Author Topic: rudeness by coworker -- WWYD?  (Read 5689 times)

mich3554

Re: rudeness by coworker -- WWYD?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
When John returned to work two weeks ago, the office rumor mill said he had asked for additional leave time but his request was denied.

I wonder how much this was the crux of the matter.  John's not fully healed/better and he's in pain and upset that he has no option but to be back at work.....but this is no excuse to take it out on coworkers. 

I have to admit that I am biased right now.   I got an infection from hell in Dec. 2011 and am just now starting to reach the point where I can start considering work.  For the first 6 months of my illness, I was hoping that I would have been able to go back to work but when my second hip became infected too, I had to start treatment all over again and just reset my clock.

For those who don't know, there is a period between around 3 months and up to a year where you fall into a netherland of employment (depending upon employer).  Had my second hip also not gotten infected right after my FMLA ended, it would have been really rough for me to get back to work at 6 months (which I could get because of my circumstances).  At the 6 month point, I had to either return to work or resign my position and apply for LTD.  Since I was still in a wheelchair giving myself IV infusions of antibiotics, returning to work was impossible.

Be professional and polite to him.....really, that's all you can do.  If his rudeness becomes a problem, then he won't be around much longer.

songbird

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
I haven't had to interact with him yet, but apparently he's gotten over the bad attitude, at least for now.

Though I do hear him on the phone frequently.  He's been taking a very active role in his parents' real estate business.  I don't think he cares who hears him, either.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
...  Had my second hip also not gotten infected right after my FMLA ended, it would have been really rough for me to get back to work at 6 months (which I could get because of my circumstances).  At the 6 month point, I had to either return to work or resign my position and apply for LTD. 

What do FMLA and LTD mean? I've never been ill longterm, so never on unemployment, so have no idea what they stand for.

Sounds like you were in a particular corner of medical hell, so I'm hoping things are looking up.

SoCalVal

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:04 PM »
...  Had my second hip also not gotten infected right after my FMLA ended, it would have been really rough for me to get back to work at 6 months (which I could get because of my circumstances).  At the 6 month point, I had to either return to work or resign my position and apply for LTD. 

What do FMLA and LTD mean? I've never been ill longterm, so never on unemployment, so have no idea what they stand for.

Sounds like you were in a particular corner of medical hell, so I'm hoping things are looking up.

FMLA -- Family & Medical Leave Act

LTD -- Long-Term Disability

mich3554

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »

They are, thanks for the comment.  Medical hell and I were personally acquainted, and I hope we never meet up like that again!

However, I will say that the last 2 years have given me tremendous insight into the workings of these (both the Family and Medical Leave Act and Long Term Disability), and why one might act in a certain way.  When you are in particular situations that you've never been in, you tend to act in ways that you would never expect yourself to act.  Some good, some not so good and I know I'm guilty of both.  I've had meltdowns that would be worthy of a 2 year old's tantrum (fortunately, mostly in private).  So this colors the way I see things.

FWIW....I have never had to deal with any of this myself either after 30+ years of being continually employed.  Talk about learning to swim by throwing you into the pool!