Author Topic: Cancun  (Read 923 times)

Phoebelion

Cancun
« on: September 26, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »
DS and DDIL are going to Cancun in the spring for their 10th anniversary.

No - DH and I are not invited:)  We get to grandpooch sit.  Hmm - 4 dogs over 60#'s each.  What have I gotten myself into?

Anyway, we would like to gift them (either money to do something interesting  they would enjoy but know the budget will fall short), or actually prepay for something (after I get nosy of course). 

I did a search and found the swimming with the dolphins (very mixed reviews), archaeological sites (neither of them are into that sort of thing), restaurants (DIL is NOT adventuresome concerning food). 

Suggestions are needed.  Thanks.

z_squared82

Re: Cancun
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Are they staying at an all-inclusive resort?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
Honestly, not going to the archeology sites in the Yucatan is such a shame. Would they not at least want to do Tulum? It's quite small, and there's a lovely beach below the cliff that would be wonderful for sunbathing.

Our group also had a great day by renting a water taxi that took us across to the island, and allowed us to go snorkling at various spots, as well as checking out the Sea Turtle Rescue, and having lunch and drinks. It wasn't too expensive for an all day tour. However, we did rent it on the spot, so I'm not sure how to go about arranging it from outside Cancun. Maybe the hotel could help arrange something?

Have they said what they want to do while they're there? It sounds like they're not into a lot of things you go to Cancun to do. If it's primarily "lie on the beach and relax," perhaps you could get them some nice beach towels and things to go with that?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Phoebelion

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
They just mentioned that they had booked the trip last Sunday.  Didn't get any info because they weren't busy playing/spoiling our new dog.

DS holds everything close.  I'll bring it up to DDIL - she'll spill:)

I really wish they were more into archaeological sites.  Snorkeling sounds good. I'll gently ask questions about that.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
If you know what the resort or hotel they are staying at, it may have excursion or other options on its website.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

z_squared82

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
If you know what the resort or hotel they are staying at, it may have excursion or other options on its website.

This. Also, a lot of resorts have spas, and those services are extra, if they want a massage or something.

The only excursion I did when my friends and I went to Cancun last summer was to a Mayan temple. Very glad I went, but it made me realize how spoiled I am as an American with our national parks and historical sites. I dislike being on a tour and being accosted to buy knick-knacks at the same time.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »
http://www.xcaret.com/

Tubing in underground canyons/caves! They have a ton of stuff there that you cand do besides that, but I like tubing. Laziest sport ever  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
I went with a bunch of friends and we talked about all the fun and exciting things we would do.  But ended up just hanging around the pool/beach, eating, and shopping most of the time ;D.  Although we did go to a spa once and also took a submarine tour.  So I think the safest thing is money so they can pay for an interesting activity if they run across one.  Most hotels have advertisements or sign-up booths.

A bit of advice and they may already know this, but please warn them not to pay for any tour packages after landing at the airport.  Those are most likely scams.

Phoebelion

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »
Buying a tour package is totally out of DS's character but I will warn him anyway.

Personally, I'd do the tubing - sounds like my kind of thing.

I'll pick DDIL's brain to see what they're planning at this point.

ebelie

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
For our wedding some friends gave us money to spend on our honeymoon, specifically to buy something (anything) we couldn't otherwise afford. 

We spent it on a night at a very fancy hotel.  It was wonderful.

Probably because of that experience, these days when we travel we will spend the majority of our time in budget accommodation and then upgrade to luxury accom for the last couple of nights. 

Another option would be a dinner at a very fancy restaurant.  I know you said DIL isn't food-adventurous, but a meal at a fancy restaurant is about more than just the food, it's the atmosphere.  We did that when we were in New York due to another gift.  It was ten years' ago now, but I still remember it because it was something we wouldn't have done otherwise.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
If you think they enjoy snorkeling, there is a town about an hour south of Cancun called Akumal were you can snorkel around a ton of sea turtles. Maybe pay for a rentL car for a day and lunch beachside.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 08:05:37 PM »

Tubing in underground canyons/caves! They have a ton of stuff there that you cand do besides that, but I like tubing. Laziest sport ever  ;D

I'll second this, except I swam the underground river (1.25 mi.) and took a nice nap on a beautiful beach afterwards  ;).  Plus one of the activities is swimming with the dolphins. 

bloo

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 08:00:47 AM »

Just stumbling on this thread now.  But DH and I did Xcaret in  2000 as an excursion on a cruise we took.  No kids with us but they would have had a blast.  We left from Playa del Carmen and tickets at the time we're $45.00 or so.  Now I see they're over $80.00, but I believe it's worth every penny.  The animals,  shows,  snorkeling were nothing short of fantastic and I would go back in a new York minute if I could.