Author Topic: Non-fast food drive thrus  (Read 13769 times)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Re: Non-fast food drive thrus
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 08:38:10 PM »
The discussion of the word "lazy" will now come to an end.  I'd like to remind everyone that the purpose of this folder is to bridge differences, and not to take such quick offense.  Cross-cultural communication requires patience and flexibility.  If you aren't willing to be patient and flexible, go away.

...and I'll take this opportunity to mention the drive-through liquor stores I saw in Oz.  >:D

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »
I have experieced actual temperatures well below zero and wind chills of -70. When the weather is that bitterly cold you avoid getting out of the car. In fact, when parking lots ate icy in genetal you might take the drive-thru option and avoid a slip and fall situation.

I do know other people who tend to use it because they have the kids with them and it is a lot more efficient than unloading the kids, taking them into X business, bringing thrm back out to the car and loading them back up.

katycoo

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
The discussion of the word "lazy" will now come to an end.  I'd like to remind everyone that the purpose of this folder is to bridge differences, and not to take such quick offense.  Cross-cultural communication requires patience and flexibility.  If you aren't willing to be patient and flexible, go away.

...and I'll take this opportunity to mention the drive-through liquor stores I saw in Oz.  >:D

As a side note, our drive through liquor stores still require you to get out of the car.  I'm not quite sure what the point is except as a slightly quicker transaction and less choice.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
Mainly just restaurants, both fast-food and quick-service here. Pharmacies and banks also. Drive through coffee shops are very popular.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »

As a side note, our drive through liquor stores still require you to get out of the car.  I'm not quite sure what the point is except as a slightly quicker transaction and less choice.
Some of them used to have car service, particularly if you were just going to be in and out. But they're rarer these days.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
I remember going to banks on a Friday in the 70s  the line might have been as long as a hour to deposit a check as of 10 years ago the lines at the credit union were 20 minutes plus on a Friday.  It was more comfortable to wait in your car where you could play the radio , the kids wouldn't act up as much(or if they did it didn't bother other people) , control the temperature ect. the drive through tending to be open later and on Saturdays. At this point I've noticed a much higher % of people inside of the banks have a more complicated transaction, there was also a tendency for them to try to sell you more stuff inside the bank.  Plus its a habit now.   Its like online banking, why bank online why not get your check and take it too the bank (its easier and there may be less fees)

As far as walking I live in a mid sized city there are still places without sidewalk/pathways plus you could live 2 miles form a bank or a grocery store.  That's not even talking about rural areas or new suburbs where it might be 5 , 10 or even 20 miles.

Hillia

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
Mist ATMs in the US charge a fee of $2-3 if it is not your bank.  ATMs in gas stations and convenience stores are often not affiliated with any bank, so everyone who uses them gets hit with the fee.  Some banks then charge a fee if you do an atm withdrawal at an atm that doesn't belong to that bank, so you could end up paying an extra $5 if you don't use an ATM affiliated with your bank.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
Just a query, how often is I that people are paid by cheque? My old work used to pay by cheque, which got rather annoying as I had to go to the bank to deposits it, they do have ATM deposits but I couldn't always count on them getting it that day.

Most people when I queued up to the bank were business customers with the days takings.

Library Dragon

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
I only use the drive thru pharmacy if I or someone else was ill.  Not dragging sick kids into the pharmacy I presumed was considerate of others.  Otherwise I go inside. 

The bank branch that is most convenient only has a drive thru and ATM.  No parking lot, no public lobby.  The main branch is on the city square and rarely has parking anywhere near it.  I'd have to park on the street near the drive thru branch. 

My neighborhood has no sidewalks and the main road has none for a few miles in either direction of my street.  When DSs wanted to walk to a store I made them call me so I knew they made it and were literally not in the ditch.  We also have no public transportation.  There's not even a taxi cab company.  This is common throughout the county.  People drive in 20-30 miles once a week and do all their errands.  They have to go into the grocery store, library, etc., so I think a few drive thrus are welcome.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I use my credit unions drive through all the time.  the same tellers handle the lobby customers as the drive up customers.  So If I have to wait, I'd rather do it in my car, where I can listen to music and read a book while waiting. 

I use the drive up pharmacy for dropping off and picking up only.  So I will drop off a prescription and leave.  Or pick up a prescription and leave. I don't drop off and wait for them to fill the prescription.

I live in a large city and surrounding metro area.  Most places pay by direct deposit, but there may be a bit of a waiting period before it kicks in.  Not sure about more rural areas.  If I do have to deposit a check, my bank will give you the first $100, but the rest of the money has to wait for the holding period before funds are available. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
From my UK viewpoint, drive thru establishments that aren't fast food are definitely... odd, and like it or not, on the surface they do conjure up an image of "what, people can't be bothered to get out of the car?" whereas I'm sure if you dig deeper there are logistical reasons for it.

However, in thinking about it, American towns don't seem to be set up the same way ours are (I'm not even sure what the average town or city centre is like there - I have images of everywhere having strip malls and no town centre to speak of). We have banks on every high street and shopping centre so it's easy to pop in while you're in town. There aren't the same amount of local banks that you guys have - they're pretty much all high street chains. The banking system also seems quite different - we tend to have our wages deposited automatically and pay everything by direct debit, while the US banking system seems to lag behind in that respect with some people still having to deposit a paycheque and write cheques to pay their bills. So, I can see there's more need to 'go to the bank', whereas here, well - I can't remember the last time I even had to set foot in one. Everything's done automatically and I keep an eye on it with my online banking.

I can see the value of a drive through pharmacy - I hadn't thought about the sick kids, but that's a really good point.

The only drive throughs I've ever seen here are McD's, BK and KFC.

I think the majority of people with regular jobs and bank accounts use direct deposit for their pay checks. But there is a portion of our society that are not wiling or can't open a checking account and their only pay solution is cash or check. Using auto pay is a personal thing. We use it for monthly standard payments, use online banking for bills that vary by month, and right a check for those once in a blue moon instances. My DH and I probably write less than 2 checks per month and most of those are to school for some fundraiser or sending a check as a gift.

I'm trying to think of the type of drive thrus I use. I normally use a drive thru ATM for cash withdrawals or deposits, drive thru fast food, drive thru pharmacy is I'm feeling like crap and don't want to expose my germs to others. Oh, and my dry cleaner offers drive thru, so on the way home from work, you go to their drive thru and they bring the clothes out to you. They don't have a lot of parking where they are, so drive thru works better for them.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
Most checks I get aren't paychecks. I might pick up something for my sisyer and she pays me with a check, that kind of thing.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
Another Aussie here who's often wondered about the reasons behind the popularity of drive thrus in the US.

Only local fast food drive thrus are maccas and KFC that I can recall. I've used them when I've been in a hurry or doing a long drive. Not sure they're that much quicker though.

There are a couple of drive thru bottle shops attached to hotels but I had to look them up to be sure because I've never used one. Maybe if I lived nearer, it'd be a handy option. I mostly buy alcohol at the supermarket or local grocery store so maybe not.

It doesn't really seem to be about driving to the shops vs walking. Most people I know drive somewhere to shop, park and go inside.

My mother has mobility issues and uses accessible parking. Drive thru might help for her but since she has to get out to grocery shop anyway, not sure it's be that much of a draw.

Where I live in Oz, there are no really long wait times for prescriptions at the pharmacy or to get money from ATMs. Even inside the bank, it's not usually that long a wait. Plus most of the banks or pharmacies I go to are in malls so a drive thru isn't a viable option.

I don't feel too worried about getting out of my car to use most ATMs outside a mall, even late at night. So maybe lower crime rates help there.

Most people I know get paid by directly into their account these days - fewer pay cheques than there used to be.

I expect that if there were more drive thru options here, some people would find them convenient.

Don't see a driving need for them tho. ;)

SiotehCat

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »
I love drive thrus. I try to use them whenever I can. It's mostly fast food places and once every so often at the bank.

Sometimes it's out of laziness. My work is physically exhausting and if my choices are between a non drive thru restaurant or a drive thru one, the drive they will win.

Also, there are times when I want to interact with as few people as possible.

My grocery store had this thing where you can place your order online and go to their "drive thru" to pick it up. Never having to get out of your car. I've never used it before, but I would love to try.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »
Having lived in Central Perth, it is a big difference to living where I do in Texas. I live in what is now considered close in to the city, but when it was built in the 1960s it was the outer suburbs. I walk to the elementary school. I walk to the neighborhood park, and I walk to a few friends homes in the neighborhood. But other than that, I drive every where. There are not stores or restaurants within a mile (1.6 kilometers). So if I'm going to a farmers market and I know they prefer cash, I'll drive by the drive thru ATM on my way to driving to the farmers market. US people in less car centric. I ties like NYC or Chicago probably do more walking and less drive thrus. But even where I live, I probably do less than one a week.