Author Topic: Halloween Goodies  (Read 1133 times)

One Fish, Two Fish

Halloween Goodies
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
I have to put together some goodie bags for approximately 30 children.  Because so many of them are allergic to peanuts and/or milk, I want to avoid candy.  Does anyone have any good ideas?
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Halloween Goodies
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
What about fun pencils and erasers?  Stickers?  Would little boxes of raisins work for a food item?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »
Goldfish crackers on individual packs?

flickan

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
With allergy concerns I'd definitely go for non-food items.

When I was a kid I was crazy for those cheap plastic toys you could get in goodie bags-- like the frogs with the tabs in the back that you could press down on and they'd flip up in the air?  Those were wonderful.  And little bouncy balls if they kids are old enough that they aren't a hazard.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
Stickers, temp tattoos, fun erasers, small stuffed animals, puzzle books?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:39:56 PM »
Just a word of caution - don't assume raisins are peanut free. Some brands make mixes in the same factory/on same machines they package the plain raisins. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

andi

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »
I make cute pencil/eraser / toy bags from the dollar area at Target.  Kids at Boos school love them.

Library Dragon

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
Halloween themed rubber ducks are a hit as a give away.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Paper Roses

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »
For the past few years, I've been giving away Play-Doh.  They sell Halloween themed packages (with traditional Halloween colors; orange, black, white, purple, yellow) but you can also find them in non-seasonal packs, with more color variety.  The cans are pretty tiny, so a couple of them will fit in a goody bag. 

They've been a big hit.  At first I would put a bunch of the cans into a Halloween treat bowl and let the kids pick out two or three; whichever colors they wanted.  Last year, I made up goody bags with two cans of Play-Doh and a few other little toys.  The toys can be found in the party favors section of pretty much any store; Target, WalMart, even the bigger grocery stores will have them.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
As other posters have said, useful and fun things can be found in dollar or party stores.  Six-packs of party favors such as mini-water color sets are nice additions to goody bags for older children.  Plastic spider rings or Mardi Gras beads also work well. 

The beauty of these non-edibles for Halloween is that left over handouts  can be saved for the following year.   

Sapphire23

• I'm a smart cookie!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
Not sure how much time you have, but Oriental Trading has a good selection of Halloween items and decent prices too.  http://www.orientaltrading.com/
Never make someone a priority, when they only make you an option.

sevenday

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
I chime in for Oriental Trading. They have halloween themed ducks as someone mentioned above (I have them! pretty cool.)  And you can stock goodie bags with various things from that place.  Alternatively, you could check the dollar store.  Last year I hit up both Dollar Tree and Walmart after Halloween to stock up on non-candy items like bubble jars, spider rings, etc.  I came out with a big haul for about $10 all told.  Both my sister and my mother are taking advantage of my stash for their classrooms (they're teachers).  I made $20 on that deal so I'll probably be haunting (ha!) the stores again this year.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
What age are the kids?

My first stop had always been the local party store because (in my experience) they had a much larger variety of junk ;) cool toys and stuff for kids say 3rd grade and younger than the dollar tree or other chain stores did.

I think you're getting a lot of great advice, but while a 1st grader would be tickled pink about a spider ring, a 5th grader might not.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
The kids range from 8-10.  I wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.  It's always been very easy to buy a few bags of candy, but I'm really looking forward to hitting the party store this weekend.   >:D
I'll get there.  Eventually.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 07:12:47 AM »
you got some great ideas but... while it's great to focus on non-food items, if i were a 10 yo kid, i would be expecting junk. (Kinda like being invited to a t-giving meal and being served pizza. i mean pizza's fine, but there is an expectation of turkey and stuffing).

there must be some food items that you can find that are dairy/nut free? i would look at things like gummy bears, gummy worms, pretzels, potato chips, gummy worms, candy corn, corn chips, gummy worms, smarties, gummy worms, marshmallows, mike & ike, jelly beans and of course gummy worms  >:D you don't have to focus only on the candy but i would put *something* in there. (I know that you can find dairy-nut free individually wrapped candies/snacks , my sister bought them for her sons' bar mitsvas.)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools