Author Topic: No kids allowed  (Read 8031 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: No kids allowed
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »
I think she was talking about the beer gardens.  I've been to many Oktoberfest beer gardens and they were definitely NOT family friendly.

Cami

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »
We received a handwritten invite to an Octoberfest party this Sat.  It simply said "adults only, please" at the bottom.  Pretty clear and I am curious to see if all the guests can read.

Parents who bring their kids to a brew-fest?

Utter idiots.

Have 911 on speed-dial.

Oddly enough some of us who love good beer also control our intake to stay in control of ourselves around others. An Oktoberfest party is not necessarily a drunken idiot fest

^This!
Plenty of people take their kids to beer events, because plenty of people can enjoy several beers spread out over several hours and enjoyed with food without getting rip roaring drunk and can still easily manage their children while modeling healthy and safe drinking habits.
People should not bring children to events billed as "adult" but billing something as "Octoberfest" does not equal "adult".
I think it really depends upon the prevailing cultural attitudes of the locality towards drinking. Around here, Octoberfest does most certainly equal adult and I would never bring my child to one.

Alpacas

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
We received a handwritten invite to an Octoberfest party this Sat.  It simply said "adults only, please" at the bottom.  Pretty clear and I am curious to see if all the guests can read.

Utter idiots.

Have 911 on speed-dial.
As a native Bavarian and someone thats calls Munich her home i can say that i agree to an extend.

Parents that bring their children into the Beer-Tents are irresponsible. Even as an adult the volium of the Music hurts my ears and the people inside are usually not of the quiet sort. Luckily the Bouncers and Security are adivised to send parents with babies and toddlers back out...at least in some tents.

The Oktoberfest (the original and not some some of the copies that really just focus on drinking ) in general is an all family ocassion with rides for children and adults alike. Candy and stuffed toys, sausages in a bun and prezels....and now i'm hungry  ;D

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2013, 06:06:18 PM »
I think the case where being prepared to call 911 was in the case of parents bringing kids to a party that had been designated as adult only. The poster did not suggest calling 911 because somebody had a drink.

Curious Cat

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
I think the case where being prepared to call 911 was in the case of parents bringing kids to a party that had been designated as adult only. The poster did not suggest calling 911 because somebody had a drink.

How does that make it any more reasonable? I'm fairly certain the cops would laugh me out of town if I called them saying that an invited guest had brought their uninvited child and I wanted to *cops* to take care of it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »
That isn't what she suhgedted either. She suggested having it programmed bevause people bringinging kids to a specifically adult party might then show further poor judgement and behave so nadly an emergency call would be needrd. She did not suggest calling when they arrived.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »
Sharnita, I'm not sure why you are definding her so much.

She insulted a many of us who have hosted or taken kids to a Octoberfest parties by calling us idiots.

In this last post of yours, you state what she really meant was anyone who took a child to an "adult only" party would most likely need the police called at some point because they obviously are idiots bent on accessive drinking and poor actions that police or medical assistance would be needed. And that the liklihood was so strong 911 needs to be programmed in to a phone for immediate access.  This is still an insult to anyone who ever made a mistake and assumed a family bday party was "for the family" and took a child by mistake.

Honestly, I think LeeVee Woman put her foot in her mouth and the issue should just be dropped by everyone.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
The quote I saw mentioned an invitation that explicitly said"adults only". My undrrstanding is that she feels that is pretty clear. Are you saying she is wrong about such an invite? Would you teally look at that phrase and think that it might be open to kids?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
The quote I saw mentioned an invitation that explicitly said"adults only". My undrrstanding is that she feels that is pretty clear. Are you saying she is wrong about such an invite? Would you teally look at that phrase and think that it might be open to kids?

No, Sharnita. Nobody is saying that, and in fact several of us have said that because the invitation says adults only, the event is, therefore, adults only. We're discussing the concept of Oktoberfest in general and whether there are family-friendly Oktoberfests, which do exist as some of us have seen. Not this particular case from the invitation.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »

Utter idiots.

Have 911 on speed-dial.
She was responding to a circumstance where the invite indicated an adult event. I assume those specific circumstances are what inspired her specific comment.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »

What I was saying was that her statement that 911 should be on stand by just because someone took a child to an adults only event was wrong.

And what she really said was any one who took a child to a beer fest was an idiot. She didn't say anyone who took a child to an adults only beer brawling fest was an idiot. And most of us was point out that the invite was not for a beer fest anyway, it was for an Octoberfest party which can (and in my experience in the US and Munich) is a very family oriented activity.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »
Well, yes, they can be but the invite in this case explicitly stated it wasn't for the whole family.

DavidH

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 07:23:29 PM »
There is a huge gap between saying it's rude, bad form, etc to bring your kids to an event where the invitation says Adults Only (which I think most of not all of us agree on) and stating, "Parents who bring their kids to a brew-fest? Utter idiots." Adding "Have 911 on speed-dial." is way over the top.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
I'll let you know after Sat is anyone brings kids.  Our next door neighbors are hosting so I expect to see my kids take a peak over the fence from our tree house.  That is the closest they'll get.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 21, ds C 14, ds A 11, dh J and myself dw A

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »

I've been to the official Octoberfest in Munich. There were prominent signs saying that children under 16 had to be accompanied by an adult. And yes, there were kids there - we were there during day and sat next to a nice family who had their two little girls with them, who were happily clapping along with the music.