot of bouncers would take one look at my costume and its props and say "Heck NO!" -I use metal-hilted lightsabers (Psionic blade, but built using the same tech) as props. I would not be caught dead using the cheap plastic toys as substitutes, I'm not junking up a professional level costume with that, and the hilt I'm building now is designed to match the costume, and there's also the issue of my body type and looks. I'm overweight, so wouldn't pass muster at a lot of places, probably not even on Halloween.

Rather than deal with crap and body policing from bouncers, I'd rather put on my costume, grab a partner, and go do an epic photoshoot around town. "Avatar of New York City Skyscraper on the loose!" Getting my pic taken in the Skyscraper Museum would be all kinds of hilarious, when wearing that costume, for starters:) Likewise visiting Top of the Rock, which encourages people to dress up. Or Times Square, as long as I don't get mistaken for a busker:)

I decided to try something new- I booked a visit to the Statue of Liberty:)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 11:09:02 AM »
We all hope the Manhattan Halloween Parade won't be cancelled.  If it is, haul yourself over to Park Slope and be welcomed in our Halloween Parade. 

The New Yorker isn't far from the F-Train and the 7th Avenue stop in Brooklyn will put you two blocks away from the parade.  When you get off the train just walk down the hill.   

Depending on how long your visit will be, you might want to take a look at the 'Creepshow at the Freakshow' in Coney Island.  You can learn about it at

www.coney island.com/programs/creepshow-freakshow

Whatever you decide to do, welcome back to NYC and have fun. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:20:25 AM by Thipu1 »

Amanita

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
Thanks for the ideas:)
Let's put it this way- on my last return to NYC, I looked at the skyline of Manhattan and said "Yay, I'm home!..Wait, what did I say!?"
Feeling like I had come home- very telling!
And I always get a little weepy in the cab every time I leave to go back to the airport at the end of each visit.