Author Topic: What are your deal breakers as a house guest?  (Read 8099 times)

menley

Re: What are your deal breakers as a house guest?
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
<snip>
Issues include:
- not letting guests use the master bath, even with 8 guests in the house
- looking in the bathroom trash and questioning female guests on the status of feminine articles/matters
- suggesting guests use a bucket in the garage, rather than use the bathroom at night
- not allowing flushing at night
- asking men to kneel to use the toilet
- locking teens out of the house and making them walk a block to use the bathroom

I realize I just don't want to put up with it anymore.

:o
I have no words.

Petticoats

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
<snip>
Issues include:
- looking in the bathroom trash and questioning female guests on the status of feminine articles/matters
- suggesting guests use a bucket in the garage, rather than use the bathroom at night
- locking teens out of the house and making them walk a block to use the bathroom

I have no words.

The words I have are "outrageous," "insane," and "intolerable." No one should have to put up with that.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
<snip>
Issues include:

I have no words.

The words I have are "outrageous," "insane," and "intolerable." No one should have to put up with that.
and ewww ewwww ewwww :-\

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
My big thing is needing my own space - it's not so bad if I'm staying with a single friend, or a couple, but if there's kids involved, I need space. When we've visited DH's sis and her fam, we've had our own room, where I can hide for a bit when the chaos gets a bit much for me. They're wonderful people and I love them, but 4 kids is far more chaos than I am accustomed to, and sometimes I need to hide for a bit.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

nayberry

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
for many years, when visiting relatives, i, as the only girl "child", slept on a fold down bed in the lounge/diner.

i learnt early on to hide the key in the morning, so that if i wanted to lock the door to not be woken up at 7am the next day i'd have a chance.

didn't stop my aunt from trying to use the room in the evening after we'd just arrived on a long haul flight (oz>UK), i already had the bed down and didn't mind the people watching tv in the other half of the room, but she came in trying to move the dining table back out and putting the light on. 

i pushed it back, turned the light off and told her that she'd have to eat on the sofa or in her own lounge (they had two private rooms and we were never allowed up there).  she tried to argue but my grandma told her to go eat elsewhere and couldn't she see i was out on my feet?!?!
Auntie stormed off and was in a strop for days (she was the youngest and didn't like that i got attention from my grandparents!)

flickan

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »
I don't have a lot of concerns.  I don't mind smoke.  I'm only mildly allergic to dogs and having grown up with them I don't mind the side effects too much.

I think I only have two big ones, one of which is that I have a warm and comfortable place to sleep.  Ended up having to spend the night (my fault, circumstances were dire) at a friend's small dorm on the cold floor because there were no extra pillows or blankets.  That was foolish.

The other is if the place is haunted.  In my everyday life I don't worry about that sort of thing but if someone tells me they think they might have a ghost and they honestly believe it... well regardless I won't stay there.  I don't know if ghosts are real but I would prefer not to find out.

Lynn2000

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »
Another friend I went to visit for the weekend in her new house. She and her DH have such fantastically busy lives that even on the weekend, I felt like I was dragged over half the county and I was exhausted by the time we got home. Then they wanted to play a board game. I begged off and went to get ready for bed. About ten minutes after I'd gone to bed, in their bonus room, the DH came in, flipped on the light, and spent several minutes perusing the shelves for a movie for them to watch. ::) They couldn't have done that while I was taking my shower before bed? The weirdest event we went to was a relative's birthday party/family reunion. My friend had promised we would just "drop by" and we ended up being there for over an hour because her DH wanted to stay. Everyone was really nice but had no idea who I was. And my friend and I didn't know if we should eat there or not, because she didn't know when her DH would be ready to leave, or if he'd want to go out to dinner after, or what. Awkward.

This is very creepy to me. You were already in bed and the husband came in? If it was that important to get a movie, at the very least the wife should have been the one to go in your room . I live in a teeny ~700sq ft two bedroom/one bathroom/no guest room. The few sleepover guests get my bedroom and I get the LR floor air mattress. I make sure to take whatever I might need out before bedtime. Once people retire for the night, I feel it's *their* private space and don't go in there

Yeah, I realized after typing this that it made the DH seem creepy. He isn't really, I think they were both just more in the "totally clueless" vein. Like, so far from creepy that being seen as creepy never entered their minds, so they didn't think, "Hey, maybe Wife should get that DVD, because me going in there would look weird." Probably also coupled with their inability to imagine that someone (like me) might be tired and want to go to sleep, since they were obviously planning to be up for a couple more hours at least.

But given that I was in the shower before that, I felt like they had ample time to get whatever they wanted from the room where they'd put me without disturbing me, so that was the part that rather annoyed me. And also the fact that they hadn't decided what they wanted--if it was just a quick, "Sorry, forgot to grab this, night!" that would be one thing. But he was in there for several minutes browsing the shelves, with the overhead light on. ::)
~Lynn2000

veronaz

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2013, 05:35:54 PM »
Bathroom access

I've told before of MIL's bathroom control issues.
I've come to realize that I really don't want to put up with it any more.

Issues include:

:o :o :o

No.  Just....no.   

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
Bathroom access

Issues include:

No.  Just....no.   

yikes...
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

daen

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »
Bathroom access

Issues include:

No.  Just....no.   

yikes...

I think I would choose to never spend more than ten minutes in her house.
If that.