Author Topic: Non-fast food drive thrus  (Read 10563 times)

menley

Re: Non-fast food drive thrus
« Reply #150 on: September 29, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »

The thing is, here in the US, if you have someone's routing number and account number, you could just as easily take money out as put it into their account. I think, on a similar thread about banking a while ago, someone said that in their country, there is one account number for transferring money to an account and a second, separate, number for transferring money out of the account. Until we get something like that, individuals transferring money between their bank accounts is not going to happen on a regular basis.

How would you do that?

If you mean how would you take money out of an account with the routing and account number, it's pretty easy. While it wouldn't work for in-person transactions, many online payment methods (including Paypal) allow you to use a banking account for payment purposes, and the information you need is just the routing and account number. Now, I imagine that most websites have security checks (making sure the shipping address matches records, for example) to prevent that since the information is so easily accessible.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #151 on: September 29, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »
But the small lots I think are a big thing. Most fast food, banks, and all sorts of other businesses in NYC and even in neighboring Nassau (Long Island) don't have big parking lots, or any parking lot at all. By having a drive-thru they are able to court customers in cars that would otherwise not realistically be able to get to the business at all because they would have no where to park.

Are there no businesses situated in town centres that people can walk to? This is what confuses me, why someone has to drive to and park at the bank. Here, we'd either drive into town and park in the car park, or get the bus into town, and 'town' is somewhere you can walk around and take care of all your business and shopping.

Town centers may be all businesses and a few restaurants (some expensive, a few for the lower paid employees to grab lunch at) - with the only other "food" being whatever snacks might be sold at a fuel station.

The grocery stores will be few & far between - and the prices may be high, the stock low, and sometimes the risk of the store being robbed being high is part of why the prices are high.  Depends on the city.

Houston - I don't spend much time downtown - parking costs money and the one time of year that I want to go downtown for the quilt festival - the price of a parking space will have gone from $6 or $7 across the street from the convention center to $25 or more across the street from the convention center, $20 or more within walking distance, and only the city meters will be the same price - there aren't many meters close to the festival.  Walking a half mile or MORE from your parking place to the festival takes time & energy. 

There are other places where a "city center" is next to a large mall - but no grocery stores in that area, so it is a different type of shopping being done.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

perpetua

« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

The thing is, here in the US, if you have someone's routing number and account number, you could just as easily take money out as put it into their account. I think, on a similar thread about banking a while ago, someone said that in their country, there is one account number for transferring money to an account and a second, separate, number for transferring money out of the account. Until we get something like that, individuals transferring money between their bank accounts is not going to happen on a regular basis.

How would you do that?

If you mean how would you take money out of an account with the routing and account number, it's pretty easy. While it wouldn't work for in-person transactions, many online payment methods (including Paypal) allow you to use a banking account for payment purposes, and the information you need is just the routing and account number. Now, I imagine that most websites have security checks (making sure the shipping address matches records, for example) to prevent that since the information is so easily accessible.

Well yes, this is what I wasn't understanding. If someone got hold of my account number and sort code and say, tried to set up their monthly direct debit to pay their electric bill with it, there would presumably be checks at a) the electric company and b) the bank to make sure that the account holder was the same person. Plus also presumably you check your bank regularly, and if anything fraudulent occurs, you report it and get that money back. That's pretty much how it works here anyway.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »

How would you do that?

Well yes, this is what I wasn't understanding. If someone got hold of my account number and sort code and say, tried to set up their monthly direct debit to pay their electric bill with it, there would presumably be checks at a) the electric company and b) the bank to make sure that the account holder was the same person. Plus also presumably you check your bank regularly, and if anything fraudulent occurs, you report it and get that money back. That's pretty much how it works here anyway.

there would not be unless the bank account holder complained.   You can use anyone bank account to pay a bill by phone with the information printed on mist checks ( you need the zip code they live in too)  The electric company doesn't say "hey why is Mrs Smith from Anytown paying Bob Jones from Othertowns electric bill? we should check into this." if you have the routing and account numbers and the name of the person the checking account belongs too and thier address/zip code they will take the payment.  They will tke the payment if  a woman is calling to use a mans account.  Now  of course once the account holder sees money being taken out to play an electric bill it could be resolved and it would be obvious who stole the money. I've not seen it with checking account(excluding taking actual checks) but it was somewhat common for a relative to steal a credit card and the victim to be unwilling to prosecute, because they don't want to send their child/cousin/best friend to prison.

Curious Cat

« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
Yeah, as long as the company is getting paid they really don't care who is paying for it.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2013, 06:03:16 PM »
That would not be possible with Paypal as they perform a check to make sure the account is your before you complete a single transaction.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
That would not be possible with Paypal as they perform a check to make sure the account is your before you complete a single transaction.

It been a long time since I sent up my paypal account but my recollection is they withdraw a penny and then ad it back and hold the account from making further paypal transaction for 3-7 days?  I don't recall there being anymore steps

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

It been a long time since I sent up my paypal account but my recollection is they withdraw a penny and then ad it back and hold the account from making further paypal transaction for 3-7 days?  I don't recall there being anymore steps
Yes, but you need to be able to access a persons online banking to see that transaction, and that requires different numbers than a bank account and BSB.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »

Paypal puts 2 random amounts into your account.  You have to tell Paypal what those exact amounts were before you can use that account for payments.  If you don't the bank account is not available for use.  So someone can't take another person's bank account info and use it in their paypal UNLESS they also have access to their bank account statements as well
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

katycoo

« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »

How would you do that?

Oh, you mean if I tried to add your account to my PayPal, claiming it was mine to use?  I have only linked cards not accounts so I don't know what the security details are like, but they must have some.
The cards required the printed security code so you have to be holding the card in your hand.

katycoo

« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

How would you do that?

Actually I doubt either would check.  The Electic Co don't care who pays the bill.  Its not their business if you have a private arragement for someone else to pay it.  Same with the bank.  They don't look into whose account you paid.  Its us to you to monitor your account.  The bank security only really has capacity to look for big red flags - suspicious tiny chages, large charges, unexpected international charges etc.
I can't imagine how much time it would take to check the account holder info, not to mention the privacy breaches...

suzieQ

« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
But the small lots I think are a big thing. Most fast food, banks, and all sorts of other businesses in NYC and even in neighboring Nassau (Long Island) don't have big parking lots, or any parking lot at all. By having a drive-thru they are able to court customers in cars that would otherwise not realistically be able to get to the business at all because they would have no where to park.

Are there no businesses situated in town centres that people can walk to? This is what confuses me, why someone has to drive to and park at the bank. Here, we'd either drive into town and park in the car park, or get the bus into town, and 'town' is somewhere you can walk around and take care of all your business and shopping.
I live 5 miles from anything at all. 5 miles from my house is a gas station. It's another 7 miles down a HUGE hill to get to where I work, and another 2 miles from work to the closest grocery store. Walmart? Another 5 miles.
Around here, we have to drive.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2013, 08:34:58 PM »

Paypal puts 2 random amounts into your account.  You have to tell Paypal what those exact amounts were before you can use that account for payments.  If you don't the bank account is not available for use.  So someone can't take another person's bank account info and use it in their paypal UNLESS they also have access to their bank account statements as well

thanks it has been a long time

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
IMO if a business chooses to put a drive through in for their customers to use, then customers should use it.  I don't think it's fair to call people lazy for taking advantage of a service the business offers.

I'm completely arbitrary in the drive throughs I use. I definitely use the bank and pharmacy drive throughs, BUT not all the time.  I don't use the drive through at the Starbucks at all.  It's 70/30 using the drive throughs at fast food places.  My state just allowed open bottles of wine to be taken out of restaurants 4-5 years ago, and mail order wine just after that.  Gambling was just Ok'd 4 or so years ago.  We might have drive through liquor stores in 2030...maybe.  I'm not sure about the regulations on adult stores.  I'm guessing we might have drive through adult stores sometime around the 12th of never.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

IslandMama

« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
I'm Australian, on the Gold Coast, in fact.  We have the standard fast food drive thru's here, we also have the bottle-o (liquor shop or bottle shop... you can see how we Aussie's really do like to nickname things), a drive thru coffee hut, a drive thru dry cleaner, can collect our pre-ordered/pre-paid groceries via Click and Collect (the pick up version of home delivery) and there are two more that I'm thinking of but can't quite picture... but different industries, again.

As for the banking thing, it seems quite bizarre to an Australian that knowing your sort code and account number could cause such a problem.  That's because we don't provide those to companies when we're paying our bills, we log into the internet banking site with an id (mine is an eight digit number that has nothing to do with my account number) and password (one of those "Must use a capital letter, a numeral and be a minimum of seven characters long") and there is the option to get a token from my bank which will produce a random number every time I press it and I can add that as part of the log in series as another layer of protection. 

Once you get through that then you can use the account to Bpay a bill (which is how you would do it with a bill, Bpay is the system they all use) or transfer internally - either between your own accounts or to other accounts in your bank - or transfer externally to another bank.  If I transfer externally I then have to use an external transfer password which is six letters and two digits that the bank sent me.  Just putting my sort code and account number in the payment section of a bill would do nothing except get it returned to me with a late fee and possibly a default fee for not paying the bill.

The other way to pay is online/over the phone through an automated system with a credit card.  I have a Visa Debit from my bank (and an American Express credit card which sees far too much action at times, too!) and do that quite frequently.  I'm always asked for the CCV number.