Author Topic: Short changed at a restaurant  (Read 17183 times)

White Lotus

Re: Short changed at a restaurant
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
This happened TWICE in TWO DIFFERENT restaurants, in DIFFERENT CITIES.  I fail to see how this could be MY fault in any way.  I just didn't get my change.  The first time I did ask for my actual change. And the server made kind of a little stink about it, and my companion said, "meh, it's $0.64, what's the big deal?"  Well, taking my money is a big deal to me. It is MY $0.64! However, the fallout was a bigger deal than it should have been, and my companion was not supportive.  I am not talking of penny jars, where I try to keep good karma.  I am talking about failing to give change.  No, nobody "forgot" and it wasn't abnormally busy -- we were after lunch rush.
I think I am going to use cards rather than cash in any venue where that is possible.  I do not like theft, and this is deliberate theft.  "Is it Ok if I round it because it is so busy?"  I would have said sure and expected them to round down even of not arithmetically correct.  To do it without asking is stealing and leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. 
I might just call the manager of yesterday's place.  The food is very good.  The other place I will never go to again, because the food was not so good.

White Lotus

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »
I don't see any way this could be innocent.  In this situation, you are either making change correctly or you are holding back money that does not belong to you, where you is our hypothetical server. 
Thrust a receipt and a bunch of bills into my hand and vanish before I can even see what I have, which is what happened both times, and suddenly it is a huge inconvenience for me to track you, HS, down, demand you give me what you owe me, with no choice but allowing you to take lots of  time and fumble around doing that, while my whole party and I are standing around waiting.  No, not innocent, and no way it could be.  I am supposed to, in HS's mind, forget about it because it "is too little to worry about."  Somehow,  hypothetical server thinks it is Ok to short change people as long as it is coins, because it is too much trouble for the patrons to get their actual money back -- and HS will make that so -- and "they're going to tip anyway."    It isn't.  And I won't, in that circumstance, ever again. 

Amara

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
I'd immediately call the server on it.  No one decides for me that change is a hassle or that I don't have a right to my own money. It is, after all, MY money so hand it over. And after I got it I might or, in resentment, not leave a tip at all, but I would be sure to tell the server why. I would also notify the manager on my way out that I would not be returning to a restaurant where I was not given my proper amount of change unless I demanded it. Theft is theft whatever type of clothes you dress it up in.

Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »
I know people who want the change for parking meters, to do laundry at a coin-operated Laundromat, a soda from the machine at school or work, air up their tires at the corner gas station, get "feminine supplies" from the machine in the ladies room, their "savings program" to roll up all their change for the month & use it for their vacation spending money, or similar things that they plan to do with THEIR change - but don't want to ASK (especially not for the "feminine supplies" thing) for it out loud.  They might have been raised that it was RUDE or they may just not think that it is anyone else's business why they want coins.

Not having the coins can mean having to break a bill at the cash register before heading back to the ladies room - which means everyone in the party KNOWS why they are going back there - it's not just to powder their nose & wash their hands.  Or not having any change to air up their tires, do a load of laundry, etc.  And they know how much change they tend to roll up at the end of a month so they are wondering why THIS month no one is giving them any change!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

flickan

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »
If you want to put forth the effort, you might call and let them know what happened and that it decreases their tips. I wouldn't identify the server, I don't think anybody needs to get in trouble over this but the manager could bring it up with the staff.

I really like this solution!

miranova

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »
I would flag the server down and ask about it.  "Where is the rest of my change?"  I would definitely make her give me an answer.  That is theft, no matter how small the amount.

I'd also probably (if I wasn't pressed for time) talk to the restaurant manager and tell him how much I did not appreciate this tactic. 

As far as her tip goes, that would be it.  After she stole from me, I'd definitely not leave her anything else.

why are you assuming she kept it on purpose?

Unless the bill came out to be an exact dollar amount, even the most math challenged person knows that it will require some coins to return the proper change.  If the server came back with bills but no coins, I don't see any possible way for that to be accidental.  Pizza delivery drivers do this too, and it drive me crazy.  I'm sorry but no.  There are plenty of stores across the world that give coins as change in almost every single transaction.  If they can do it all day long, why should a restaurant be deemed "too busy" to deal with change?  I'm not buying it, it's simply an attempt to keep more money.

miranova

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »
That's a bit of a stretch to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but I guess that could happen, every once in a blue moon.  However, this is becoming a trend, so I don't really buy it.  Plus pizza delivery guys ALWAYS do this, and they don't have a chance to make change and then set it down and forget to bring it to me.  I'm standing right there, and they only give me bills back.

Texas Mom

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 12:01:05 AM »
I've had this happen twice.

One server told me, "I don't deal with coins."

Both times, I asked for the manager, told them I wanted my 37 cents, and to instruct the server that I wasn't leaving my customary 20-25 % tip.

I walked out & never went back.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
That's a bit of a stretch to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but I guess that could happen, every once in a blue moon.  However, this is becoming a trend, so I don't really buy it.  Plus pizza delivery guys ALWAYS do this, and they don't have a chance to make change and then set it down and forget to bring it to me.  I'm standing right there, and they only give me bills back.

Yes, I think sometimes they do it on purpose. But I have waited tables for years and there are some people out there who are convinced that servers are just greedy thieves trying to scam them anyway they can. Everyone makes mistakes at their job.
I assure you that I treat servers right. I am a good tipper. On at least 2 occasions I've been chased into the parking lot because the server thought I had left my change. Both occasions I was having a rotten day, as stress out and boiling because no power at home. The servers were nice and made my day better - so I gave them a really good tip. I rarely tip below 25% sometimes up to 50%.

Three big offences that will lower my tip
Ignoring me Happens every once in a while. Last time I walked up to the server the next section over who saw that I wasn't getting my food or refills and took care of me. I handed her the tip.

Not bringing me all my change and/or asking If I need change back. I remember one time my Mom only had a $50 (pre ATM days my parents didn't put restaurant meals on a credit card unless it was a business meal). Our bill was less than $25. The server asked if she needed change back. Mom told her she didn't normally tip more than 100%. Believe me the owner heard about what happened.

Lying about peanuts/peanut oil or lying about finding out. I love that some restaurants hand me an official document with allergy information.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 02:46:01 AM »
I know people who want the change for parking meters, to do laundry at a coin-operated Laundromat, a soda from the machine at school or work, air up their tires at the corner gas station, get "feminine supplies" from the machine in the ladies room, their "savings program" to roll up all their change for the month & use it for their vacation spending money, or similar things that they plan to do with THEIR change - but don't want to ASK (especially not for the "feminine supplies" thing) for it out loud.  They might have been raised that it was RUDE or they may just not think that it is anyone else's business why they want coins.

Not having the coins can mean having to break a bill at the cash register before heading back to the ladies room - which means everyone in the party KNOWS why they are going back there - it's not just to powder their nose & wash their hands.  Or not having any change to air up their tires, do a load of laundry, etc.  And they know how much change they tend to roll up at the end of a month so they are wondering why THIS month no one is giving them any change!

Exactly. There's lots of reasons why people might need those coins. Not to mention that it's THEIR money!

I agree with flagging the server down (or going up to the counter, if necessary) and saying politely "Excuse me, I am still owed 35 cents (or whatever the amount is)."

Need to Change

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 02:56:49 AM »
I've run into clerks and servers who simply, and honestly, don't know how to make change properly.  It seems to be an increasingly common occurrence.  Therefore, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as to their intentions, but I will point out the error.

Most will make corrections themselves.  Some will need to consult with a supervisor first (... sigh ...).    If they outright refuse, then it's time to have a chat with management.

nayberry

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 07:44:38 AM »
i had this happen once,  i stayed sat at the table until the waitress came back to the table asking if we were ok, i asked for the rest of my change and as she blushed and handed it over, i told her that she would have had a tip but trying to steal from me meant she got nothing.  and then i went to the manager.  she was not happy and i believed her when she said that the waitress would NEVER do that again at that restaurant.

Curious Cat

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »

asking If I need change back.

Every time this has happened to me the server has not looked at the money, just picked up the booklet that you put the cash/card in.  I have no problem with that because they are just trying to find out if they need to come back to the table.  If the server looked and saw it was $100 on a $50 bill and asked that would be inappropriate.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

Every time this has happened to me the server has not looked at the money, just picked up the booklet that you put the cash/card in.  I have no problem with that because they are just trying to find out if they need to come back to the table.  If the server looked and saw it was $100 on a $50 bill and asked that would be inappropriate.

Asking about a one-dollar bill for a five-dollar tab would be just as inappropriate because it's not the server's money.

Curious Cat

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »

Asking about a one-dollar bill for a five-dollar tab would be just as inappropriate because it's not the server's money.

I was exaggerating for effect.  My point was if they don't look I don't mind them asking because they don't know what is in the billfold.