Author Topic: No kids allowed  (Read 7922 times)

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
Re: No kids allowed
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »
We received a handwritten invite to an Octoberfest party this Sat.  It simply said "adults only, please" at the bottom.  Pretty clear and I am curious to see if all the guests can read.

Parents who bring their kids to a brew-fest?

Utter idiots.

Have 911 on speed-dial.

Oddly enough some of us who love good beer also control our intake to stay in control of ourselves around others. An Oktoberfest party is not necessarily a drunken idiot fest

^This!
Plenty of people take their kids to beer events, because plenty of people can enjoy several beers spread out over several hours and enjoyed with food without getting rip roaring drunk and can still easily manage their children while modeling healthy and safe drinking habits.
People should not bring children to events billed as "adult" but billing something as "Octoberfest" does not equal "adult".

Also, I don't think calling people "idiots" because you don't agree with ther parenting is very polite.

Agreed. I went to many alcohol fueled party/events with my parents when I was a kid and I lived to tell the tale as did all the other children. Not once was there a 911 worthy incident. People don't lose all semblance of sense and responsibility just because they indulge in an adult beverage or three.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
I'm glad the issue is resolved although it is too bad your friends can't make it.  If I had read this thread before your update I would have suggested not inviting them at all.  If they bring their kids everywhere then they should not expect to be invited to everything.

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
I'm glad the issue is resolved although it is too bad your friends can't make it.  If I had read this thread before your update I would have suggested not inviting them at all.  If they bring their kids everywhere then they should not expect to be invited to everything.

I went back and reread the OP just to be certain and it wasn't mentioned that they bring they kids everywhere even when told specifically that it's an adults only event. I know a good number of people who bring their kids "everywhere" as in places you wouldn't expect to see little kids but they don't ignore the request to leave their kids at home when they are specifically excluded.

Some people looooooove being with their kids at all times but still know how to follow etiquette and wouldn't be so rude as to ignore an adults only request. I don't think it's fair to exclude them on the presumption that they will be rude.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
The only beer fest I've attended had some parents there who got smashed, and the cops had to be called. I left when the cops showed up, but a friend who stayed who knew the family said that CPS had to come pick up the kids. It was a debacle.

ETA: Yes, my experience is limited.

So, at the one and only beer fest you've attended, you once witnessed *some* (not all, or even the majority) parents get drunk and CPS had to be called, and based on that *one* isolated incident, you're branding all parents who take their kids to Oktoberfest as "utter idiots" and advocating having 911 on speed dial?

That seems hugely unwarranted and unfair.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

SlitherHiss

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:40 PM »
We received a handwritten invite to an Octoberfest party this Sat.  It simply said "adults only, please" at the bottom.  Pretty clear and I am curious to see if all the guests can read.

Utter idiots.

Have 911 on speed-dial.

Well that's super judgemental. A lot of Oktoberfest parties/activities are very family-friendly. I've been to several where kids were very welcome and specifically invited! The one SCAJAfamily was invited to just happens not to be.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 01:04:17 PM »
The only beer fest I've attended had some parents there who got smashed, and the cops had to be called. I left when the cops showed up, but a friend who stayed who knew the family said that CPS had to come pick up the kids. It was a debacle.

So, at the one and only beer fest you've attended, you once witnessed *some* (not all, or even the majority) parents get drunk and CPS had to be called, and based on that *one* isolated incident, you're branding all parents who take their kids to Oktoberfest as "utter idiots" and advocating having 911 on speed dial?

This. That's totally OTT. The Oktoberfests I've seen have been focused on food, music, dancing, other culture-y stuff, and yes, beer, but not just beer and not to a ridiculous extent. Here's a link to one near where I lived for a long time:

http://www.visithermann.com/special_events/octoberfest.htm

Obviously, an adults only event is an adults only event, but an Oktoberfest in general is not automatically inappropriate for kids. It can be more like going to the state fair or Ren Fest.

menley

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
I went to Oktoberfest in Munich last year (and am going back this year!) and saw a number of parents bringing their children of all ages, from infant to teenager. None of the ones I saw were behaving inappropriately, despite the craziness around them.

blueyzca01

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »

This. That's totally OTT. The Oktoberfests I've seen have been focused on food, music, dancing, other culture-y stuff, and yes, beer, but not just beer and not to a ridiculous extent. Here's a link to one near where I lived for a long time:

Obviously, an adults only event is an adults only event, but an Oktoberfest in general is not automatically inappropriate for kids. It can be more like going to the state fair or Ren Fest.

Don't worry LeeveeWoman, not everyone agrees.  You're allowed to have your opinion.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »

Don't worry LeeveeWoman, not everyone agrees.  You're allowed to have your opinion.

Of course she is. And others are allowed to disagree with it. We wouldn't have any forums at all if everyone agreed on everything.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2013, 01:23:53 PM »

Utter idiots.

Have 911 on speed-dial.
I think you might have the wrong impression of an Octoberfest Party.  It is NOT a brew fest. Yes, beer is a big part of it but it is traditional a wedding festival. We hosted several Octoberfest parties that were very family focused. When even had a bounce house for the kids and had silly traditional german games. Yes we served German beer on tap and some german wines, but we also had german food, Bavarian decorations, amd german music.

A Brewfestival is something entirely different.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »
I agree that Oktoberfest can be family friendly. It sounds like this was an invite to a private ebent, not the public one, and the private event was specified as adult only so it doesn't sound kid inclusive.

EllenS

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
In high school, I babysat for pocket money.  Two of my neighbors were great friends and always socialized together.  They would have me babysit both kids in one house.  I loved it because each couple paid me the going rate, so my pay was doubled, and the kids were no trouble because they played well together.

Would asking to her to share a babysitter work for everyone? It would be very clear this is a child-free evening and she couldn't use the excuse of having no one to watch her children.

I know your situation is resolved now, but this is a great option to keep in mind next time.  We have done this with some friends, and depending on the age of the kids it can actually make it easier on the sitter because the kids entertain each other.  It was awesome not having to compete for the good sitters, and also saved us some money because sitters often charge a base rate and then add on for the additional children. Even if you pay double as in Emma's situation, it is much more convenient logistically.  If they have 2 kids and you have 1, that is reasonable for most sitters to deal with as long as they know up front.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »

Utter idiots.

Have 911 on speed-dial.

Are you  serious and you don't think that  calling 911 would be an overeation at all
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:39:02 PM by Visiting Crazy Town »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
I think she meant just in case something happened, not just because tjey showed up.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
Our town's Oktoberfest has a petting zoo for kids.

As a parent who takes my child to a local pub on Sunday afternoons I resent the implication that someone should be prepared to call 911 because I dare to have a drink.
93 93/93