Author Topic: What are your deal breakers as a house guest?  (Read 8558 times)

Cami

Re: What are your deal breakers as a house guest?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
Honestly, I really don't like staying at other people's homes. I don't think I'm that picky, but I've encountered:

1. A guest bed the mattress of which was covered in dog urine, dog feces and dog hair.
2. Being fed food with visible mold on it.
3. A mattress so hard that I ended up sleeping on the floor because that FLOOR WAS SOFTER.
4. Being woken up at 4am when the hostess decided it was necessary to vacuum my room.
5. Having the host barge into my room without knocking while I was getting dressed. (I doubt it was an accident and no, the door had no lock and no chair to put under the doorknob.)
6. Being put up in an unheated attic on an air mattress.
7. Being put on a sofa bed in the middle of the living room -- the room into which the front door opened. At 3am when her drunken brother came home with 5 of his closest drunken frat boy friends.
8. Being told that her cat was being housed elsewhere -- because he had a history of attacking guests in their sleep -- only to find out that she "couldn't bear to rehouse him" or put him in HER room and being woken up in the middle of the night, repeatedly, by the cat jumping on my FACE.

Yeah, I don't stay in people's homes any more. Period.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:20:28 PM by Cami »

jmarvellous

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »
If I found utter filth or was yelled at or caught in the middle of a fight, I'd probably leave.

But I have stayed in some GROSS homes with some UNPLEASANT people and been OK for a night or two. I've slept on floors, in creepy basements, in weird attics, with weird friends or noisy kids in the next room (or the same room).

The bathrooms I've seen ... ugh. But I have never NOT been able to deal, to date.

I would almost always prefer to stay with friends or family over paying the cost of a hotel for the night.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 07:45:08 PM »
Cleanliness; as others have pointed out, in my younger days, not a huge deal, but now, sorry, I can't deal with filth.

Making some effort to accommodate me. I'm not saying my host has to go out and spend a fortune, but at least provide the basics, and if you don't have them, or want them, please let me know so I can bring them. as in milk or cream for my coffee. I've actually brought an entire small coffee maker and fixings to one friend's as she doesn't drink it. And she was fine with that.

don't make me hunt  down   towels, extra blanket, etc. Ask me what I might want or need, and i'm ok with you telling me where stuff is, but don't leave me hanging.

Other than that, I'm fine. for a night or two, I'm fine on the floor, couch, futon, air mattress, etc. I'm really not fussy.

I prefer to stay wiht one cousin and his wife since they "get it" His sister, not so much. she's more of an oblivious host; and her SIL is not, which is why I'd rather stay wiht them.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »
Honestly, I really don't like staying at other people's homes. I don't think I'm that picky, but I've encountered:

1. A guest bed the mattress of which was covered in dog urine, dog feces and dog hair.
3. A mattress so hard that I ended up sleeping on the floor because that FLOOR WAS SOFTER.
4. Being woken up at 4am when the hostess decided it was necessary to vacuum my room.
5. Having the host barge into my room without knocking while I was getting dressed. (I doubt it was an accident and no, the door had no lock and no chair to put under the doorknob.)
7. Being put on a sofa bed in the middle of the living room -- the room into which the front door opened. At 3am when her drunken brother came home with 5 of his closest drunken frat boy friends.
8. Being told that her cat was being housed elsewhere -- because he had a history of attacking guests in their sleep -- only to find out that she "couldn't bear to rehouse him" or put him in HER room and being woken up in the middle of the night, repeatedly, by the cat jumping on my FACE.

Please tell me this was all one person and you don't know that many 'interesting' people?  And I feel for you on #6..I was given a room with an unheated waterbed (in the winter) with a light blanket and (didn't notice til morning) a tarantula in a fish tank.  I never stayed there again!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 09:30:40 PM »

Please tell me this was all one person and you don't know that many 'interesting' people?  And I feel for you on #6..I was given a room with an unheated waterbed (in the winter) with a light blanket and (didn't notice til morning) a tarantula in a fish tank.  I never stayed there again!

Oh the tarantula would have sent me over the edge! I am terrified of spiders. and having known i slept in the same room with THAT would have freaked me out.  I did one time, while visiting a friend, going to a party, and staying at her then BF's house, find out the next morning that BF's brother's room (where i slept) had a SNAKE in an aquarium.  i am also afraid of them, but not as bad as the spiders

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »
Couples having a really (loud) good time in the bedroom next to where a guest is trying to sleep.   ::) :-[

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
I won't even step foot on the property of a smoker, let alone stay there, not that I really associate with many smokers anyway.
(Pet) snakes. I'm phobic beyond belief.
Drugs. Thankfully I've never have encountered that yet, and hope it stays that way.
Excessive drinking.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »
Other than smoke i 'm a pretty easy guest  ( I don't t know anyone who gets drunk/does drugs/parties BT if I did I probably wouldn't want to stay at their house)

The big question is what us the purpose of staying at someone's house? If it's to be in their city ( for business or pleasure) then I wouldn't care as much either about the facilities or the fact that they are busy because I would be coming home to sleep and shower. Generally speaking, I realized on my last visit to family that I prefer staying in hotels at least for part of the visit - not that there was anything wrong with my hosts - quite the contrary -but *I* felt I needed space and to be asble to decompress.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 02:11:00 AM »
If the hosts come at me with too many house rules I insist we both will be better off if I stay in a hotel. One or two rules like no food or drinks in the living room probably wouldn't be a problem, but if it starts to stray into: no food in the living room, TV off at 9:00 pm, everyone must be up by 8:00 am, no more than 15 minutes in the bathroom in the morning... I completely understand "their house, their rules" and I respect that, but all the rules would make me anxious the whole time I was there.

Some of those rules would be dealbreakers for me too!

TV off at 9- No, just no. My favorite shows start at that time, 9-midnight is prime viewing time for me.

Everyone up at 8- Oh E-HELL NO. After spending a decade of my life working night shifts, I am a true nightwalker. I don't do 8 am wakeups for anyone, and on those rare occasions where I am forced, I am NOT pleasant to be around due to sleep deprivation, and no it's not as simple as "just go to bed earlier" to compensate.

Filth would be a dealbreaker for me, as would cold.
Lack of respect for my space and privacy- I would have probably killed the hosts others mentioned, who decided to vacuum somebody's room at 4 am, or barged in while they were dressing.

TheWeirdOne

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 03:34:15 AM »
My deal breakers are pretty similar: Smoking, unsafe situations (drugs, excessive alcohol, people I don't know).
Small children. I can't imagine that anyone with little kids would be too thrilled at having an overnight guest anyway.
Anything that sets off my allergies.
Possibly a contentious one: I do not want to stay at any place that doesn't respect my relationship. DBF and I have been together for almost 5 years now, and we're happy staying unmarried. I'm happy to share a twin bed, or be separate for space reasons, but keeping us in separate rooms because we aren't married? No. I will fully accept the right of any host to determine what they are comfortable with in their own home, and will go to a hotel.

Sammycat: I have a pet snake! As adorable as he is (ok, I may be a little biased) I will need to remember to warn visitors of his presence when issuing invitations. All visitors so far have either wanted to see him or trusted that he can't escape from his cage, but it might be an idea to let people know before they get in the house.

Sebastienne

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 03:43:21 AM »

Wow. This makes me feel like the best hostess ever. I at least vacuum beforehand and keep the cats out of the (heated) guest room, which has an actual bed in it.

Redsoil

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 08:11:09 AM »
Just an aside to TheWeirdOne - I wondered if you used to frequent "The Lounge" on the Aussie MSN forums some years ago?  The name is the same, but the person may not be. 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »
I haven't traveled much, but I have stayed over with friends once in awhile.  One friend, in particular, was The Hostess With The Mostest.   She actually set up the master bedroom in her house as the Guest Apartment, with it's own bathroom and cable tv, and everything you'd need to be happy and comfortable.  I just loved staying with her.  I would love to be that kind of hostess someday, but I only have a small apartment.  However, I have made sure that there is a clock radio and lamp next to the bed, because that's the one thing most missing in guest rooms - a good lamp and working clock. I have trouble sleeping in new places, so I need to be able to read in bed to wind down.   

I had one friend who desperately wanted me to come stay at her place, but both she and her husband smoked heavily, and the whole apartment was saturated with it.  I couldn't even breathe in their place!

Drugs are an absolute deal-breaker for me.  Honestly, I don't care what they do when I'm not there, but I'm very well aware that if they get raided while I'm there, *I* will be swept along and blamed just as much as they are, just for being there!   I have this goal of 'never getting arrested' in my lifetime.

Pets don't bother me. I love furry animals, hate spiders (but if they're contained, I can tolerate their presence), and snakes are no big deal.   

Cami

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »

Sorry, more than one person. The truth is, I didn't know they were 'interesting' until I stayed as a guest in their home. I thought they were all normal people who had basic hygiene and basic understanding of what it means to be hospitable.

I didn't know that my long-time friend's cat who had seemed normal the million times I'd visited her, turned into demon spawn in the night, or that my friend would find him jumping on my face to be acceptable.  The older relative whose house seemed fine until I went to lay down on the guest bed and smelled an interesting smell (that led me to pull off the sheets and find the dog waste).  I didn't know that my relative had a guest bed that was so hard or that the other relative who kept urging me to stay in her "guest room" was offering me an unheated attic. It never occurred to me that ANYONE would vaccuum at 4am Etc. These all came as great surprises to me, which is why I don't stay in people's homes any more -- I've been unhappily surprised way too often.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:22:49 AM by Cami »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »
Cami, if you were a member of my lottery pool, I think I'd kick you out!  The only luck you have is bad.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario