Author Topic: Non-fast food drive thrus  (Read 13653 times)

Katana_Geldar

Non-fast food drive thrus
« on: September 24, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »
In Australia, we have drive thrus but it's just for places like McDonald's or KFC. But from what I have heard, drive thrus are a bit if a thing over in the US, even for banks and wedding chapel ps.

Honestly, I find this not only odd but rather lazy. Is it too much trouble to get out if the car?

I do admit, the donut-shaped drive thru one if my friends told me about when she visited LA sounded fun.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Non-fast food drive thrus
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »
Banks, yes. It's generally not because people are "lazy" but because they're in a hurry.

The wedding chapel drive-thrus are kind of a gimmick. I don't know of any outside Las Vegas; it's a quirk that's unique to that city, which is a city of many quirks. You won't find one on every corner.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »
But we don't have coffee drive thrus or drive thrus for ANYTHING else except for American fast food. I doubt even Oporto, a local burger chain, has it.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:18 PM »
But we don't have coffee drive thrus or drive thrus for ANYTHING else except for American fast food. I doubt even Oporto, a local burger chain, has it.

Most of our local burger chains don't either. It's mostly just banks and fast food here too.

veronaz

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »
I’m not real fond of drive-thrus, but I can understand why they exist.

Aside from fast food, lines in banks and pharmacies are usuallylong and slow-moving.  Business can service more customers if they have a drive-thru.  Of course, there is always the transaction which, for whatever reason, takes up more time - even in a druive-thru.

People with several young children in the car sometimes prefer to use the drive thru.  So it’s not necessarily laziness.

The drive thru wedding chapels are a novelty.  Certainly not something seen often (if at all) outside Vegas.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:29:33 PM by veronaz »

Oh Joy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
Pharmacies!  I love being able to drop off and pick up my prescriptions without getting out of the car.  Either I've got sick kids with me who would be happier snuggled in their carseats than waiting inside, or I'm not feeling fantastic and would rather not care whether I'm looking terribly presentable.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
In Australia, we have drive thrus but it's just for places like McDonald's or KFC. But from what I have heard, drive thrus are a bit if a thing over in the US, even for banks and wedding chapel ps.

Honestly, I find this not only odd but rather lazy. Is it too much trouble to get out if the car?I do admit, the donut-shaped drive thru one if my friends told me about when she visited LA sounded fun.

Is that really necessary? You have already posted once about not liking how Americans speak, and now you want to call us lazy. What gives?

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

nuit93

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 07:13:08 PM »
If I've got pets in the car, I'd rather use the drive-through and keep the car running then have to risk leaving them out even for a short time.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
When I was younger, I ran a lot of errands on my bicycle, so often it was better to use the drive-through for simple bank transactions.

I wasn't lazy. There was no place to lock my bicycle like there was at the grocery store and or pharmacy. I admit it was kind of nice not to have to get the kid in and out of the child carrier if I had one with me.

I would never call anyone who takes advantage of any drive-thru "lazy". Even with a handicap placard, it may be easier for some to be able to skip that one time of having to get in and out of the car which can often times be that "much trouble", the driver may be just exhausted from a hard day, have a small injury that doesn't allow a handicap plackard (sprained ankle with binding and crutches, for example),and sometimes when the line is short, the drive-thru may be faster than going inside.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »
Pharmacies!  I love being able to drop off and pick up my prescriptions without getting out of the car.  Either I've got sick kids with me who would be happier snuggled in their carseats than waiting inside, or I'm not feeling fantastic and would rather not care whether I'm looking terribly presentable.

Oh yes, I forgot pharmacies. I think that's a really handy place to have them. It's easier for the sick person because they don't have to come all the way in, and might help prevent the spread of disease too!

Honestly, I find this not only odd but rather lazy. Is it too much trouble to get out if the car?I do admit, the donut-shaped drive thru one if my friends told me about when she visited LA sounded fun.

Is that really necessary? You have already posted once about not liking how Americans speak, and now you want to call us lazy. What gives?

This too. OP, you seem to have started this out in an antagonistic way and I'm not really sure why.

perpetua

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
From my UK viewpoint, drive thru establishments that aren't fast food are definitely... odd, and like it or not, on the surface they do conjure up an image of "what, people can't be bothered to get out of the car?" whereas I'm sure if you dig deeper there are logistical reasons for it.

However, in thinking about it, American towns don't seem to be set up the same way ours are (I'm not even sure what the average town or city centre is like there - I have images of everywhere having strip malls and no town centre to speak of). We have banks on every high street and shopping centre so it's easy to pop in while you're in town. There aren't the same amount of local banks that you guys have - they're pretty much all high street chains. The banking system also seems quite different - we tend to have our wages deposited automatically and pay everything by direct debit, while the US banking system seems to lag behind in that respect with some people still having to deposit a paycheque and write cheques to pay their bills. So, I can see there's more need to 'go to the bank', whereas here, well - I can't remember the last time I even had to set foot in one. Everything's done automatically and I keep an eye on it with my online banking.

I can see the value of a drive through pharmacy - I hadn't thought about the sick kids, but that's a really good point.

The only drive throughs I've ever seen here are McD's, BK and KFC.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:23:12 PM by perpetua »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:22:08 PM »
Ok, first post did sound a bit antagonistic but that may be because as I said, drive thrus aren't as prevalent here. Antagonism wasn't my intention. And thank you perpetua of seeing my point.

Though I think we used have drive thru bottle-o (liquour store).

I do like the idea of pharmacies being drive thru.

perpetua

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »

I don't think anyone's calling Americans lazy. I think mostly it's an issue of differences in town planning and to those who don't live there, some of these things do come across as a little odd or different.

My father could never understand why Americans seemingly drove everywhere, for example, even to do the shortest of errands. And then he visited a family member in the States and realised that there was not one single pavement (sidewalk) in the town, so there was nowhere to walk safely, and then it suddenly all made sense.

To someone who comes from a place that's set up for walking, it comes across as odd until you know the reason behind it. So, not understanding the drive-thru-setup is just a difference in how things are.

Bluenomi

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »
Ok, first post did sound a bit antagonistic but that may be because as I said, drive thrus aren't as prevalent here. Antagonism wasn't my intention. And thank you perpetua of seeing my point.

Though I think we used have drive thru bottle-o (liquour store).

I do like the idea of pharmacies being drive thru.

We've still got the odd drive through bottle shop in my part of Oz but they are becoming rarer, I think it's the whole drink driving issue coming into play.

Drive thru chemists could be good but you could end up spending a fair bit of time waiting while they filled your prescription if they were busy

I've only ever seen drive through at the big fast food chains, usually the US ones, the only non US based chain to have one that I've seen is Red Rooster

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »

Honestly, I find this not only odd but rather lazy. Is it too much trouble to get out if the car?.

That was the line that I thought was antagonistic, not the simple fact that you don't have as many there.

I also thought of some other reasons, one being that finding a parking space is sometimes difficult, so the solution is the drive-thru.

I am a strong proponent of not JADEing, so usually I would just say that it works for the store and people like it and use it.