Author Topic: Indian/SE Asian Christmas dinner menu  (Read 5263 times)

Dragonflymom

Re: Indian/SE Asian Christmas dinner menu
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
We'll also have sri racha and a couple other types of Asian sauces for the turkey.  And I think the coconut gravy from the curries would work with the turkey too.
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

Dragonflymom

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
Starting the pickled veggies tonight :)
"By swallowing evil goats unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach"  Winston Churchill

Dragonflymom

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »
I found this recipe for the pickled veggies http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-make-banh-mi/pickling/pickling-daikon-and-carrots/

And this one for the coconut pudding http://www.thaikitchen.com/Recipes/Desserts/Thai-Tapioca-Pudding.aspx  (but cooking it with pandan leaves, star anise, and ginger to make it a little more flavorful)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 10:35:38 PM »
That all sounds lovely. I am getting full just thinking about it!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 04:24:38 PM »
How did your meal turn out?

Dragonflymom

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 01:08:44 AM »
It went pretty well, thanks :)  Not everybody liked everything, but everybody seemed to find a fair amount that they liked.  :)

I may scale back on making so many dishes to accommodate everybody's issues next year though, as we wound up with an awful lot of leftovers.

gmatoy

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
So, how did it go? What was everyone's favorite? And please let us know next year what you are planning! ;)

Dragonflymom

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
I think it went pretty well, thanks :)

Judging by what was leftover, I think the favorite dishes were the deep fried turkey, the Burmese ginger salad, and the Indonesian shrimp salad  :)  The coconut tapioca was much more popular than the carrot pudding, but it was probably good to have a backup as we had two guests who really hate coconut desserts.  *LOL*

We're talking about maybe doing a mix of Central Asian and Chinese next year  :)

gmatoy

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 10:53:49 PM »
If I book early, I should be able to afford the plane fare...Oops, almost invited myself :-[...I hope you know that you set the bar pretty high for anyone to ever take it over from you!