Author Topic: It's not that we don't like kids...it was your kids specifically.  (Read 8791 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: It's not that we don't like kids...it was your kids specifically.
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
I see no rudeness by you, but the giggling/smiling after the moms walked outside might have *looked* bad from their perspective. I'm not saying it was, just how it probably looked to them. 

I'm not disagreeing with this statement, but I think it was good for the disgruntled moms to see a happy waiting room after they left. They should find it hard to hold the belief that they are 'normal' and one mean mom made them go away. They should have to see that they were in the minority and that the waiting room was full of people who were happier without their chaos.

Except the impression they likely got was more of a room full of a clique/mean girls group than, a realization that: oh all those people are grateful for the quiet.

If Noisy Mom immediately jumps to the conclusion that the other moms are mean that says a lot more about her then anyone else.

I agree.  I also think that had Noisy Mom not subjected everyone to a flounce, it's likely there would have been no laughter/smiles.  Had she just acknowledged that the noise level was inappropriate and left, I'm betting everyone would have just gone on with their business.  Her choice to make a mini-scene led to the incredulous laughter.

It was the comment she made about us hating kids when we are clearly mothers waiting for their "hated" kids.  ::)   Plus dd hadn't intended to make the room laugh, she was just looking at me and giggling like, was that for real, seriously?

EllenS

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
I see no rudeness by you, but the giggling/smiling after the moms walked outside might have *looked* bad from their perspective. I'm not saying it was, just how it probably looked to them. 

I'm not disagreeing with this statement, but I think it was good for the disgruntled moms to see a happy waiting room after they left. They should find it hard to hold the belief that they are 'normal' and one mean mom made them go away. They should have to see that they were in the minority and that the waiting room was full of people who were happier without their chaos.

Except the impression they likely got was more of a room full of a clique/mean girls group than, a realization that: oh all those people are grateful for the quiet.

If Noisy Mom immediately jumps to the conclusion that the other moms are mean that says a lot more about her then anyone else.

I agree.  I also think that had Noisy Mom not subjected everyone to a flounce, it's likely there would have been no laughter/smiles.  Had she just acknowledged that the noise level was inappropriate and left, I'm betting everyone would have just gone on with their business.  Her choice to make a mini-scene led to the incredulous laughter.

Exactly.  Children acquire situational awareness at different rates.  Just as there is a big difference between someone who is obviously teaching their child manners, vs. one who lets them run all over; there is a big difference between an attitude of "oops, sorry I misread the situation, didn't mean to disturb others" vs. "you people are just being mean".

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
I bet that mother meets lots of child-haters. 

I remember that the first clue we had that maybe Grandpa shouldn't drive anymore was when he started to complain about how rude the drivers in our area were because "They were always honking".  I remember my dad and I looked at each other because no one ever honked at us.