Author Topic: Non-fast food drive thrus  (Read 13790 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Non-fast food drive thrus
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »
DH works for a small company and direct deposit is not an option for them. He gets a check every week.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »
One of my least favorite things to do is get my kids in and out of the car. It's not so bad now, but when they were both in five-point harnesses, it took foreeeeeeverrrrr. I would actually walk with them the half mile and back to the grocery store rather than drive. That's how much I hated it. It's also the main reason I use the drive-through, since it's almost always faster (without kids) to go in. And then the three year old sees something shiny and wanders off while I'm paying. There's also the cold weather. It's not so bad here, but where I grew up, it got very, very cold (and we weren't even in the coldest part of the US).

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 10:51:44 PM »

Drive thru chemists could be good but you could end up spending a fair bit of time waiting while they filled your prescription if they were busy

I love the drive thru pharmacy...in my area the doctors' offices calls the pharmacy to order the Rx for the patient, I have it set up w/ my pharmacy that I get a text from when it's ready and I just swing by and pick it up. On the rare occasion I've had to drop it off, they do not fill it while I hold up the line. Usually it's "please come back in 20 minutes".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:58:43 PM by Please pass the Calgon »

katycoo

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 11:00:21 PM »
Most checks I get aren't paychecks. I might pick up something for my sisyer and she pays me with a check, that kind of thing.

I think this is a good example of just how uncommon cheques are in Australia these days.  In your scenario above, I would direct transfer the money to my sister.

DH works for a small company and direct deposit is not an option for them. He gets a check every week.

Even small company's here use direct deposit.  I think its easier for them to reconcile their accounts because the transactions are instant.  Much better for someone without a trained employed bookkeeper.

One of my least favorite things to do is get my kids in and out of the car. It's not so bad now, but when they were both in five-point harnesses, it took foreeeeeeverrrrr. I would actually walk with them the half mile and back to the grocery store rather than drive. That's how much I hated it. It's also the main reason I use the drive-through, since it's almost always faster (without kids) to go in. And then the three year old sees something shiny and wanders off while I'm paying. There's also the cold weather. It's not so bad here, but where I grew up, it got very, very cold (and we weren't even in the coldest part of the US).

Most Supermarkets in Australia are one of 2 corporations and both do home delivery now for $7.  I think every parent I know feels that they save the $7 in time and energy (and rewards/shut up tokens) by not having to drag their kids to the shops.

JoW

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 11:19:22 PM »
I'm usually not fond of drive-throughs, but when I was on crutches they were a godsend.

I have never heard of a bombing at an ATM in the US.  Mugging are much more common.  I routinely use a drive-up ATM even when I'm not on crutches.

The only drive-through funeral home I've ever heard of was in Florida.   Many Americans retire to the warmer parts of the country.  That includes Florida, which has a huge number of retirees. Someone who uses a wheel chair or walker might not be able to pay last respects to a friend if they have to get out of the car to go in the funeral home. 

Europeans often don't realize how the US sprawls.  Sure, our cities have centers.  We call them "business districts."  But the great American need for room means most people don't live in or near the downtown business district.  Bus service is limited, commuter trains are almost nonexistent.  We drive everywere.  Being able to stop at the bank or pick up fast food on the way home has a lot of appeal to many people.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
Most checks I get aren't paychecks. I might pick up something for my sisyer and she pays me with a check, that kind of thing.

I think this is a good example of just how uncommon cheques are in Australia these days.  In your scenario above, I would direct transfer the money to my sister.

Even small company's here use direct deposit.  I think its easier for them to reconcile their accounts because the transactions are instant.  Much better for someone without a trained employed bookkeeper.

Most Supermarkets in Australia are one of 2 corporations and both do home delivery now for $7.  I think every parent I know feels that they save the $7 in time and energy (and rewards/shut up tokens) by not having to drag their kids to the shops.
There are 3 grocers in my area who deliver but I prefer to go to the store, browse what looks good and select my own fresh produce, meats and seafood.

Bluenomi

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »

Drive thru chemists could be good but you could end up spending a fair bit of time waiting while they filled your prescription if they were busy

I love the drive thru pharmacy...in my area the doctors' offices calls the pharmacy to order the Rx for the patient, I have it set up w/ my pharmacy that I get a text from when it's ready and I just swing by and pick it up. On the rare occasion I've had to drop it off, they do not fill it while I hold up the line. Usually it's "please come back in 20 minutes".

Ahh that would make it easier. Here the doctor has no idea what pharmacy I use and since I use 3 or 4 depending on which shops I'm going to it would be tricky to sort.

Bluenomi

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:02 PM »

There are 3 grocers in my area who deliver but I prefer to go to the store, browse what looks good and select my own fresh produce, meats and seafood.

I use the home delivery but mostly just for canned/frozen/packet stuff. I still get my fruit, veg and meat from the markets but getting everything else delivered saves me so much time and being very pregnant with twins, the pain of walking around the supermarket. It's pretty hard to stuff up when they just need to grab something off a shelf!

katycoo

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2013, 01:18:25 AM »

Ahh that would make it easier. Here the doctor has no idea what pharmacy I use and since I use 3 or 4 depending on which shops I'm going to it would be tricky to sort.

Why does your doctor need to know what pharmacy you use?

I can take my script anywhere to be filled, depending on what is most convenient for me at the time.  I dont need to decide in advance and tell the doctor who is writing the script.

nuit93

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:16 AM »

I can take my script anywhere to be filled, depending on what is most convenient for me at the time.  I dont need to decide in advance and tell the doctor who is writing the script.

It's recommended that patients fill all their prescriptions at the same pharmacy (or at least the same chain) so that a pharmacist can catch a potential contraindication.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 01:32:31 AM »
I was going to say the same thing.  My doctor gives me the option of either having them send it electronically or giving it to me as a written prescription.  I don't think my doctors care about where it's filled. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 01:41:12 AM »

Well Please pass the Calgon said her doctor sends her script to the pharmacy so in order to do that, they need to know where to send it. I was just saying that I use a few so that wouldn't really work for me.

katycoo

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 02:29:56 AM »

Well Please pass the Calgon said her doctor sends her script to the pharmacy so in order to do that, they need to know where to send it. I was just saying that I use a few so that wouldn't really work for me.

It wasn't an interrogation of you per se, just that the comment seemed to accept that your doctor might ever need to know.  Scripts aren't sent to pharmacy's electronically, as far as I'm aware.  I always get a written script.

perpetua

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2013, 03:51:20 AM »
Here in the UK the doctor prints out the prescription on special prescription paper and gives it to you. It looks like this:

Prescriptions must have a doctor's 'stamp' on them containing the surgery's name and address to prove they're genuine. This used to be an actual rubber stamp, but now is computerised, mostly. It also had to be signed by the GP, although I'm not sure if that's still a rule with the electronic-ness of the stamp now. The doctor then gives you the prescription and you take it to whatever chemist you like - there are usually a few independents plus chains like Boots or Superdrug on every high street, a lot of big supermarkets have a pharmacy dept, many small local shopping areas on housing estates and the like have an independent, and there'll usually be one close to the GP's surgery - and wait while it's prepared. It doesn't usually take any more than 10 minutes even if there are a few people in front of you.

Prescription charges are 7-something per item in England but free in other parts of the UK. People on certain benefits don't have to pay for their prescriptons and must tick the clause that applies to them on the back of the prescription and sign it before handing it to the chemist. People with certain chronic conditions like epilepsy also don't have to pay, and have what's called an 'exemption certificate'. So, there's no checking of insurance details on the computer when you take it in because you either tick or pay. Even if you do have medical insurance and see a private doctor, I think they'd still give you the same prescription and you'd take it to the chemist and pay the prescription charge, but don't quote me on that because I don't have it.

Many chemists operate a delivery service for people who are elderly or mobility impaired and can't get out to pick up their prescriptions. In that case, the GP's surgery will send all the prescriptions that need to be delivered to the chemist (usually the one closest to the GP's surgery who deals with them all) and there will be a delivery round sometime usually late afternoon. It's a really good service and doesn't cost anything to the patient. My elderly father uses that service all the time and I've used it on occasions when my mobility has been too bad to get out.

On my last GP's appt, the doctor told me that they've just started sending prescriptions electronically; you have to have a 'nominated' chemist on your medical records and then it'll automatically go there and you can pick it up. I prefer to have it in my hand though.

In the picture, that's a 'repeat prescription', for meds that you have to take all the time. The white piece on the right is the repeat slip, and you retain that when you give the script to the chemist. When you're about to run out you tick what you need, drop it into your surgery and they'll do you a prescription to pick up. You usually have to give 2 days notice, ie, drop the repeat slip back and your script will be ready to collect a couple of days later.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:57:54 AM by perpetua »

veryfluffy

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 04:57:14 AM »
Here in the UK the doctor prints out the prescription on special prescription paper and gives it to you. ...

On my last GP's appt, the doctor told me that they've just started sending prescriptions electronically; you have to have a 'nominated' chemist on your medical records and then it'll automatically go there and you can pick it up. I prefer to have it in my hand though.

I live in a village with one doctors' surgery and one chemist. I could probably get a printed prescription and take it to whatever chemist I wanted, but generally it is just sent electronically to the shop and I pick it up the next day. For my repeat prescriptions, I just have to telephone the surgery and then go to collect it.