Author Topic: Non-fast food drive thrus  (Read 13255 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Non-fast food drive thrus
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
Regarding sidewalks--there was a neighborhood near mine (which did have sidewalks) that was very similar, just a tad bit more upscale and maybe 1-2 years older or newer, I don't recall which, but both were built up primarily in the '70s and '80s, and it intentionally was built without sidewalks.

It had something to do with privacy rights, I think, and people not wanting others to walk on their lawns. The streets are supposedly safe enough to walk on, but I say bah humbug to that. They're just discouraging to walkers of all kinds.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
In my neighborhood in TX, there are sidewalks on both sides of the street and a public library 0.85 miles away (heaven).  But, I think I only walked there 2 or 3 times when DD was a baby.  The residential area walking was just fine.  But outside the residential it got a little scary.  There was a major intersection to get through and curbs everywhere which didn't work with the stroller (pram). 

I remember my aunt in Minnesota saying that sidewalks lowered the value of the house because you were expected to keep it free of snow. 

perpetua

« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
There was a news story about sidewalks in a neighborhood near us not being used, people being forced to walk in the street because the sidewalk isn't maintained by property owners.

There is overgrown grass and weeds in the summer and ice and snow in the winter. People feel the road is safer if they need to walk somewhere. Some of those properties are abandoned so the is nobody to care for that section.

In other areas there might not be community support for the cost of sidewalks. There night be other things preventing them as well.

This concept is so alien to me. Here, pavements are maintained by the local council.

Hillia

« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
When we lived in Denver, city code required that homeowners cleared the snow in front of their homes within 24 hours.  My rental on the corner lot, which looked great in the summer, became a major PITA in winter because I had twice as much shoveling to do.  I don't know if they actually cited people for it; I was always very careful to clear the snow immediately because our street bordered a bus route, and there were lots of people walking to the bus stops.  (Many of them showed their appreciation for a clear, dry sidewalk by throwing bottles, fast food trash, and dirty diapers into my front yard, but that's a whole other story).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cwm

« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
I grew up on a horseshoe street. Basically the block just had two streets that actually left it, everything else is enclosed.

--------------|---
 |                  |
 |                  |
 |                  |
 |                  |
  --------------|---

Kinda like that, where the top and bottom streets go through on the right, and the right street goes through, but nothing else does. We had sidewalks on the left street and the top street, but not the bottom. The sidewalk on the top street went down another block to the main street it connected to, and the right street got a sidewalk about half a block down from this, but it only went half a block to the next main street. But unless you're on a major street in my neighborhood, you don't need a sidewalk. I grew up playing in the street, riding my bike along the streets, walking through the streets to get to the park a few more blocks away. It's such a residential area that drivers know to watch out for people. It's how my city is, if you're not on a major street and there's no sidewalk (or if there is, but it's horribly maintaned and not safe), everyone will be in the street.

Betelnut

« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
I live in Southern Maryland.  Sidewalks are very hit or miss.  Usually within a development there are sidewalks but to get out of the development you have to walk on busy roads or the in the grass by the busy roads.  I hate it!  We still go to the store by walking but scurry across the busy road to the side where there is a sidewalk for part of the walk.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »
We have sidewalks just about everywhere out here. I mean in less you're way way out of the city, or there's construction that requires "shutting down" the sidewalk. The idea of a housing development just not having a side walk is so odd to me. And we have more drivers then pedestrians for sure, our cities aren't really set up to be able to walk around them.

Sidewalks are also maintained by the city. Or maybe county...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #217 on: October 18, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
There was a news story about sidewalks in a neighborhood near us not being used, people being forced to walk in the street because the sidewalk isn't maintained by property owners.

There is overgrown grass and weeds in the summer and ice and snow in the winter. People feel the road is safer if they need to walk somewhere. Some of those properties are abandoned so the is nobody to care for that section.

In other areas there might not be community support for the cost of sidewalks. There night be other things preventing them as well.

This concept is so alien to me. Here, pavements are maintained by the local council.

Same here, but there's usually no snow to clear.

In finding out a lot if fascinating differences in this thread.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #218 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
I am fascinated by the notion that some places don't have any footpaths. It's very unusual here (Perth, Western Australia) to not have a footpath on at least one side of the road. I'm wondering if mums in these areas don't go for walks with their babies in prams/strollers? Having taken my little one for a walk this morning in our surrounding streets and seen at least a half dozen other mums with prams it has me wondering.

My town has sidewalks only on the very busiest streets, no neighborhoods have sidewalks. We still take our babies for walks, we walk our dogs, run, and do all the same things everyone with sidewalks do, we just do it on the edge of the street.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »
Where I grew up, we were a minimum ten minute drive from just about everything save church and the combination canoe rental/ice cream place on the river. The only people walking were my parents after dinner with the dog.  :P We lived a bit out of town though.

Where I live now, I can walk to a few places safely, but not everywhere. The town is a bit of an oddity, because on one hand, we have parts that were developed early in the country's history, so there's a downtown with stone buildings, brick walks and lots of fancy homes within walking distance, but there are also arms of road that lead to sprawl, where you have nice subdivisions, but no sidewalks or way to safely cross the street to get to the walmart/bbq joint/bank/what have you that's across the way. So, I can walk to the bank branch that's on main street from my work (a hike, but definitely possible) but there's no way I'd do anything but drive to the one that's by the movie theater, since it would mean crossing five lanes of traffic with no crosswalk or sidewalk.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning