Author Topic: How do I accomodate a toddler?  (Read 2905 times)

crella

Re: How do I accomodate a toddler?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »
It sounds like you're really prepared!  Before I got a high chair for my granddaughter I didn't have one in the house, but I have had some success using a medium-sized decorative cushion (that would be stable on the seat of a dining room chair) wrapped in a towel as a booster. It doesn't work if they are really tiny, though. I second the juice glass suggestion, my GD is 2 now and it's just the right size to get her little hands around. A mug, if it's a bit heavy, tips right over and dumps out if she picks it up by the handle. She doesn't think to support the other side, but instead tries to lift the whole thing with one hand.

My son and DIL bring a lot of things with them, her favorite stuffed toy, baby snacks (little crackers and things), a favorite book, these parents probably will bring some things along too.

You'll have fun. Despite this age being called the 'terrible twos' they can be quite funny.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:50 PM »
I think I'd call the parents - kids can vary widely in their eating skills/habits at that age.

I have two nephews of about 2 years of age. One has beautiful table manners - he eats neatly, uses utensils, can be trusted with real dishes, and eats whatever the adults eat, and is regularly taken to restaurants with little incident. The other eats with his fingers, gets his own special meals (and is quite picky), regularly throws food on the floor, and by the end of the meal the kid, the booster seat, the chair and the floor need to be sponged down thoroughly. Eating in a restaurant is an ordeal for all concerned.

EllenS

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 10:40:17 PM »

You'll have fun. Despite this age being called the 'terrible twos' they can be quite funny.

I actually call them the "terrific twos" because I love to see their personality come out, and they are curious and interested in everything.  I think 18-24 months, and 36-48 months are much harder than the true two year old.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 11:45:51 PM »
I would imagine that the parents would either bring their own booster seat, or figure their child can sit on a regular chair.  We use booster seats at home, but my newly-3-year-old can sit in a regular chair in a pinch, so I don't usually bring the booster seats when we go out or to somebody's house.  I would probably have brought one when she was a very young 2-year-old, though, so I'd say that would depend on the child's abilities. 

I absolutely wouldn't recommend that you go to the effort to buy plastic dishes or toys.  I think that most parents would probably bring a few toys with them.  However, I do like the suggestion to put a few things along the lines of a spatula, a wooden spoon, some plastic storage containers, etc. into a little bin for him/her to play with.  Toddlers will often finish eating before adults, and that way he/she has something to play with, if the parents didn't bring toys, while the adults talk.  You certainly don't need to do anything like that, and I think most parents would bring toys along, but it's a fairly simple idea to have ready just in case.  If the parents bring toys, you don't even have to put the bin out.

I think it's not a bad idea to have a paper plate and plastic silverware ready, if you have some, just in case the parents don't bring dishes.  But if you don't have those, I'd wait and see what they bring.  If they bring nothing, and you don't have any plastics, consider letting the child use a napkin or paper towel (or a few) as a plate.  At that age, using the hands to eat is no big deal, and you can offer a spoon just in case.  If they didn't bring a cup and all you have is glass, consider letting the child use a mug (has a handle) that maybe isn't a special favorite.  Or even something like a shotglass, which is thicker glass for its size, so less likely to bring if dropped.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »
My granddaughter is 27 months old. I do keep on hand disposable sippy cups and paper plates and bowls. She eats fine with a smaller fork (salad/dessert size) and a spoon. As far as toys go, she has plenty here, but prefers to play with plastic (Tupperware) type bowls and cooking spoons. Another favorite is I unplug my landline cordless phone, and she loves pushing the buttons. (her parents only have cell phones, so this is amazing to her).

As far as chairs go, a big pillow on a regular chair with a belt or tie will work fine.

Maude

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 04:13:15 AM »
When you phone the parents,include in your list... 

THE BLANKIE/SNUGGY/ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE

A two year old will probably settle quite happily,allowing the
BIG PEOPLE some  time for chatting.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 06:04:39 AM »

P.S. What Luci45 said . . . absolutely no need to buy a bunch of toys for one kid, but something to think about for future entertaining. A simple coloring book and small box of crayons. Colorful plastic plates & small cups. These things are all available at the Dollar Store. Cheap and easily stored for "just in case" occasions like this . . . just a thought.

That is exactly what I meant!

Margo

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 07:48:54 AM »
I wouldn't expect you yo buy anything, and your menu sounds great.

In my experience, parents generally bring their own cup / plate if their child is not able to handle a 'normal' one - they know you well enough hat you're inviting them todinner so they know you sdon;t have small children of your own.

When I have had families visit I've offered he parents option when I'm serving food (e.g  "would little Doofus be best with this bowl or this plate" (both being the 2nd best china so I wouldn't be heart broken if it wound up on the floor in pieces)

If you're worried, call them and just let them know that you;re looking forward to seeing them all but that you don;t have a booster seat or plastic /child sized crocks so do feel free to bring them if needed.

I've found that small children will often be extra careful and behave well if they have a 'grown up' cup or plate when they are not used to it, and parents are (mostly) extra vigilent when it's someone else house , too.

cwm

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »
Sproglet, my niece, will be 2 in December. She's already eating whatever Sis has for dinner (beef stew, lasagna, baked chicken, pizza, tacos, etc.), but she's still working on a plate and silverware. I'd call the parents and let them know what you're planning (especially the menu, the kid may like all the "adult extras" you put in the mac & cheese) and what you do and don't have. Ask if there's anything in particular the kid really loves. Sproglet, for example, absolutely goes nuts over veggie sticks. Sis can't take her out in public without them, as they're great to calm her when she starts to have a meltdown.

Another thing to think about if you've never had a kid. Do you have outlet covers? Kids can and will get into anything, and any uncovered outlet could be a problem. If you don't have any exposed outlets, it shouldn't be a problem, but take a look again throughout your place. If you're feeling up to it, lay down and crawl along the floor to get a different perspective of things to see what the kid might possibly find.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 01:16:42 PM »
Late to the party, but just in case someone is reading this for hints later:

It's perfectly fine (and is in fact welcoming, which was your goal) to reach out to whichever parent and say, "Do you have a booster seat? How does it fasten?"

And if there's any possibility that you'll ever have younger people over again, I also might suggest having a single unbreakable plate and cup setup. Paper plates are OK, but they're insubstantial, and as a hostess I personally wouldn't consider them to be welcoming enough to meet *my* standards.

Ditto plastic forks & spoons--but honestly, children of *every* age can safely use real forks and spoons (plastic forks can be sharper and stabbier, honestly).

Also, every 2yo is different--some of them do just fine with ordinary plates.

I wouldn't bother with outlet covers for a visiting child--I'd predict that we *all* would be more attuned to the child enough that we'd know she was getting close to an outlet while *also* in possession of something to stick in it. It's when kids are left to their own devices because adults are distracted that this is a problem.