Author Topic: Indian/SE Asian Christmas dinner menu  (Read 4463 times)

Dragonflymom

Indian/SE Asian Christmas dinner menu
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:01:50 PM »
My husband and I host the family Christmas dinner every year and do different themes for it.  One year was Mexican, one was a seafood boil, one was medieval Ottoman, one was Silk Road with yakburgers.  This year we are doing Indian and SE Asian.  My husband also deep fries a turkey each year.  My brother especially is really excited as this is his favorite food.

We expect somewhere between 12-15 people.

We'll have 2 diabetics, one lactose intolerant person, one severe cinnamon allergy (so no garam masala :( ), and a walnut allergy to work around.

I've got a tentative menu sort of figured out, as long as all the recipes I'm testing turn out ok, but am wondering if this looks like enough food for the number of people, and looks well balanced to accommodate dietary issues.

Here's my rough menu idea:
Deep fried turkey  (because hubby would be sad if he can't fry a turkey out back  ;D ) with chutneys and peanut sauce to serve with it
Mixed vegetable and potato curry in coconut milk (already tested this one and it passes)
Indonesian black rice pudding with coconut milk (already tested and approved)
Indian chickpea flour bread with green chilis (need to test)
Indonesian pickled vegetables (need to test)
Thai rice with bananas, mung beans, and coconut milk (testing tonight - is this coconut overkill?)
Indian scallops with ajowan seeds (need to test)
Carrot salad with chili paste (need to test but looks super easy)
Indian green bean salad  (need to test)
Mom will probably bring cookies
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

Oh Joy

Re: Indian/SE Asian Christmas dinner menu
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
So many yummy flavors!

How about some plain naan and a bowl of sliced cucumbers to freshen the palate, along with some fennel candy?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
I'd suggest some dairy free raita too which helps with hot curries.

Bluenomi

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »
Make sure you have plenty of naan and plain rice on hand to soak up all the yummy sauces.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:08:24 PM »
Roti is not that hard to make Ian's it can be done in advance, just warm it up and make sure you scorch it a little.

cwm

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
I agree with the naan and rice.

Personally, I'd consider anything with coconuts to be overkill because short of German Chocolate Cake frosting, I detest coconuts. But everyone has their own tastes, and if your family likes coconut, go for it!

Also, may I just say, I love your idea of a new theme every year. It sounds like a lot of fun!

christmascarol

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 02:36:30 AM »
It's a good job we'll be having MIL's Christmas goose, which I drool about for a whole year in anticipation.  Because otherwise I would be crying at not having an invite to your meal.  It sounds fantastic!  Can I ask if you got the recipes anywhere in particular?  Have a wounderful time!

Dragonflymom

"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

White Lotus

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »
Would you please put some tofu (bake cubes until crisp or buy aburage (pre-fried) tofu -- be sure the rinse the latter well in not water before cubic) in the curry?  Your veg friends will appreciate the protein.  This is a lovely menu and so very veg friendly,  I am grateful!  Might want some raw veg and papadams, and use the two turkey sauces as dips as well as for the turkey, just for fun.  Sounds delicious!

christmascarol

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:51:41 AM »
Thankyou so much for the links.  Much appreciated :-) 

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 06:20:46 AM »
So many yummy flavors!

How about some plain naan and a bowl of sliced cucumbers to freshen the palate, along with some fennel candy?

This is my favourite naan recipe ever:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/naan/

Soft, tasty and so easy.  Just swap out the milk for lactose free milk or almond milk. 

I agree that your party sounds wonderful! 

wyliefool

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 08:27:22 AM »
Can I come?? Pleeeeease???  ;D

rm247

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
The only change i'd make is to add a meat based curry. Just in case either the Turkey doesn't cook or, it doesn't go with the rest of the dishes served. Something relatively simple and mild like a Passanda or Kurma

sweetonsno

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 12:45:19 AM »
I recommend finding an Asian-style brine for the turkey.

You probably have enough food, and it looks like you'll have plenty of options. Will you have extra chili (in sauce or powder form) to pass at the table for the guests who really like it hot?

While I don't think it's coconut overkill, I do suggest a starch that is bland. Plain rice? Plain roti? Just something to absorb the flavors of the sauces without having its own flavor.

Dragonflymom

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!  :)

A friend is making plain naan for the party :)

And I've decided to go with a more mild, non-coconut rice with mint.

I'm decided to add an egg curry (I'm vegetarian) so there will be something pretty substantial if there's a turkey disaster.

I've decided the scallops looked a little too finicky to do the day of, so I'm doing a tamarind and chili shrimp salad the day before that's pretty easy and painless.

Adding an asparagus curry that uses the same spice paste as the egg curry so that will be easy.

And instead of trying to make black rice pudding along with the curries on Christmas morning, I decided to do coconut tapioca pudding and Indian carrot pudding the day before to make things easier.

Changed the other salads to papaya salad at my mom's request, and ginger/cabbage salad at a friend's request :)

I think we are set!  :)