Author Topic: Cookies/biscuits to send a friend  (Read 689 times)

Psychopoesie

Cookies/biscuits to send a friend
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:18:55 AM »
A friend hasn't been feeling well lately and i'd like to send her a small care package of cookies/biscuits/shortbread  through the post (it'll take a a few days to get there).

I don't tend to make biscuits/cookies that often and when i do they tend to have chocolate chips & peanut butter - may be a bit too rich for my friend just now. Thinking of trying to make something with lavender in it or maybe ginger.

I wondered if any Ehellions had any tried and true recipe suggestions that would handle the travel well and might appeal to someone who's been feeling a bit off colour.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Cookies/biscuits to send a friend
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
Madelines are a yummy light cookie.  They can be flavored with almost anything.  Shortbread may be a good idea, but they may crumble in the post

mandycorn

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
My mom always had good luck mailing chocolate chip cookies to her brother when he was stationed in Germany (she's in the US), but that was more about the packaging than the type of cookie. She stacked them into cylinders, wrapped them in plastic wrap, and then wrapped them in tin foil. She'd stand those up the middle of the box and then fill around them with either plain popcorn or crumpled newspaper, depending on what was available. The cylindrical shape kept most of the cookies from breaking, since they all sort of cushioned each other.

I think a sugar cookie flavored with lavender sounds really nice, and should be firm enough to ship well.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

BigBadBetty

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
My mom used to send these when I was in college. They stayed whole for the most part. However, I would have been happy to crumbs, too. They contain ginger so I thought I would share. They are a family favorite. It is important for texture to use both butter and shortening. I recommend using a stand mixer if you don't have well-developed upper body strength.

Soft Molasses Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus sugar for garnish
1/2 cup dark molasses
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In large mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening until well mixed, 1 to 2 minutes. Add sugar and beat until light colored and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in molasses and eggs until smooth; set aside.
  • In another large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Gradually mix dry ingredients into creamed mixture until dough is blended and smooth.
  • Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls. Dip tops in sugar. Place 2 1/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.
  • Bake in preheated oven for about 11 minutes. Do not overbake or cookies will lose their chewy interior. Remove from sheets to wire rack to cool completely. Store in tightly-covered container.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:24:14 PM »
I love these Lemon Thyme Ginger cookies and they get better after a couple of days. They are not too rich either.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-Lemon-Thyme-Crisps-14225

Promise

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
Biscotti travels well and it's hard. Any internet recipe should work. Also, Scottish shortbread.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
Thanks for the packing suggestion and for sharing recipe ideas.  :)

Everything sounds so yummy I may have to have a baking extravaganza and send a variety pack (with lots of tempting leftovers to sample and share). Always wanted an excuse to get a madeleine mould too.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:02:49 PM »
Thanks for the packing suggestion and for sharing recipe ideas.  :)

Everything sounds so yummy I may have to have a baking extravaganza and send a variety pack (with lots of tempting leftovers to sample and share). Always wanted an excuse to get a madeleine mould too.

Every kitchen should have a madeline mold.  I'm happy to be of service

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 05:57:42 AM »
Btw have been baking cookies this evening.

Had a go at the soft molasses one & they've turned out really well (tho I'm still waiting for a batch to cool down all the way).

Also did a wholemeal lavender and honey cookie, with lemon. Managed to stuff up a couple of the ingredients but it worked out ok & has a nice subtle flavour that will probably be great for someone who's feeling a bit off her tucker just now.

Still determined to try madeleines - couldn't find a mould today. & those lemon thyme ones (prepared to buy a plant, they sound so good).

Thanks again. Will post pics once I can figure out how.  :)