Author Topic: Is my MacBook on it's last leg? . . . AKA an unusual problem.  (Read 1344 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Is my MacBook on it's last leg? . . . AKA an unusual problem.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »
Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

That was actually one of the first things I tried, but thanks for the thought. ;)

I ran the repair permissions utility a few more times, there's still stuff coming up. Not as much as when I first ran it -- is it suppose to be completely empty?

Then I backed up (found my external HD ;D) and reset my PRAM again. I restarted the computer several times and it now takes less than 10 minutes . . . so, Progress! ;D

RoseRose -- thank you very much for asking your husband. For some reason I get a bit itchy about reinstalling the OS. I'm not sure why, it's just a thing I have ::). So I was waiting to do that as a last resort.

and, um, well, uh . . . I can't find my start-up disk. :-[  :-[ :'(

How do I go about getting a new one?

Would upgrading to a new OS work just as well?

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! ;D

P.S. I have plenty of memory available. But thanks for the info! ;D

The geeks at the genius bar will reinstall your OS for you :)

RoseRose

Re: Is my MacBook on it's last leg? . . . AKA an unusual problem.
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 12:59:37 PM »
Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

That was actually one of the first things I tried, but thanks for the thought. ;)

I ran the repair permissions utility a few more times, there's still stuff coming up. Not as much as when I first ran it -- is it suppose to be completely empty?

Then I backed up (found my external HD ;D) and reset my PRAM again. I restarted the computer several times and it now takes less than 10 minutes . . . so, Progress! ;D

RoseRose -- thank you very much for asking your husband. For some reason I get a bit itchy about reinstalling the OS. I'm not sure why, it's just a thing I have ::). So I was waiting to do that as a last resort.

and, um, well, uh . . . I can't find my start-up disk. :-[  :-[ :'(

How do I go about getting a new one?

Would upgrading to a new OS work just as well?

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! ;D

P.S. I have plenty of memory available. But thanks for the info! ;D

My husband isn't around to ask if upgrading will do the same thing, but if you upgrade the OS to Mountain Lion, it creates a recovery partition, so you don't need a disk to do an OS reinstall.

And also if you decide to purchase the Mountain Lion upgrade, it gives you like... 30 days of AppleCare support.  (If I remember correctly, Mountain Lion may actually be cheaper, or at least close to the same price as a one time support agreement for computer support.) so if you're no where near an Apple Store you can call tech support for help.

I hope that helps!